I would seriously consider buying a RA-V alum head combo. 147 51.40%
RA-V's are too out in left-field for me. 24 8.39%
A RA-V program will be successful, but I wouldnt ever buy one. 14 4.90%
RA-V's are neat, but will never sell. 32 11.19%
Voters: 286. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-2005, 07:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to NHRASuperStock455SD

I spent all day yesterday with a fellow that has considerable experience in doing engine castings, in particular block and cylinder head castings in the aftermarket industry.

We are discussing the possibility of doing a RA-V engine program. Would like to get a feel for what you Pontiac guys think.

I think the ball park price would be $2500 range.

Advantages:

*Shorter intake runner for superior intake design

*Better intake configuration than conventional Pontiac

*More attention to velocity parameters for improvement in volumetric efficiency.

*Capable of matching a large bore engine further than what exits today for a Pontiac. IE 4.5 plus bores like the Buick guys already have.

*A very good quality casting done by a casting maker doing aftermarket alum castings for 30 years. (with an existing very popular cylinder head company).

*Some sort of casted intake with a single 4 top or a dual 4 top. Regular 4's or dominator.

Comments positive or negative welcome.

Lynn McCarty

lmc3470@aol.com
www.ChemicalManagementIndiana.com
317-260-3486

Last edited by NHRASuperStock455SD; 01-19-2007 at 11:05 PM.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We look very hard at this head and did some flow numbers at Roush. The push rod thru the port is an issue. The separation of the two center exhaust valves will be a plus.
The port had good volume but not good velocity as is. It is old technology in the head industry. If you move the valves is like a Chevy Pontiac head.

I have some good pictures and flow numbers back at the shop. I will post later if I get a chance.

The intake port looks like a baby large mouth bass.

Good luck.

Quickest, Fastest, Best selling Pontiac Aftermarket Block IA II and Tiger Heads

Boss Bird Funny Car
Best pass to date 08/06/2016 6.027@231.64
Allpontiac Big Chief Aluminum Engine Block

http://www.AllPontiac.com
Old 01-08-2005, 09:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lynn,you know im in for a couple sets.Tom

Old 01-08-2005, 10:01 PM
Suspended

Sounds good to me, put me on your list! I've always said someone should do a High Port RAV head.

Old 01-08-2005, 10:41 PM

what happened to my post? i took a long to write that.

Old 01-08-2005, 11:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here we go again! I want to retire soon, and you guys keep coming out with this stuff. I have two tall deck IA blocks, two pair of Wenzler heads, a Gutsram and an original Wenzler tunnel ram. Now just how in the hell am I supposed to pass this up? It's like someone said, If you can't run with the big dogs, you better stay on the porch!

64 GTO, tube chassis w/606" IA tall deck, PG & a pro geared Fab 9". 2750 lbs.
8.2550@164.17-1/4, 5.2901@131.97-1/8, 1.1981-60-ft. 8/10/08

Old 01-08-2005, 11:58 PM

are you kidding me? Of course I would like at least one or two sets to make the IA2 block run. Now if someone would step up and produce a decent crank!!!!!!

Old 01-09-2005, 12:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to NHRASuperStock455SD

Les,

What did you post? I didnt see it. Email me directly if you cant get it to post.

lmc3470@aol.com

thanks,

Lynn

lmc3470@aol.com
www.ChemicalManagementIndiana.com
317-260-3486
Old 01-09-2005, 07:09 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Les Apt:
what happened to my post? i took a long to write that. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Les-
I haven't seen the post you are refering to, but several things may have occured-

Occasionally the board host's computer rejects posts before we get to see them. Doesn't happen very often, but things happen. They just head out into cyberspace somewhere, I guess.

If there was any offensive language, it would have been automatically kicked into all the moderator's email boxes for approval. (but I didn't see it)

If someone objected to the post (for whatever reason) it would have also been kicked into the moderators' mailboxes. (but I didn't see that, either) The person reporting the post would have to convince one of the moderators to pull it.

