Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-16-2014, 12:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kinsler View Post
Didnt Magic Man say his calculator is coated????
Im NOT touchin that on any level LOL

Old 01-16-2014, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The funniest thing is John - This was directed at you primarily -- you come across as a know all -- see all wonderkin, your "tone" is grinding and usually condusive to starting aguments - not exchange ideas JMHO
Sure I know it was at me, but the concept applies to those who find it 'grinding'.

My writing these thinks don't make it so.
It physics.
Nothing to do with me or what I believe or what you actually think you know.

No, I don't have any pistons coated.
I don't try to be the fasted guy out here.

I just am fast.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 01-16-2014, 04:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
Sure I know it was at me, but the concept applies to those who find it 'grinding'.

My writing these thinks don't make it so.
It physics.
Nothing to do with me or what I believe or what you actually think you know.

No, I don't have any pistons coated.
I don't try to be the fasted guy out here.

I just am fast.

The more serious question is.......is your calculator? And is it up ...................LOL

ph. 248-259-6696

Last edited by john marcella; 01-16-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Thanks for making my point.

Most here can't comprehend that there could be a better way.
They are like lemmings following the herd.

If they would put away there opinions and biases, they might be able to go a little faster.

I really hate to say this.....for fear it makes me sound arrogant. We all have some but I feel it keeps us from learning. And I do not claim sole credit by any means for my engine running as it does.But here goes....

Who exactly do you think is in the "herd" that I'm following? In case you have not noticed my engine made 2.54 hp per cfm based on your sites hp calculator numbers in car, 2.42 off the dyno numbers. There is only 1 or 2 engines with Eheads That is reported to make more with a single fo and eheads. King kinsler showed about the same in the same conditions. I hear Bailey made a bunch too...more than us from what i hear. Wheres this big herd of WET SUMP,EHEAD, CAST VICTOR, SINGLE 4, TIMING CHAIN DRIVEN, NATURALLY ASPIRATED.....PONTIAC ENGINES THAT ARE DRAGGING ME AROUND?

Also please list your experience with coatings, nitrous, blowers, MR1 blocks and etc.....

I really probably come off as an aggressive sxxt stirrer. Sometimes I do and have fun with it. Sometimes I feel someone needs to be the guy who calls some of the self appointed experts on their crap. They build up an image of themselves that exceeds the reality of their experience. They CANNOT be wrong about anything they think or say, it must be considered FACT. They have no problem watching guys go out and invest hard earned money in things they "BELIEVE" will work. If it doesn't work so good...well you must have done it wrong. You see the "EXPERT" must protect his ego, self image,reputation, and his bravado at all costs. If they don't, someone might find out they have limited experience, knowledge, or credibility. They might have to live with being "REGULAR".What if people found out that they weren't really a genius.... And that they make mistakes. Even when its clear to everyone else they have lost the debate, they continue on with their bravado actually believing they are still fooling others. Its sad really. They are also limited in what they actually attempt due to this survival instinct of protecting their ego. If they try something and it isn't significantly better than everybody else's efforts...well thats disastrous. They will be flushed out and ridiculed. Flopper comes to mind. THE IMAGE MUST BE PROTECTED AT ALL COSTS!!!!!

This report brought to you by the guy who dropped a valve on the dyno, Blamed himself for a poor decision and posted pictures of it on the internet the same day.

YOUR EGO WILL CONTINUE TO PREVENT YOUR ADVANCEMENT IN KNOWLEDGE!

Being dead, it is not hard on you. You don't even know you're dead. It is hard on everyone else that is not dead.
BEING STUPID WORKS THE SAME WAY! The rest of us suffer.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mike leech For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2014, 05:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I really probably come off as an aggressive sxxt stirrer. Sometimes I do and have fun with it. Sometimes I feel someone needs to be the guy who calls some of the self appointed experts on their crap. They build up an image of themselves that exceeds the reality of their experience. They CANNOT be wrong about anything they think or say, it must be considered FACT. They have no problem watching guys go out and invest hard earned money in things they "BELIEVE" will work. If it doesn't work so good...well you must have done it wrong. You see the "EXPERT" must protect his ego, self image,reputation, and his bravado at all costs. If they don't, someone might find out they have limited experience, knowledge, or credibility. They might have to live with being "REGULAR".What if people found out that they weren't really a genius.... And that they make mistakes. Even when its clear to everyone else they have lost the debate, they continue on with their bravado actually believing they are still fooling others. Its sad really. They are also limited in what they actually attempt due to this survival instinct of protecting their ego. If they try something and it isn't significantly better than everybody else's efforts...well thats disastrous. They will be flushed out and ridiculed. Flopper comes to mind. THE IMAGE MUST BE PROTECTED AT ALL COSTS!!!!!

