Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 08-14-2016, 02:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Big Chief going NHRA pro-mod racing

If he does indeed cram that little Pontiac down their throat, which we all hope he does, the world may tilt off its axis slightly. Good luck with it Big Chief!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-14-2016, 07:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

from Justins post on facebook:

soooooo, I am entered in the US Nationals in my slow wannabe Pro Mod!!!!! And I'm excited as hell!!

Just want to clarify a few things.

NHRA did not, has not, and haven't even spoken about paying me a dime to do anything.

I have a legitimate NHRA Pro Mod License, and I made my passes in front of other pro mod drivers (Kevin Fiscus Jeff Lutz) also in front of the tech inspector and track manager at Texas Motorplex back in April-May of this year and they signed off on my paperwork that I paid for, along with my physical.

I have the grade points needed by the rules.

I am spending every dime I have to make the car legal for all the rules NHRA has in place to keep me safe.

I have planned and told many many people that I was going to do everything I could to make this years US Nationals in my slow Pro Mod. And I did.

In the NHRA defense.....I have not contacted them requesting or requiring special treatment, and the NHRA did not contact me asking, paying, requesting, or requiring me to run at the US Nationals.

There are a few great people in Pro Mod that gave me some pointers and helped me understand the point system and how to obtain them so I could register over the last few months.

the Us Nationals is a dream come true, and to all the haters......I won't be the only one on that list that doesn't qualify lololol. I'll be lookin for your names, listed above me on the sheets after qualifying. Bet you ain't gonna be on there.

oh and no big cooperate sponsors bought me an engine or any crap like that.

I will be there with my car that I paid cash for (not my families money, not my dads money, not borrowed money, not sponsored money) Hard earned 100 dollar bills.

I will be driving my own car with my NHRA Pro Mod license that I earned.

I will be using my 4 year old Butler Pontiac 482 CI engine that I paid for

I will be tuning my own car with hard earned knowledge and a little luck

I will haul it to Indy (not fly in with my helmet) in my trailer I paid cash for, behind my 250k mile Chevy truck I paid for.

My car, my engine, my crew, my tools, my parts, my laptop, my friends and my stereo system in my trailer blasting offensive trap music all weekend lololol.....

How many of you throwing Internet stones can say the same thing? If any of you jerks wanted it near as bad as I do, your name would be on that list as well!!!!

Well said Justin!

Old 08-14-2016, 07:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good for him. That's a tough field to even try to get it, good luck to him.

It sounds like he has one helluva "fan" club on FB.

7.940@170.84. 3460#s
Old 08-14-2016, 08:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for posting that , Jim.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 08-14-2016, 08:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Zeek View Post
from Justins post on facebook:

soooooo, I am entered in the US Nationals in my slow wannabe Pro Mod!!!!! And I'm excited as hell!!

Just want to clarify a few things.

NHRA did not, has not, and haven't even spoken about paying me a dime to do anything.

I have a legitimate NHRA Pro Mod License, and I made my passes in front of other pro mod drivers (Kevin Fiscus Jeff Lutz) also in front of the tech inspector and track manager at Texas Motorplex back in April-May of this year and they signed off on my paperwork that I paid for, along with my physical.

I have the grade points needed by the rules.

I am spending every dime I have to make the car legal for all the rules NHRA has in place to keep me safe.

I have planned and told many many people that I was going to do everything I could to make this years US Nationals in my slow Pro Mod. And I did.

In the NHRA defense.....I have not contacted them requesting or requiring special treatment, and the NHRA did not contact me asking, paying, requesting, or requiring me to run at the US Nationals.

There are a few great people in Pro Mod that gave me some pointers and helped me understand the point system and how to obtain them so I could register over the last few months.

the Us Nationals is a dream come true, and to all the haters......I won't be the only one on that list that doesn't qualify lololol. I'll be lookin for your names, listed above me on the sheets after qualifying. Bet you ain't gonna be on there.

oh and no big cooperate sponsors bought me an engine or any crap like that.

I will be there with my car that I paid cash for (not my families money, not my dads money, not borrowed money, not sponsored money) Hard earned 100 dollar bills.

I will be driving my own car with my NHRA Pro Mod license that I earned.

I will be using my 4 year old Butler Pontiac 482 CI engine that I paid for

I will be tuning my own car with hard earned knowledge and a little luck

I will haul it to Indy (not fly in with my helmet) in my trailer I paid cash for, behind my 250k mile Chevy truck I paid for.

My car, my engine, my crew, my tools, my parts, my laptop, my friends and my stereo system in my trailer blasting offensive trap music all weekend lololol.....

How many of you throwing Internet stones can say the same thing? If any of you jerks wanted it near as bad as I do, your name would be on that list as well!!!!

Well said Justin!

And there you have it. Good luck Chief. Live the dream!

Old 08-14-2016, 09:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO Dan View Post
I think Chief ran as fast as 4.03 in the 1/8 mile in February at Lights Out. That's roughly a run in the mid 6's in the quarter based on a conversion calculator on John Wallace's site. I don't know if that is a good on version for a turbo car because the back half so strong or if he has run faster already because that was 6 months ao and I believe the engine wasn't running optimally. It will be interesting for sure.

Good luck and GO CHIEF!

That motor was hurt at Lights Out, needed bearings after every run, even with all of the trashing between rounds he went quicker every round, big respect for the guy, and I don't put anything past him.

What ever happened to the all aluminum motor Butler was building for him?

Old 08-14-2016, 11:34 AM

In one of Dragzines news articles, currently on there site is a story about Justin coming to qualify for the "Big Go". After the article is all the opinions about his attempt and chances of qualifying. In there I see Mr. Robert C. of All Pontiac chimes in and states not to count him out cause he got something for them. Without letting the cat out of the bag on what that is, should we the Pontiac community really have hope for a shot at this? Don t hate on me for the lack of my business sense here but really wish we purists would have supported All Pontiac.com when they were asking if designing a new block with more bore spacing was supported. Everything Justin is going up against is a hybrid of a factory name. Justin's a racer. He knows what he's doing. Travis Q. even made mention of that. He just needs support. He got my love. Good luck Justin.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you need 6.00 to qualify, to take .5 seconds off at that level is huge. I am all for Justin and Pontiac, but we are bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Old 08-14-2016, 12:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looking through the entry list for Indy, there is not a single engine based on a production pasenger car engine in the list. They are ALL Alan Johnson, Brad Anderson or Sonny's Billet block monsters. Bore spacing as well as most internal dimensions have been altered to optimize modern design for better alignment with the giant heads and what we have learned over the past 60 years. Much like the Indy 500, when Buick was running the V-6 against all the purpose built Cosworths and others, Justin will have his hands full. Again, not impossible, but unlikely. What a story it would be!

As far as how far he is off the pace to qualify, I think he is more like .20-.25 off the pace. If he ran a 4.03 in the 1/8th, assuming the car will continue to pull hard all the way, that would be more like a 6.15-6.20 in the quarter. I base this off our car. We can add 2 seconds to our 1/8 mile time and be very close to what we run in the quarter. This proves out on most nitro nostalgia funny cars. The nitro cars may pull a little harder in the second half than a turbo car, that I don't know. No doubt it will take his lifetime best runs to make the show.

Last edited by mgarblik; 08-14-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:02 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPONT View Post
If you need 6.00 to qualify, to take .5 seconds off at that level is huge. I am all for Justin and Pontiac, but we are bringing a knife to a gun fight.
This is the "BIG GO".......I/ll bet its gonna take a 5.80 something to get in . Good luck "Chief" but I don't think so. AllPontiac doesn't have a miracle for this. JMO

GTO George

Old 08-14-2016, 12:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Justin has been preparing for this, and I don't think he's going in blindly. He has playing around with Lutz on the track already, and the day this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pJVkR2fhRwk video was made, his car was running like crap. His car left better than Lutz's, but kinda layer down in that pass. He beat Kye Kelly that day, but it was kinda by default, because Kye's car died. He may just be that much slower than Lutz, but the Crowmod was running badly that day though, so we don't know.

I have no illusions that he had a shot of winning that race, but it would surprise me to see the all time fastest Pontiac record fall and maybe slip into the field. Justin has mentioned several times that if he had a billet block, they'd turn the boost way up.

I don't think he'd be going to embarrass himself.