There have been some changes made to the board in recent days and when changes are going into affect, I've had posts not show up. Sometimes I can use the 'back' arrow to find them and try to post them again. If it posts twice we can always pull one.

Sorry for the problem.

Kurt

Old 01-09-2005, 07:59 AM

it was there for a half hour then got pulled. i'll try again some other time i guess. kurt ru the only moderator here? maybe u should ask the others what happened. no offensive words in my post either.

Old 01-09-2005, 08:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lynn,what about a intake?A good single plane 4bbl and a good 2-4 tunnel ram would also be needed.Tom

Old 01-09-2005, 10:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Les I also saw your post, but did not remove it. It may not have had any "Bad" words but was not helpful in spirit.

As for where it went, I have no clue.

Old 01-09-2005, 10:46 AM

lynn:

i think ur wasting ur time. heres why:

how many prostock motors use tunnel port intakes? none. if their was an advantege to using them, dont u think they would be used already?

can u make this head flow 550 cfm, like the current prostock heads? AND do it for $2500? i dont think so.

to outperform current bbc prostock heads this motor would have to turn the 9000 rpm that current 500" (small) prostock motors have to turn to use this size port and make competitive hp.

its been proven that pontiac people won't spend even $800 dollars on a forged crank. what makes u think they will spend $3000 dollars on a bryant, winberg, etc. billett crank with the latest whizbang litewate tricks, in order to run the rpms ur heads would require?

do u have the same r&d buget that is required to get the performance from the latest prostock heads? do u know what that buget number is?

does ur casting guy have 'considerable experience' in head design or just in making the castings? foundry work only experience or engineering/design/flow experience?

why introduce this head since thier is going to be the dci head that they say will flow 475 cfm easy? and like tom s said, wheres the manifold and how much $$$ for it???

ur welcome to dream, but i think that is all that it will amount to .

sorry just my opinion! you asked!!

Les

Old 01-09-2005, 10:51 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Holmberg:
Les I also saw your post, but did not remove it. It may not have had any "Bad" words but was not helpful in spirit.

As for where it went, I have no clue. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

david: the man asked for opinions positive or negative and i gave mine. sorry, but isn't that what lynn asked for? is that why it was taken off, making my post a total waste of time in writing it and giving opinions, like lynn asked? if not u, than who did it? who here determines what gets censored and what stays especally posts that dont have curse words????

Old 01-09-2005, 11:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think Toms T/A engine proves the ports with some corrections in the floor cast in to start would make a great cylinder head. Do you realize that the 370 cfm range of those heads is a better head flow than most race Pontiac engine? Lookat how small his cam is in comparision to what many run to get the same hp with larger engines. The RAV type head could have ruled the streets and many classes at the track had Pontiac put it out in their cars. I will say that if the ports (intake side) did get moved over a little, that it could be done with no p-rods in the port at all, but that would cause a long port. Raise the floor in the new castings such as in Tom S. heads, make a good matching 4 bl. intake and I will be happy to race it anywhere. (oh leaave plenty of porting material)

Old 01-09-2005, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would welcome it provided I could also get a blower intake for it that wouldn't cost just as much as the heads.

Old 01-09-2005, 11:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Les, Again no I didn't remove your post, there are times when the board just eats posts.

I'll send you a PM with more information.

Old 01-09-2005, 11:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Is the projected cost of $2500 for bare or complete heads? Keeping same c.c. chambers? Also the intake, cam, and headers would cost probably another $2500. I am currently putting a RAV together and the headers are a major stumbling block. What kind of intake are you thinking of? Last intake I saw sold for $1200 or $1400 dollars. Hope you can get this project together but a lot of hurdles to go over. I would seriously consider buying a set of heads. Jim

Old 01-09-2005, 11:59 AM

does Dove make a tunnelport ford head?

Old 01-09-2005, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

jkgto,headers are no problem,you just have to step up to get a set of custom headers.Fooling around with ANY RA V project is not cheap.I found a local guy that is going to do my car as soon as the engine is in.I will let you know the cost when its done.Tom