Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 04-27-2013, 04:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In my 65 LeMans I have a nice cross flow custom aluminum radiator and run an electric water pump (Mezuire) and 16" (Spal) electric fan on the back side of the radiator (wired as a puller). I don't use the radiator for cooling the trans oil. I use a large capacity stack plate type oil cooler and have mounted it in direct air flow (not in from of the radiater) but have not felt the need to install a fan on it. I also run a temp gage to monitor trans oil temperature. In the hot Phoenix Summer I can hot lap round after round and engine temp never goes over 185 and the trans has never even been over 190. I am running a TH-400 with a 10 inch Continental converter with 4400 stall. I also run 50/50 mix of Mobile One synthetic engine oil and synthetic trans oil not sure if that makes any difference though. I have a trans brake so that is how I know my exact stall but I foot brake when racing because I always redlight if I use the brake. If I ever go to a box I will use the brake. I use a thermal switch to shut off the fan and water pump when it reaches 160. So when I get back to the pits I can forget about the thing and it shuts off automatically. I have a three position switch on both the water pump and the fan, manual off, manual on and auto position. Works pretty nice.

Last edited by Tim Corcoran; 04-27-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The tranny brake causes the extra heat....when foot breaking I can hot lap with the transmission staying below 200. I run two coolers and one has a puller fan....on the brake she heats up fast

Old 04-27-2013, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know the turbo guys will stick the cooler in the water/ice box for the intercooler. Having to spool up and bump in tends to get tranny Temps up in a hurry... Also suggest running the best fluid you can versus whatever is cheapest on the shelf.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Why does the ATI option have to be trans specific, can't you just change the fittings to work with a t400?