Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 08-11-2016, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Indy is Labor Day weekend every year.....actually it starts the Tuesday before Labor Day........

I wish Justin luck!

But nice job using this as a publicity stunt to get people in the stands.

“It’s the process it takes to get to goals that sets us apart, the execution on every single play, one play,one life”
Notre Dame Head Coach Marcus Freeman

69 GTO NHRA Super Street Car
2860lbs 10.890@157.08 MPH in Iowa in June’23 ,157.56 MPH in Gainesville in March ‘23
Old 08-11-2016, 06:23 PM
Suspended

Always labor day weekend. How may Pontiac freaks are coming now?

Sorry, should have started at the bottom. Question was answered multiple time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
When is Indy?

Old 08-11-2016, 07:14 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
I hope like hell it's a Pontiac under the hood and I hope like hell he qualifies, that would make some jaws hit the floor.

I guess I will ask those in the know on here, what are the big guns in that class running for HP, and wasn't his old combo over 3000, how far "off" was he?
Some of the combos in pro mod are pushing upward of 4k hp...

Old 08-11-2016, 07:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Who cares what motor he has under the hood how do you have ZERO!zip!zilch!nada! GRADE POINTS and you get into the U.S. NATIONALS how does that work?

Is he taking someone's spot that has been chasing it and doing it legally on a sanctioned track all last year and this year?
Or are they going to call it a exhibition vehicle running with the pro mods?

“It’s the process it takes to get to goals that sets us apart, the execution on every single play, one play,one life”

2860lbs 10.890@157.08 MPH in Iowa in June’23 ,157.56 MPH in Gainesville in March ‘23

Last edited by S/st 54; 08-11-2016 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:24 PM
Suspended

Hi Jason,

No offense but I care. Think about chief qualifying with a Pontiac. It could be like the Indy glory days when stock block buicks ruled qualifying. I think NH&RA are missing the boat if they don't recognize the opportunity. It would be easy to scale boost vs head flow vs bore diameter to add some engine diversity. PPTTFMF!

I hope you are doing well sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/st 54 View Post
Who cares what motor he has under the hood how do you have ZERO!zip!zilch!nada! GRADE POINTS and you get into the U.S. NATIONALS how does that work?

Is he taking someone's spot that has been chasing it and doing it legally on a sanctioned track all last year and this year?

Old 08-11-2016, 08:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
NHRA will need to print more tickets.

ERic
Exactly!
I have no inside info, other than the rumor I heard from one person about him potentially racing a Pro Mod at NHRA events.
It won't make a crap if Chief has a Briggs & Stratton under the hood.
It looks like someone @ NHRA might of have pulled their head out.
Motor sports attendance has been in a free fall for a few years with no hope in sight!
Indy is THE biggest drag racing event the NHRA has. With all food vendors, parts vendors, a huge facility, and large car count, I can see why someone had the bright idea to get Chief to the U.S. Nationals.
If Chief can pack this show, more things might change! It doesn't matter if ANY of the street outlaw fans know a Pontiac from a SBC, full bleachers is the name of the game!
Chief will make 4 qualifying passes (?, I think)and at least one competition run, there's 5 reasons why this deal will be off the charts!

Butts in the bleachers!
Regardless of what engine he has, It'll be good! I hope it's a Pontiac!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 08-11-2016, 08:52 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Quinton View Post
Hi Jason,

No offense but I care. Think about chief qualifying with a Pontiac. It could be like the Indy glory days when stock block buicks ruled qualifying. I think NH&RA are missing the boat if they don't recognize the opportunity. It would be easy to scale boost vs head flow vs bore diameter to add some engine diversity. PPTTFMF!

I hope you are doing well sir!

Yea.... Lets just give him 5 lengths and the crack..

Old 08-11-2016, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Roberts View Post
Yea.... Lets just give him 5 lengths and the crack..
LOL that's funny right there!!!!!!!! If he runs TJ I hope He remembers he's in his heads up car and doesn't start ripping it so he doesn't hog up the stripe.

Aaron Q.....that would be friggin sweet if he did qualify with Pontiac power!
I was just asking a question that racers have been asking me all day.
I think it's great Chief will be there and yes they should print more tickets!All of those guys have been a cash cow for a few years now.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
LOL that's funny right there!!!!!!!! If he runs TJ I hope He remembers he's in his heads up car and doesn't start ripping it so he doesn't hog up the stripe.

Aaron Q.....that would be friggin sweet if he did qualify with Pontiac power!
I was just asking a question that racers have been asking me all day.
I think it's great Chief will be there and yes they should print more tickets!All of those guys have been a cash cow for a few years now.

