I would definitely buy a RA-V alum head if someone made them. 69 24.13%
I would seriously consider buying a RA-V alum head combo. 147 51.40%
RA-V's are too out in left-field for me. 24 8.39%
A RA-V program will be successful, but I wouldnt ever buy one. 14 4.90%
RA-V's are neat, but will never sell. 32 11.19%
Voters: 286. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-09-2005, 05:50 PM

mr dude:

their would be no incentive to markit a head that had less potential than the DCI head and at more money cost.

Watch the superchief be obsoleted by this dci head.

Old 01-09-2005, 06:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If someone wants to market a New head.

Why don't they just start with a Clean piece of paper and design an I.R. head from scratch.

Like they didn't with the SB-2 S.B.Chvey head.
The Ford head.
And the B.B.C. Pro Stock Head.

Forget the Hemi head. It's a current marketing tool and is only an advantage for power adder application in today's technology.

Do the ports and water passages, then worry about the bolts later.

Old 01-09-2005, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You don't need a big head when you have a BIG TURBO.

7.940@170.84. 3460#s
Old 01-09-2005, 06:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Trust me............. those 540 plus BBC's with Turbo's flow some big numbers.

Old 01-09-2005, 06:43 PM

what does IR mean???

Old 01-09-2005, 06:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Indepedant Runners or Seperate as in each is the same in port shape and design.

Old 01-09-2005, 07:01 PM

i'm lost here.

ru saying that all intake ports aren't already separate and the same lengths??

isn't ir usullly used to describe an intake manifold and not a head design???

Old 01-09-2005, 07:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

even the small fords with thumper turbos have heads flowing some big numbers

Old 01-09-2005, 07:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Les, look at a LS1 or a SBF head, they are the same as in shape, turns, ect. The intake runners on a pontiac head are not exact, if you get the chance to look at one, they curve different directions.

Old 01-09-2005, 07:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm sure Marty P. d- ports didn't flow big numbers.

7.940@170.84. 3460#s
Old 01-09-2005, 08:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As Lynn has mentioned before, HP from head air flow isn't determined by Cubic Inches of the engine.
Calc HP from Airflow
I believe the main problem with the RA V program was the rpm limits back then with the parts that were available then.
With a better designed/utilized engine now the rpms could be increased and the HP will follow,without going to extreme engine size.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 01-09-2005, 08:20 PM

I think there would be a great market for them. Remember the Tiger heads are suppose to cost around $7500.00 unported. Even if the RAV's flowed less than the Tiger heads, for $2500.00 I would buy the RAV's over the Tiger heads. I don't know about alot of you, but I could spend an extra $5000.00 on alot of things.lol

Chop-Chop
Old 01-09-2005, 08:26 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LiL Jack:
I'm sure Marty P. d- ports didn't flow big numbers. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

no but the butlers heads flowed bigger numbers and there turbo motor made 1000 horsepower more.

Old 01-09-2005, 08:30 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by johnta1:
As Lynn has mentioned before, HP from head air flow isn't determined by Cubic Inches of the engine. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i think everybody understands that john. but horsepower is determined by airflow and by rpm. without a 525+ head our pontiacs arent going to outpower the pro stock chevy motors with heads that do. not sure why lynne believes otherwise; he hasn't been able to explain why. but i garantee you this much: ur not going to do it with a $2500 dollar head either!!!

Old 01-09-2005, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I really think Lynn is talking for a set of stock type cast alu RA Vs.THEN you need to have someone do a lot of magic to them.Maybe he will answer.Tom

Old 01-09-2005, 08:55 PM

people have had 36+ years to do magic on them. pick whatever magicians u want to do their magic on them: david copperfield, harry whodini, sigfried and roy, nunzi and steinbrick, whoever. ur NOT going to make either the airflow OR the horse power of a modern pro stock head. alan johnson, gm performance, world products, keith black and so many others have had 40 years to develop the bbc head used in nhra and ihra prostock. why has nobody used a round intake port? dont you think they tried?

Old 01-09-2005, 09:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tom s:
jkgto,headers are no problem,you just have to step up to get a set of custom headers.Fooling around with ANY RA V project is not cheap.I found a local guy that is going to do my car as soon as the engine is in.I will let you know the cost when its done.Tom <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom,
Yeah I know it aint cheap putting a V together. Thats why it is taking me sooo long. I guess that is what I was trying to say in my post. Stock intakes around $1200-1500, Custom cam around $600, Headers around $1000. Looked a long time to get someone to make me a set of headers. No one close to me available. Ron Watt(tunnelport) on the board here is supposed to be making me a set. Maybe I will get a spare set made up from your guy Tom. Let me know. Aluminum heads would sure be cool. How many would have to be made to get the price to $2500? I think a lot of people would get a set if money was no object. But it always is. Jim

Old 01-09-2005, 09:33 PM

Would these heads help out the guys trying to compete in PRO and some of the other series and are not getting to use some of the newer heads on the market because of things like valve placement? If these were a RAV based head, they might have a better chance running these by the officials.

Old 01-09-2005, 09:46 PM

jkgto:

call tom dawson at dawson racing headers. tom will sit down with u and show u how to build ur own headers. the hardest part, he said, is deciding in ur mind where u want the pipes to go. the welding part is the easy part. give him a call. he mite even have the V flanges but i don't know.

les

Old 01-09-2005, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I say that a RA V type head done the way Tom's was for his T/A, would fill a void between fully ported Eheads, KRE heads, Wenzler series 2 heads and the Tiger heads. That is one reason I said to cast them with a filled floor to begin with. 370 cfm is a great place to start for alot of engines still using a stock block. I can promise you that I can make a 9.50 pass anywhere all day long in a 3600 lb. car with 370 cfm and a street type roller cam.(under 250 degrees duration at .050"lift). A 455 with good steel rods or a 4.25 crank in a 400 block will do it. No NOS, no blowers and make the runs on pump gas. I have done it with chevies, ford and a mopar, so give me a head like that, and a good intake, and I'll beat the rest I have done with the Pontiac.