This report brought to you by the guy who dropped a valve on the dyno, Blamed himself for a poor decision and posted pictures of it on the internet the same day.

YOUR EGO WILL CONTINUE TO PREVENT YOUR ADVANCEMENT IN KNOWLEDGE!
Read all of this and pretend I wrote it.

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 01-16-2014, 05:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike leech View Post
Mike,
I did this back in '73. If you have not broken something then you are not trying. You can see the aluminum rods through the water hole.

Stan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eng_01.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	349560  

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
Old 01-16-2014, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Read all of this and pretend I wrote it.

LOL!

Let me get this strait....you want me and everybody to ignore my experience and accomplishments. And then pretend the part that was about YOUR ego, wasn't. Sounds just like the guy I was talking about in the post! LOL!

Being dead, it is not hard on you. You don't even know you're dead. It is hard on everyone else that is not dead.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mike leech For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2014, 05:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Weiss View Post
Mike,
I did this back in '73. If you have not broken something then you are not trying. You can see the aluminum rods through the water hole.

Stan
COOL! was it coated?

Old 01-16-2014, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Sounds just like the guy I was talking about in the post! LOL!
Yep, you sound just like the guy in your post.

I'd say you were looking in the mirror.

You, yourself, said you use the same stuff everyone else does.

So, what's the saying about if you do something 1000 times and the outcome is always the same?

Old 01-16-2014, 06:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

LOL! keep GUARDING it john. They'll never know.....

Old 01-16-2014, 06:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh yeah and....I am rubber you are glue it bounces off me and sticks to you so there!

Old 01-16-2014, 06:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Oh yeah and....I am rubber you are glue it bounces off me and sticks to you so there!
I see what you are doing there...using rubber and glue as some kind of analogy for coatings.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GTO Dan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2014, 06:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
COOL! was it coated?
Mike,
Does hard chroming the crank journals count as a coating? The crank was about the only thing that look good after that.

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
Pontiac Pump Gas List
Old 01-16-2014, 06:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWilkie View Post
Charlie, I've been looking at this over on YB... there are quite a few related threads...

A few things of interest...

E85 typically rates at "only" around 105 octane... yet many are running E85 at compression and/or boost levels that even 110 octane gas wouldnt do as well...

How octane is determined apparently does not account for the additional charge cooling over gasoline that ethanol provides... Seems that way from my take on things, I'd have to re-read some of the data I have on octane, flame propagation, and fuel... I may be forgetting something in my old age!

I've seen internet posts(YB mostly) of over 13.5:1 NA and over 10:1 compression with turbo boost near 30psi(intercooled/not intercooled)... Aluminum heads, E85 fuel.

Six-eight years ago talking with several builders... they all suggested anywhere from 1/2 point compression to full point compression more could be run with aluminum vs iron on same fuel. All said thats what it would take to keep power same all else equal. Chamber design would account for some of the spread as could cam timing, charge cooling, or anything else that affects compressed charge temperature and flame probability prior to ignition.

So... in answer to your question... iron will not allow as high a compression as aluminum on the same fuel.
Again, iron doesnt need as much compression as aluminum because iron doesnt dissapate heat as fast as aluminum...

So... 1/2-1 full point less compression using iron. Both could make same power on same fuel but the aluminum will require more compression ratio to do so.
When you say 13.5:1 n/a. Is that with a steel head there doing it? I wonder if anyone ever tried 14:1 with steel.. I friend of mine has a 509 bbc with aluminum heads running 13:1 with no problems. I have a set of 16 castings that I wanted to try @ 14:1. Would the ci effect the limits of ratio with e85? For example 400ci verse 540ci..

As for a boosted application. If I understand what your saying correctly , then my turbo motor I have will be ok with having 8.75:1 with 30 psi? So far I've been ok with 25psi.

I've been wondering about this for a while now.. I would like to try 34psi one day.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey, this is a rambling thread, stop distracting the entertainment

ph. 248-259-6696
Old 01-16-2014, 06:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Bahahahah, I was reading this last few posts and I was thinking " I know you are but what am I". But " Im rubber and your glue" works just as well. LMAO

ph. 248-259-6696
The Following User Says Thank You to john marcella For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2014, 07:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Mike,
Does hard chroming the crank journals count as a coating? The crank was about the only thing that look good after that.

Stan
I have coated bearings in my motor. And I always will, but more for oil control than anything else.

ph. 248-259-6696
Old 01-16-2014, 07:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Mike,

Stan
sure...its a coating. Is it worth horsepower.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
sure...its a coating. Is it worth horsepower.
Mike,
It was not worth any HP for me. But as they say your results may vary.

Stan

Pontiac Pump Gas List
Old 01-16-2014, 08:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Epic.... LOL