Isn't that what the off season is for?

Jim
Jim, thats funny, thanks.
Maurice

Old 12-31-2013, 02:57 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gifford View Post
It's difficult for me to imagine the cam profiles involved to create valve collision. I don't know the lift values for the KRE hemi heads (for collision), but they looked to me to be improved in that respect over "old" hemi design, like my M/T heads (60 degrees between valves). And I recently mocked up mine specifically for that purpose- my valves would need to be simultaneously open .230" each. The cam profiles I've chosen (aiming for peak HP @ 9,000 RPM) won't come anywhere near colliding my valves. Yes, this will be a small engine (182 c.i. four-cylinder) with small valves (2.030", max.lift .650"). But even for an engine of, say, 600 c.i. with large valves (~2.400", ~1" lift), I have trouble picturing both valves being open (during overlap) that much (or maybe more on the KRE?).
Today, Jack, there are competition engines running with 1.250" of valve lift.
Approximately DOUBLE the lift of your .650 camshaft engine. Just saying.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:01 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via Yahoo to STALLION

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw_poncho View Post
After torching a hole in my e-heads I looked around at all possible options that I could find. I wanted a solid or a billet head. Couldn find a solid e-head and no response from edlebrock.

Tigers could be made solid but I was trying to get away from standard pontiac exh ports.

Tried to see if I could get a set of RAV's billets from Elarson. I understand why they wouldnt sell.

Never heard of the company that Jack used so I missed the boat on that one or I would have been game.

I think Roland offer a billet cv1 after i purchased my cv-1's.

KRE wouldnt respond to two of my emails and I left a message to discuss their heads with no call back. I think this was option was the best possible option for me but they didnt respond

This thread is a prime example why I dont care to get on here anymore. Travis made the mistake of trying to compliment advances and it "seems" like some took offense they didnt get on the "list". Others just whine and moan.

For me to be competitive "I believe" Im getting my engine sorted out then switching to BBC. Much easier to get support and buy parts that have some data behind them.
jdw, read my #38 post, you will like it. A lot of people say/said the same thing as you about the emails and phone calls not returned, in many of passed threads.
I was at the PRI show and talked to the Head, Head Engineer at Edelbrock. He said the same thing to me when I was telling him how I wanted to change the exhaust ports design.
In my mind, if you want to make any Traditional type Pontiac head the most RACE efficient, you have to cut the exhaust ports flush to the side of the head, put a 2.400 intake valve and play with the intake runners and move some stuff around in the valve train. I am trying to do that with my heads but lots of R&D and cash.
So YES, why not just go to a BBC, order a 1,000 to 1,500hp plus motor, pick it up in most of the time, 1 month or less and not waist your time on this web site complaining.
Maurice

Old 12-31-2013, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
After torching a hole in my e-heads I looked around at all possible options that I could find. I wanted a solid or a billet head. Couldn find a solid e-head and no response from edlebrock.

Tigers could be made solid but I was trying to get away from standard pontiac exh ports.

Tried to see if I could get a set of RAV's billets from Elarson. I understand why they wouldnt sell.

Never heard of the company that Jack used so I missed the boat on that one or I would have been game.

I think Roland offer a billet cv1 after i purchased my cv-1's.

KRE wouldnt respond to two of my emails and I left a message to discuss their heads with no call back. I think this was option was the best possible option for me but they didnt respond

This thread is a prime example why I dont care to get on here anymore. Travis made the mistake of trying to compliment advances and it "seems" like some took offense they didnt get on the "list". Others just whine and moan.

For me to be competitive "I believe" Im getting my engine sorted out then switching to BBC. Much easier to get support and buy parts that have some data behind them.

It sounds like you need to deal with another engine builder.

Only one really bitching and crying was John TA1 and he just Internet races.

Gotta have thick skin on the Internets!

And piss on a BBC!
Just sayn!

7.940@170.84. 3460#s
Old 12-31-2013, 03:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

I don't recall when we talked but if it was before we had run down the track with our heads, I didn't want anybody else stuck with them if they had hidden issues. In fact, we made a few subtle but important changes after we had them downtrack a few times.

I'm not interested in being in the head business but could arrange to have some made now on an "actual cost plus a set fee" basis. They have big chambers (149 cc) so they're really only good for limited applications (nitro with a flat piston or blown alcohol with a domed piston).

FWIW,
Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 12-31-2013, 05:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
I don't recall when we talked but if it was before we had run down the track with our heads, I didn't want anybody else stuck with them if they had hidden issues. In fact, we made a few subtle but important changes after we had them downtrack a few times.

I'm not interested in being in the head business but could arrange to have some made now on an "actual cost plus a set fee" basis. They have big chambers (149 cc) so they're really only good for limited applications (nitro with a flat piston or blown alcohol with a domed piston).

