Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Central Vacuum PVC help

My son recently purchased a home (as-is) with a central vac system. The main unit went bad, so he purchased an Electrolux main unit. The PVC doesn't line up so he went to get some PVC and found that central vacs use some kind of proprietory stuff.
They put fears in him that I feel may be unfounded about using regular PVC. What is the real scoop and are there adapters to hook regular PVC to "special" vacuum PVC??
Thanks, Bill

10.09 @ 133
Old 09-20-2011, 04:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bill,,, IIRC, the issues with regular pvc is when used in a vacume with all the dirt/debri, it gets a buildup of static electricity that can cause sparks/shock. The stuff used in central vac systems does not build up static. Ever use a shop vac for a while? You can feel the static elec. when handling the hose.

POCI.org
Old 09-20-2011, 05:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanickeith View Post
Bill,,, IIRC, the issues with regular pvc is when used in a vacume with all the dirt/debri, it gets a buildup of static electricity that can cause sparks/shock. The stuff used in central vac systems does not build up static. Ever use a shop vac for a while? You can feel the static elec. when handling the hose.
I used to install them and I never heard that. I know static can be a huge problem for woodworking dust systems but not household dirt. I've acted as ground for my share of CV pipe runs so I'd argue that they build static as well as any . I believe the issue is CV pipe is thinner than plumbing pipe so they use different couplers. 2" exhaust pipe will work. That's what we used to plumb garage outlets since code did not allow exposed plastic pipe there. I also think there is an adaptor to match sch 40 to cv pipe. Do a search and you'll probably find it. Good luck. Mark O.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check pool supply places. They have a flexible version of the 2" PVC I think. It might help line up. As long as there is a Gnd on the chassis of the Vac motor metal parts/coupling to pipe should not be a Prob.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress