Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 02-17-2008, 01:18 PM

Default jet extensions

whats the difference between jet extensions and captured jet extensions? It looks like the jet extensions slip over the jet and captured screws into the metering block and the jet screws in the end. Is there an advantage of one type of extension over the other?

I'm looking at the barry grant combo kits with the clearanced floats. I have a BG 750 speed demon and would like to keep with the BG hardware.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, I just last fall added the screw-in jet extensions. My choice was based on the brass being stronger than plastic, no chance of it falling off, and the screw-in type move the orfice of the jet to the rear of the bowl. The slip-over type just seemed to have a large inside diameter, that would need to stay filled to allow un-interupted supply to the jet. In my vision, it would be like the jet drinking from a straw instead of directly from the fuel source. IMHO JD

Old 02-17-2008, 05:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike,why dont we just bolt on my old 850 thats already dialed in and see how it runs?

1970 Lemans Convertible,462,6x-4, 234/242 cam.3.42 posi.12.55@109,4100 lbs...SOLD....

1968 Firebird , 467 , KRE d-ports ,stock type suspension,3100lbs
(1.30 60')(6.08 1/8)(113.43)different runs 9.59 @140.71 on E85 all motor
8.97@148.63 on 150 shot
Old 02-28-2008, 04:36 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Uprising
whats the difference between jet extensions and captured jet extensions? It looks like the jet extensions slip over the jet and captured screws into the metering block and the jet screws in the end. Is there an advantage of one type of extension over the other?

I'm looking at the barry grant combo kits with the clearanced floats. I have a BG 750 speed demon and would like to keep with the BG hardware.
Performance wise we have not really seen a difference. The captured type are a little more user friendly in that the jet keeps them in place and are made from brass. The standard jet extension are made from stainless and have to be tapped over the outside of the jet making them a little less friendly if you are performing jet changes. With either, make sure you have the notched float as well.

Technical Support

Barry Grant, Inc.

BG Fuel System, Demon Carburetors, Nitrous Works, Rush Filters

www.barrygrant.com
Old 02-28-2008, 05:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have the tap-on stainless extensions--hate 'em. Everytime I change jets, I have to reef on the damn things with pliers to get them off and the jets get damaged. I am going with the brass screw ins this season.