FWIW,
Eric
149cc - daaaaaamn - do you camp in there at night so you dont need a motorhome at the races -- :-)

Old 12-31-2013, 05:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALLION View Post
jdw, read my #38 post, you will like it. A lot of people say/said the same thing as you about the emails and phone calls not returned, in many of passed threads.
I was at the PRI show and talked to the Head, Head Engineer at Edelbrock. He said the same thing to me when I was telling him how I wanted to change the exhaust ports design.
In my mind, if you want to make any Traditional type Pontiac head the most RACE efficient, you have to cut the exhaust ports flush to the side of the head, put a 2.400 intake valve and play with the intake runners and move some stuff around in the valve train. I am trying to do that with my heads but lots of R&D and cash.
So YES, why not just go to a BBC, order a 1,000 to 1,500hp plus motor, pick it up in most of the time, 1 month or less and not waist your time on this web site complaining.
Maurice
I wasnt complaining, just offered facts on why its tough to move pontiac performance forward.

I agree on the exhaust port, hopefully I have good success with my pontiac in 2014 while Im working out the BBC build.

Old 12-31-2013, 05:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL Jack View Post
It sounds like you need to deal with another engine builder.

Only one really bitching and crying was John TA1 and he just Internet races.

Gotta have thick skin on the Internets!

And piss on a BBC!
Just sayn!
Whining and moaning, not bitching and crying. Get it straight...

I will still have a pontiac, but I will also have another car with a BBC.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:

FWIW,
Eric
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...93#post4433793

I also sent you a PM to discuss a different option around that time. I think you declined because you couldnt get the cost down to a reasonable amount. I didnt know what that amount was so I didnt inquire anymore.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:09 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via Yahoo to STALLION

Quote:
I wasnt complaining, just offered facts on why its tough to move pontiac performance forward.

I agree on the exhaust port, hopefully I have good success with my pontiac in 2014 while Im working out the BBC build.
jdw, don't take it the wrong way.
I was not singling you out not at all, all us Pontiac guys complain, me included.
I want to go really fast at a fair/reasonable price. (is there such a thing in drag racing as a fair/reasonable price) ???
Maurice

Old 12-31-2013, 07:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...93#post4433793

I also sent you a PM to discuss a different option around that time. I think you declined because you couldnt get the cost down to a reasonable amount. I didnt know what that amount was so I didnt inquire anymore.
Thanks for the reminder. The first set of heads cost me over $14k to make (bare with seats and guides). We switched to another CNC machinist who did better work at lower cost. Jack's heads at $11k sounds about right.

Eric

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 12-31-2013, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeise View Post
149cc - daaaaaamn - do you camp in there at night so you dont need a motorhome at the races -- :-)
Nitro wants low compression (6:1) and no shock waves, so there is no squish area. It's just a big smooth bowl.

Eric

Old 12-31-2013, 08:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Nitro wants low compression (6:1) and no shock waves, so there is no squish area. It's just a big smooth bowl.

Eric
Wow, I never new it was that low.

7.940@170.84. 3460#s
Old 12-31-2013, 08:11 PM
Suspended

So is anyone going to tell us what the kre dragster did that was so great? Still haven't heard or seen it. Waiting.............

Old 12-31-2013, 09:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
So is anyone going to tell us what the kre dragster did that was so great?

Quote by Travis Q:
Quote:
The ones I mentioned have really thought outside the box and made actual design changes and improvements to the original Pontiac design....look at what Eric did with the nitro-specific V head. Look at what Mellott and the Kauffmans have done with the Warp6 head and billet block....tons and tons of great changes there!!
Jeff Kauffman 6.454 @ 220.26 mph - Rear Engine Dragster MR-1A Pontiac block with KRE Cast Warp 6 Aluminum Heads Screw Charger on Alcohol

For the reading impaired.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 12-31-2013, 10:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post

Quote by Travis Q:

Jeff Kauffman 6.454 @ 220.26 mph - Rear Engine Dragster MR-1A Pontiac block with KRE Cast Warp 6 Aluminum Heads Screw Charger on Alcohol

For the reading impaired.

That's still not faster then Rodney and Travis TT 63 Tempest brick!

EHTTFMF

7.940@170.84. 3460#s
The Following User Says Thank You to LiL Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2013, 11:08 PM
Suspended

Like I said....what is so impressive? Aluminium block, and these great heads and its not as quick as 3 traditional headed cars..oh yeah..they all out weigh the dragster by 400+ lbs. Boy..that sure is impressive!

Old 01-01-2014, 12:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL Jack View Post
That's still not faster then Rodney and Travis TT 63 Tempest brick!

EHTTFMF
If we only had some Gangsta Pontiac heads!! I wanna be Lil Jack when I grow up!! LOL

GPHTTF!!

Happy New Year dude.

TQ

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Travis Q For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2014, 02:22 AM
Suspended

I don't think Jeff ran the Warp 6 heads on his dragster, just the Billet HP Heads.

GTO George

Old 01-01-2014, 02:39 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
... competition engines running with 1.250" of valve lift...
I realize that. But for Travis and Rodney's turbo deal, I wouldn't expect to see them use more than an inch lift- which I doubt would create valve collisions in the KRE hemi head. Let's see if Travis will chime in...