Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-11-2018, 06:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Bootlegger Run, Texas

https://www.runthebootlegger.com/

This should be fun.

77 Trans Am, 469 w/ported E-Heads via Kauffman, matched HSD intake, Butler Performance forged rotating assembly, Comp custom hyd roller, Q-jet, Art Carr 200 4R, 3.42s, 3 inch exhaust w/Doug's cutouts, D.U.I. Ignition. 7.40 in the 8th, 11.61@116.07 in the quarter...still tuning.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:09 AM

Oh, hell yes!

CompCams 236/242 hydraulic roller
Tribal Tubes tri-y headers
TH400 13" Continental "Jim Hand Special"
3.50 9" CurrieTrac, 245/45-18 Front, 275/40-18 Rear
Old 02-11-2019, 12:20 AM

Navy Horn 16 - how was it? Looks like you might have been in the lineup? Will there be another edition?

Old 02-11-2019, 11:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It was a blast, I highly recommend it.

The course was set up as 3 days worth of driving. Each day had 3 intermediate stops where you would pick up a mason jar with a code to scan that would unlock the next part of the route in Google Maps. You had to pass check points along the way, and at the finish of the day they would check your google cache to make sure you stayed on the route.

They say it wasn't a race, but it was kind of a race. I was the oldest car by 38 years, had the largest engine, and was the only car without Air Conditioning. The lineup was a bunch of high end cars, mostly imports. There were two Audi R-8s, a Ferrari, Lotus, McLaren, Lambo, HellCat, GT 350, Nissan GTR, AMG Mercedes, a new Z06, a CTS V, and some other fancy ****.

Day 1 started in Dallas and finished at the Circuit Of The Americas in Austin, but it was about 400 miles of driving the way the route was set up. I didn't really know how the driving would go, if people would take it easy or haul ass. Just out the gate, it was obvious that the "It's not a race." talk in the driver's meeting was just CYAing. It was a race.

My brother was my "co-pilot", and he is a computer genius so he got the map thing figured out really fast. My car performed really well, and I was in the middle of the pack at the first checkpoint. By the second checkpoint I was in the top 3, and 1st by the last checkpoint. I ended up winning the first stage, prompting at least one spoiled mistress who was along as a "co-pilot" to accuse us of cheating. This was the same dumb broad that was complaining the whole time about the map not working and kept getting her driver lost.

We got to turn a few "familiarization" laps at COTA, and do the "carting" experience there. That was a good time.

Day 2 started at "The Oasis" in Austin, and then went way the hell out to Leakey. I was pissed about being accused of cheating, so I went ahead and won the 1st stage of the 2nd day, and then throttled back to enjoy the drive. We ran the "3 Twisted Sisters", and I learned that my my car had plenty of "go" but stock brakes weren't enough "woah". I've since upgraded.

https://www.ridetexas.com/the-twisted-sisters/

Day 2 ended at Fredericksburg, at the Airport Hotel, which is awesome.

Day 3 went up around Enchanted Rock, through the hill country and back to Fort Worth. I only made it to Enchanted Rock, and my brother and I decided to bail and head to the house. We both live on the west side of Austin, and 2 days in 100 degree temps driving 5+ hours per day with no AC had us fairly tired. And we both had to work on Monday.

It was a very well put together drive, and the route was just amazing. The fee that you pay is all inclusive (hotels, dinner, breakfast and events). I had fun running balls-out, and also had a really good time when I fell back from the lead and just enjoyed the drive. I fell in with a group of 4-5 other cars and we were running fast, but not all out. The group that runs it is up in Dallas, so that will probably be the starting/ending point again. There were some people that do road rallies all over the country, but most were Texans.

The "super-car" crowd is not my tribe though. There were some really snotty rich folks in the group, and I don't roll with people like that. If I do something like that again, it will probably be Power Tour.

I do believe they are going to do it again this year.

77 Trans Am, 469 w/ported E-Heads via Kauffman, matched HSD intake, Butler Performance forged rotating assembly, Comp custom hyd roller, Q-jet, Art Carr 200 4R, 3.42s, 3 inch exhaust w/Doug's cutouts, D.U.I. Ignition. 7.40 in the 8th, 11.61@116.07 in the quarter...still tuning.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

With the $1575 entry fee I expected the majority to be that type, lol.

Power Tour is more your crowd, but since it's not a competition per say, you might find that not as fun as a rally.

I'd enjoy driving and seeing the Texas countryside though, but I need that entry fee money for the gas

Old 02-11-2019, 04:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I got ethanol free gas for $1.67 on Friday at Buc-Eee's. That's basically free.

At first, the entry fee seemed pretty steep. It was actually pretty good value for everything. All meals were included, and really good. We had a stop for BBQ on lunch the first day, then a food truck at COTA.. 3 rounds of carting and parade laps and the executive tour at COTA..got to go up in the tower, etc. Really nice downtown hotel in Austin.. They had us park our cars in front of the hotel and roped them off. Then breakfast at the Oasis, a nice lunch out on the road and then the Airport Hotel totally rented out just for us.

The promoters are rally guys themselves, and didn't make a dime off the event. They just do it for fun.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh I'm sure it's worth every penny, I don't doubt that, I just got a kick out of your comments on the "clientele" and having the oldest car with the biggest engine We have similar runs out here in AZ and Nevada and it attracts the same type of cars, people riding in their high dollar air conditioned vettes and porches.

My hats off to ya though showing the yuppies how it's done with classic iron

P.S. You guys got it made on gas prices. Makes me want to cruise on over to Texas. $3.02 here for 91 octane with 10% ethanol.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I can get 100LL cheaper than that... Good grief.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:11 PM

Thanks for the followup. I saw your car in a photo of that track lineup but from a different perspective, which is why I thought you did in fact attend. I have watched a few of the videos, photoblogs, instagrams, whatever, of the trip. Seems like a lot of fun. Don't see that it is happening again this year though.