Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 02-16-2013, 10:57 AM

Congratulations on your new cylinder head! Anything that's capable of flowing over 500cfm ought to make enough power to start breaking a lot more parts Can't wait to see the new most powerful Pontiac head.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:19 AM

Don
Do you think that these would fit under a stock Firebird 400 hood, without having a compromised intake? Before you answer realize I may not be your target customer as I don't need more than say 350 to 370 cfm for my horsepower goal.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats on moving forward with your program Don. All the best towards reaching your goals.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:03 PM
Senior Chief

Exciting news. These are the heads I've always wanted.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very cool.

So about your street heads....are these going to be something that will work on mild to wild? Or are they just geared tward huge CI, max effort type of higher HP street cars?

-1967 GTO HO Restomod. PKMM 433ci, SilverSport T56 Magnum 6spd, Moser 9", SC&C and a bunch of other pro touring goodies

- Build Thread
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...615847&page=23
Old 02-16-2013, 06:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dci View Post
Sounds nice! Can't wait to see a set on the track!

2550#s is on the heavy side, then I am going on The Biggest Loser

Ya, I should have included that's for a chassis car LOL!!!

I hope the Pontiac community embraces my new V heads and my sales reflect that. I have a couple of other idea's on the drawing board that I know will be a big hit with our Loyal group of enthusiast. One of which I am having the tooling done for right now and hope to have completed soon as well. It's been awhile since I have been in the game, but I'm back and stronger than ever. I need major support from all of you though so that I can continue to bring new idea's and products to market. Unfortunately money does not grow on tree's LOL.

Thanks,
Don Johnston
DCI MOTORSPORTS INC.
330-850-5050 Shop
330-628-3354 cell
Designer of the DCI Tiger Heads and the NEW DCI Ram Air V heads !!!!!!
Ever think about doing an OHC type of deal like the old experimental stuff??!!?? That would get weird!!

-1967 GTO HO Restomod. PKMM 433ci, SilverSport T56 Magnum 6spd, Moser 9", SC&C and a bunch of other pro touring goodies

- Build Thread
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...615847&page=23
Old 02-17-2013, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

An intake that can fit under the stock hood I do believe can be fabricated. It may compromise the heads a little, but I don't think that it will hurt them much( maybe 15-20 HP). The biggest thing I think it will hurt would be torque (maybe 30-35 ft lbs.). Although I think these heads on 412 plus cubes torque is not going to be a concern even compromised a little.

The street version of the head has some features that I designed into the port that improve port speed. So I feel these can be used on what I would consider a conservative street engine say 412 - 467 cubes and still maintain very good street manors. This is going to be a pretty versatile head and can be made to work from mild to wild. I think that it's going to be real interesting when guy's like Jim Robertson, John Marcella, and Calvin Hill among others not to mention myself get their hands on these. I designed allot room for imagination into these heads, and I think these will definitely take us to the next level. I would really like to see someone make 1300 + HP normally aspirated, but I'm putting the cart before the horse. So we will just have to wait and see. I'm sure that we are going to get the nay sayers, but I'm use to that. When I first came out with the Tiger's I had people telling me you can't get 400 cfm from a Pontiac style head. Then they said there is no way they will make 1,000 normally aspirated HP!!!!!

As for overhead cams or exotic one off items. I will leave that up to someone else. I think my audience is already limited enough.

Don Johnston
DCI MOTORSPORTS INC.
330-850-5050 Shop
330-628-3354 cell

Old 02-17-2013, 01:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can the pushrod be moved over out of the port?

Old 02-17-2013, 01:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Then its not a V head?Tom

Old 02-17-2013, 01:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with Tom s, plus the fact that the pushrod geometry would be way out to lunch. Not saying it cannot work. I just don't think that it is a good idea. The race version of my head will have a net csa of 5.2" that's after calculating the amount of area the tube takes up. I know what your thinking though, the pushrod tube is going to disrupt flow.I have considered that, and I have done allot of testing with the tube in the port and think the way I have it designed now. It is not going to be a big factor. There is no doubt it does effect the flow path, but the way I designed the port I have tried to minimize that. After I get them finished I would like to have them flowed on a wet flow bench just to see how well it does work. If needed I will make adjustments to the cores to correct anything that might not look kosher. I have done actual flow testing as well as computer generated models to address this problem, but only actual on engine testing will determine what direction I need to go if any.

Don Johnston
DCI MOTORSPORTS INC.
330-850-5050 Shop
330-628-3354 cell

Old 02-17-2013, 05:28 PM
Boost Engineer

Did you do any CFD work on the pushrod tube, Don?

If not, possibly I could get one of our guys to do a simple model of the diameter (area) of the port, the diameter of the cast in Pushrod Boss, and how much "tail" the boss would need to have proper flow without separation.

Then you could cast the boss/tail to that basic dimension and let the porters do the fine tweaking.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67copperbird View Post
Don
Do you think that these would fit under a stock Firebird 400 hood, without having a compromised intake? Before you answer realize I may not be your target customer as I don't need more than say 350 to 370 cfm for my horsepower goal.
I think magic man marcella can handle that.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jim Robertson made me a 2-4 sheetmetal tunnel ram that would fit under the hood of my 69 firebird.REALLY nice piece.Maybe he has a pic and can post.Tom

Old 02-19-2013, 07:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Looks great. I'm glad to see there are guys who are into this kind of stuff, but I would be concerned about the head height. As you can see in this picture, trying to clear the valve cover to washer motor will be a problem with a taller head on a Firebird.

Sure would be nice if someone would make a hemi over head cam tunnel port head. That way you could remove the push rod tube all together.

Oh, and if anyone wants to cut up a NOS intake for the crossover, I have one...

;o)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-02-19 at 3.31.09 PM.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	313686  

Last edited by 428RA4; 02-19-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Race cars dont have those issues that we have on our street cars.Tom

Old 02-19-2013, 07:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yep. Understood, but if you are going to make a street head, would you not want to be able to stuff it in your engine bay without all the headaches of modifications?

Old 02-19-2013, 07:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If designed as a street head it would have been copied after the stock head.As a race head it was designed with a straighter shot at the valve making the raised port more desireable.Maybe Don will correct if im wrong.Tom

Old 02-19-2013, 08:06 PM
Suspended

If Don had just wanted to copy the stock RA V head he could have. Fitment would have been easier in a stock car of course. But I imagine its hard to justify spending the money recreating these heads without the idea of improving them. The design was better when they came out for racing than most of what Pontiac put out, but with the knowledge we have today you can make more power and still have it more streetable than the originals.

If that takes some moving things around under the hood...so be it. If having everything neatly packaged under the hood factory like is a priority theres always a new vette, or shelby mustang in the dealer's showroom...lol

Congrats Don! Makes me wonder how they'll do with a little boost...

Old 02-19-2013, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OR there is always a stock set of V heads!Tom

Old 02-19-2013, 08:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Understood Gentleman, but why bother making the exterior LOOK like a factory head and go through all the trouble to do so when your objective is to make a better head? Sounds like a conflict in design. I'm all for improving the heads, but if you can't stuff a factory looking head into your factory car, then your market shall be limited to racers for the most part.

I'm just pondering the global picture of the project and wonder if the sacrifices were weighted vs. market sales.