Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default '67 Intake manifold/gasket

I'm rebuilding a '67 GTO engine for a friend. The intake has a passage in front of the primaries. I seem to remember the gasket for the '67's had a metal insert or something like that to keep those hot gases from blowing out the carb base gasket. The replacement gasket doesn't have anything like that. In fact, some of them don,t even cover those holes in the manifold.
* What are some options here?
*Are people plugging those holes to keep the heat out?

* Something just doesn't seem right......Thanks, Bill

10.09 @ 133
Old 06-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes,the '67 intake is the same as most of the same era chevys were,there are two thin high temp metallic/paper style gaskets sandwiching a thin sheet metal "insert" gasket.

And yes these gaskets & insert are never ever included in the common gasket sets,they usually need to be ordered seperately,especially seeing as they are one year only for pontiacs.

And yes if so desired,the cross-over channel can be plugged,and then regular carb gaskets can be used.

In the past I have used both small press in style cup plugs,or tapped the holes and use a standard pipe plug of the appropriate size.

If you can find a parts guy with half a brain,he should be able to look up and find the proper gaskets & sheet metal insert,but he'll likely need to crack open his gasket catalog to find that stuff,and most counter guys these days seem to resist doing that sorta "extra credit work",they just tell you "well it's not in my computer sir".

Anyhow,you seem to know all this already.

Good luck.

BP.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Plug'm.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 06-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"And yes if so desired,the cross-over channel can be plugged,and then regular carb gaskets can be used."

Not exactly that easy. The passage was made a tad wider on the drivers side so that most standard gaskets are NOT wide enough to seal it off. We stock at least one .230" thick gasket that is wide enough.

This was probably done to make it somewhat tamper-proof, or to at least make it difficult to use gaskets and such from other years. Keep in mind that those intakes were the result of very early emission standards being brought into place.

Anyhow, I do recomend plugging the openings, we tap them here for plugs. I also take some nickle welding rod and close off the extra wide portion of the drivers side channel, then machine it flat. This allows almost any Quadrajet flange gasket to work effectively under the carburetor.

Another very good repair is to make a thicker version of the factory thin steel plate. Use the stock channeled gasket under the plate, then pretty much whatever you want on top of it.

We have new stainless steel plates and the correct gaskets in stock if you decide to leave it alone and need the correct parts?......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 01-26-2010, 09:31 AM

Default .230 gasket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
"And yes if so desired,the cross-over channel can be plugged,and then regular carb gaskets can be used."

Not exactly that easy. The passage was made a tad wider on the drivers side so that most standard gaskets are NOT wide enough to seal it off. We stock at least one .230" thick gasket that is wide enough.

This was probably done to make it somewhat tamper-proof, or to at least make it difficult to use gaskets and such from other years. Keep in mind that those intakes were the result of very early emission standards being brought into place.

Anyhow, I do recomend plugging the openings, we tap them here for plugs. I also take some nickle welding rod and close off the extra wide portion of the drivers side channel, then machine it flat. This allows almost any Quadrajet flange gasket to work effectively under the carburetor.

Another very good repair is to make a thicker version of the factory thin steel plate. Use the stock channeled gasket under the plate, then pretty much whatever you want on top of it.

We have new stainless steel plates and the correct gaskets in stock if you decide to leave it alone and need the correct parts?......Cliff
Cliff;

I have the botom gasket and the stainless top gasket and was thinking of using a standard felpro gasket on top....in other words sanwhiching the stainless plate between 2 gaskets. I think this will work but am interested in possibly just using the one .230" gasket that you mentioned. Can you tell me if you have one and how much? By the way I tapped my intake holes and put in plugs, but do not have easy acesss to weld or fill the driver side, so gaskets are the way I would prefer to go.

Thanks
Bob

Old 01-26-2010, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll take a look in a few minutes when I get to the shop to see if we have any left. Those parts were very slow movers, not sure if we restocked them due to lack of interest?

If you have effectively plugged the openings into the exhaust crossover, then the stock gasket, with or without a plate should work fine. The vacuum leak from the channel into the intake is internal, and woln't happen as long as the gasket under the carb covers the intake and channel.

The very best set-up for those intakes, plugged exhaust channel or not, is to make a thicker plate, stock gasket under it, then just about any gasket you want on top of it......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 01-27-2010, 07:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I found one gasket in the shop that should work, it barely covers the channel, but does cover it.......Cliff

Old 01-27-2010, 08:10 AM

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
I found one gasket in the shop that should work, it barely covers the channel, but does cover it.......Cliff
If it is the thick .230" gasket I will take it. I would prefer to use just one gasket. Let me know how I can pay and get it shipped. my zip is 49825. Also I need to know if you ship UPS or USPS.....I live in a rual area and have to pick up my mail at the post office. UPS however does come to my house, so I have to use different address depending on how it ships.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I didn't measure the thickness, probably closer to .150"-.180", wasn't as thick as our .230" gaskets. It had enough material to cover the outer edge of the channel, but barely. None of the other gaskets even came close.

I used to stock the wide/thick gaskets for those intakes, sold one about every 10 years so we didn't restock them, and I'm not even sure if they are still available?.....Cliff

PS: no longer listed from any of our suppliers....

Last edited by Cliff R; 01-27-2010 at 08:50 AM.