I have no idea what the rules are at that level, but could this be an instance where he is filling out the field? I know MANY years ago Nascar had trouble filling a field and a racer from a lower series was as to tow in?

Old 08-11-2016, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Look at the Butler ProMod and that will give you an idea of what can be done. It's a knife at a gun fight, but I will be watching and rooting for him if he keeps the Pontiac under the hood.

What will be more interesting to me is Chief running it out the back door. Has he ever run the 1/4 mile in completion?

Old 08-11-2016, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This will be his first 1/4 mile.

The car will have his real Pontiac engine in it.

Pro Mod isn't really an official NHRA class. It's "owned" by the folks that put up the money for it and they can make their own rules. I don't believe grade points apply.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 08-11-2016, 09:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
So that puts Justin about 1k short...BUT Butlers have always claimed they could never make use of all the power they had with the Tempest. Hmmm! Do they limit turbo size in Pro Mod? I see the CI difference from NA to boosted. Guess I need to look at pro mod rules. 455 ci? 4" stroke with 4.255 bore gets you there...they'd have to RPM big time. Way more than the competition AND use a head beyond wideport platform to get there.

Rumor from over 1 yr ago has it Butlers have been looking at the 4" stroke for some time now.

455 sorta makes sense in a weird sort of way...he is less likely to win but ci so much smaller makes him the underdog with less expectation of actually going faster than the other guys.

Dont take it wrong guys I'd like to see him be competitive with a Pontiac, its just that its going to be near impossible. 75 cubes is a lot to give up especially with Pontiac bore spacing.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:31 PM
Suspended

Quote:

I'll bet they don't have E-Heads on top their engine! LOL!

GTO George

Old 08-11-2016, 10:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
I have no idea what the rules are at that level, but could this be an instance where he is filling out the field? I know MANY years ago Nascar had trouble filling a field and a racer from a lower series was as to tow in?
Not a filler thing by a long shot.....It's a money thing and hats off to everyone involved for making this happen!
Its good for the sport

Old 08-12-2016, 01:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Where are these 3K and 4k HP numbers coming from?

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
Old 08-12-2016, 07:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

I guess Justin cares what engine is in his car...he understands he is the underdog and that is the allure...if he throws a 481X or 526 BAE in there he just becomes another wannabe...this is a great thing for us "real" Pontiac guys...real "David and Goliath" story...

Old 08-12-2016, 08:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Goat1 View Post
I guess Justin cares what engine is in his car...he understands he is the underdog and that is the allure...if he throws a 481X or 526 BAE in there he just becomes another wannabe...this is a great thing for us "real" Pontiac guys...real "David and Goliath" story...
Or do you think this is like a Tim Tebow (bring your fan club and make sure they buy a ticket)come play QB in the NFL kinda things??
I mean We all pull for the guy and want to see him do well at that level!!!

Either way your right it's a awesome deal and opportunity!
I really hope he does have a Pontiac motor under the front end because as a fan I WOULD LOVE TO SEE HOW QUICK AND FAST he could go on a black lines matter race track(a well prepped tight track)

Your ball busting cracks me up you have gota be 1 of the only racers from Tahlequah I haven't hung out with at the track....I always enjoy hanging out with Larry and Shawn.....Terry, Crystal& Ty...damn good folks down there so I figure you are too!

Last edited by S/st 54; 08-12-2016 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A lot of us around here care what is under his hood. Good luck Justin! I understand switching power plant at some point in order to be competitive, but I'd rather see him be the underdog with a Poncho. I'm gonna have to watch the televised event now, something I haven't done in years. That's a plus for the NHRA, bringing in new viewers.

T-400/PTC 4000/390's/30x9 Hoosier radial slicks,#3400
1.38 60' 6.32 @ 108 MPH at Northeast Dragway NC 5/23/15 (9th pass on new engine)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ePCu2v...ature=youtu.be

1.37 60' 6.26 @ 109 half track, 9.86 @ 136 1/4 mile, #3350 11/26/16 at Richmond Dragway (125th pass on new engine)
Old 08-12-2016, 09:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
This will be his first 1/4 mile.

The car will have his real Pontiac engine in it.

Pro Mod isn't really an official NHRA class. It's "owned" by the folks that put up the money for it and they can make their own rules. I don't believe grade points apply.

Eric
Cool Eric - having Pontiac power there

Old 08-12-2016, 09:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455firebird1969 View Post
A lot of us around here care what is under his hood. Good luck Justin! I understand switching power plant at some point in order to be competitive, but I'd rather see him be the underdog with a Poncho. I'm gonna have to watch the televised event now, something I haven't done in years. That's a plus for the NHRA, bringing in new viewers.
X2...