'78 Lemans - Drag car project
Old 08-14-2016, 01:31 PM

Well we know the block is out there and it seems from the Boss Bird trials the main bearing issues may have been alleviated. Wouldn't t it be great if one just happened to show up at his doorstep say Monday....LOL. Whats Justin have about 2 weeks to assemble it. Add some more boost, you never now.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:35 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoat65 View Post
Well we know the block is out there and it seems from the Boss Bird trials the main bearing issues may have been alleviated. Wouldn't t it be great if one just happened to show up at his doorstep say Monday....LOL. Whats Justin have about 2 weeks to assemble it. Add some more boost, you never now.
NHRA limits boost on promods. I believe the boost limit is 42 psi. The boost controllers are are sealed and NHRA part numbers.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

To compete with those guys like said prior, they have big bore spacing different heads and big cubic inch. For what he has he is hauling the mail!!
I wish him luck, he is used to being the underdog! Go Pontiac!

Old 08-14-2016, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is what makes this tough.
http://www.nhra.com/UserFiles/file/T...2010-26-15.pdf

Quote:
SECTION 5: NHRA J&A SERVICE PRO MOD DRAG RACING SERIES,
ENGINE:1, TURBOCHARGER (Page 3) (10/26/2015)
Twin turbochargers limited to 88mm each. Turbocharger size will be verified by
measuring the housing bore at the leading edge of the impeller wheel. The
maximum diameter of the housing bore at the leading edge of the wheel may not
exceed 2mm more than the maximum allowable turbocharger size permitted. All
turbochargers must meet SFI Spec 61.1. Air-to-air or water-to-air intercoolers
prohibited.
Boost controller manufactured by Hyperaktive Performance Solutions, part No.
PMBL mandatory. No other boost controller or form of boost control permitted.
Must be installed per manufacturer’s instructions. Any modification to or any
attempt to disable or defeat the boost controller is prohibited. Maximum boost
may only be set by NHRA officials
Other rules limit cubic(526 iirc) inch AND bore space(4.9"iirc).

Boost PSI is a measure of restriction to flow. Ultimately it comes down to valve size as being one of the major factor in flow.

The engine capable of greater flow will be moving more mass air per pound of PSI boost.

The turbo size rules allow a bit of "cheating" but everyone will try to take max advantage with custom turbo's.

With those rules Justins motor comes up short on power compared to the other guys.

Justin having less power MIGHT help IF he can fully use what he's got START to FINISH and the competition cant use all they have for a full pass. He HAS to get far enough ahead he cant get run over at the stripe.

Other rules stipulate minimum weight. 2650 lbs for turbo cars. 2650/526 vs 2650/482 or 5.038 vs 5.497 lbs per ci a huge disadvantage given the limitations the turbo size and his valve size create.

I'm rooting for Justin regardless but the outcome will show we need stretched blocks and the heads to accomodate them to be truly competitive regardless how talented we(collectively) are.

Last edited by BruceWilkie; 08-14-2016 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoat65 View Post
Don t hate on me for the lack of my business sense here but really wish we purists would have supported All Pontiac.com when they were asking if designing a new block with more bore spacing was supported.
Some of us did. I am all for a 5" BS block,and Allpontiac said they could do it.
They decided on a 4.75.
There have been threads about this subject.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO Dan View Post
And there you have it. Good luck Chief. Live the dream!
X2.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
Thanks for posting that , Jim.

Eric
Thanks Jim!

Old 08-14-2016, 02:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can pass on a heads-up for Big Chief concerning tech at the "Big Go" . It's going to be like nothing he has ever experienced. Every tiny detail concerning the safety equipment will have to be 100% up to date, or they won't let him run. When we ran the NHRA Hot Rod Reunion earlier this year, it was crazy X 10. Items we have never had looked at in 20 years of drag racing were all of a sudden show stoppers. Like the little straps holding the engine diaper on being 3 months out of date. They have a 1 year certification. Like the friction discs in the clutch not having a sticker on them. Like the floaters not being stickered every year. He better have every single T crossed and every I dotted or he will be sitting in the pits all week. We spent over $500.00 at the track rounding up the little items we needed to be "legal" to run one race. Best to have all your Certs. in a book with easy access. A long way from "street racing".

Old 08-14-2016, 03:05 PM
Boost Engineer

The 88mm Turbo max size deal has been around for a long time.

Then as Bruce mentioned the 42 PSI of boost gets you to a given point, but 42 psi on a small engine/head flow is not the same as 42 psi on a large BAE type engine.

It will be a rough road the first time out.

Tom V.

ps I think that Don Walsh Jr might still hold the 254.4 MPH record (1/4 mile) June 2, 2012 at Englishtown with his 2011 Ford Mustang boosted by twin Precision Pro Mod 88 turbochargers. You think Justin can run 254.4 mph??? with a Pontiac?

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.