Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-20-2022, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
To be honest I have gone over the top with just about everything on this car. The one thing I do know is I wish I had carbureted it from the beginning. I am just more comfortable with it, I trust it more,. You can teach a old dog certain tricks but not all. I wish I knew of a good Quadranet
Contact shaker455 (Jeff) and I’d bet he can set you up with a very nice Quadrajet that runs perfectly right out of the box without a long wait. A well setup Quadrajet will give up next to nothing (if anything) in both power and fuel economy compared to fuel injection.

A Holley double pumper is also a fine carburetor but won’t get the fuel economy of a Quadrajet which is pretty important nowadays.

The Following User Says Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2022, 10:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you b man

Old 02-21-2022, 06:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivera View Post
Quick question- is this the same Sniper you got several years back - like 2017?
I knew I wasn’t crazy - you were gifted one and sold it in 2018 (link below). Was the new one an xflow or basic?

[http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...ghlight=Sniper url]http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=822906&highlight=Sniper[/url]

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 02-21-2022, 07:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No I have had two. One was a Christmas gift and one was gotten when I thought I was further along than I was. This has been quiet the journey.

Old 02-21-2022, 07:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Shaker455 can’t hook me up with a quad but he can help me tune my double pumper (Brawler)
https://youtu.be/dNwfbQA-d4U
That’s a neat video

Old 02-21-2022, 12:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

FWIW (believe me) I would only go with the Edelbrock port for the simple reason the ECM can be located inside the passenger compartment. Under hood automotive is a hell hole and any complex electronics are at risk. OEM's have pretty well-established supply chains and are able to keep counterfeit crap components out of the production. Not so sure about the aftermarket.

65 Tempest, 400, TH400
86 Fiero SE 2.8
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkS57 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2022, 03:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Shaker455 can’t hook me up with a quad but he can help me tune my double pumper (Brawler)
https://youtu.be/dNwfbQA-d4U
That’s a neat video
More of a matter of his intake not comparable for a spreadbore

Old 02-21-2022, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker455 View Post
More of a matter of his intake not comparable for a spreadbore
Yeah it wasn’t that he couldn’t, it was my intake. I agree about the Edelbrock Pro Flo. I know your mileage may vary but after I got it running and looked at the wires (that I planned to put in a loom) and got to thinking about troubleshooting on the side of the road I thought of the old KISS acronym and Air/Fuel/Spark. As long as you got all 3 should run. One bad splice on that thing and here comes the ohm meter.

Old 02-23-2022, 01:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Before you install that carb, spray it with Sharkhide coating otherwise you'll be surprised how quickly the polished look disappears. Tape off the entire top, sight glasses on the bowls and all openings. Wipr down with lacquer thinner first to remove any oil. I spray linkage and all with a light coat. It's the only thing I've found that maintains the polished appearance. doesn't yellow and is fuel resistant.

https://www.amazon.com/Sharkhide-Aer...5594404&sr=8-4

Old 02-23-2022, 06:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
Before you install that carb, spray it with Sharkhide coating otherwise you'll be surprised how quickly the polished look disappears. Tape off the entire top, sight glasses on the bowls and all openings. Wipr down with lacquer thinner first to remove any oil. I spray linkage and all with a light coat. It's the only thing I've found that maintains the polished appearance. doesn't yellow and is fuel resistant.

https://www.amazon.com/Sharkhide-Aer...5594404&sr=8-4
I've always wanted to try Sharkhide. Works good?

I would reco using wax and grease remover instead of lacquer thinner. I love lacquer thinner. But it eats about anything!

I screwed up years ago. I use Eagle mag wheel cleaner for aluminum parts. It has acid and works great. Works really well on my Centerline wheels. I started using it to clean my intake manifold as well. Didn't think about it getting on my Holley carb. It ate some of the coating away. DOH!

https://www.amazon.com/Valvoline-E30.../dp/B00J4RN7RS

Old 02-23-2022, 07:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Yeah it wasn’t that he couldn’t, it was my intake. I agree about the Edelbrock Pro Flo. I know your mileage may vary but after I got it running and looked at the wires (that I planned to put in a loom) and got to thinking about troubleshooting on the side of the road I thought of the old KISS acronym and Air/Fuel/Spark. As long as you got all 3 should run. One bad splice on that thing and here comes the ohm meter.
The Sniper is only 5 wires to hook up, power, ground, key-on, fuel pump, and points wire. Everything else is plug-in. You will probably use a CD box anyway, but that's usually 5 wires too, power ground, key-on, trigger (to points wire of sniper), and tach.

But I guess some find that daunting and become overwhelmed. Doubt you would have had an issue where it would leave you stranded, many run them for many miles with no failures. Shoot, the old Commander system from the 90s is still in use today with no issues, and Holley still supports it.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 02-23-2022, 08:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
The Sniper is only 5 wires to hook up, power, ground, key-on, fuel pump, and points wire. Everything else is plug-in. You will probably use a CD box anyway, but that's usually 5 wires too, power ground, key-on, trigger (to points wire of sniper), and tach.

But I guess some find that daunting and become overwhelmed. Doubt you would have had an issue where it would leave you stranded, many run them for many miles with no failures. Shoot, the old Commander system from the 90s is still in use today with no issues, and Holley still supports it.

I have had dozens of classic cars in my life. I drove a 58 Chevrolet Delray as my first car. Until my first wife and I bought a new truck in 2008 I had never had a vehicle less than 30 years younger than me (born in 79). I guess I’m stuck in my ways. I expected it to be like they said, hit the key and it fits it, it didn’t! Found out that one of the weather packs was not completely seated, ok my fault. Got it started, got it adjusted per the 76 page manual (full printout) and it just didn’t seem to run right. I shut it off and when I did it spit back a puff of smoke like carbs do sometimes. I went to the Holley forums and granted only extremists post places like that but still, horror stories. I just got to thinking, maybe if was RFI making it run ****ty so I went and moved wires around. No better, checked my grounds, no better. Then I got to thinking, I plan to drive A LOT. I know nothings fool proof but it’s just a known commodity for me to have everything mechanical, no trying to find the bad splice, no trying to determine what failed. You got 3 things in a carb system, all of which I can fix with the tools in my jump bag. When the time comes and there is some more data the Pro Flo looks viable but I just didn’t like this “thing”

Old 02-23-2022, 09:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You realize it does take a little time to learn, you have to let it run and drive it some.

If the tune isn't good, and you are impatient, you can use a tuner, it's all over the phone/internet, and there not that expensive. There are others on here that have the same setup, and could even give you a baseline tune. If you need help with that, call me.

'Splices' usually work or don't. It's still not a lot of wires to give a tug on to figure out if it's 'bad'.

Holley forums are not very good depending on where you post and who responds. 99% of all issues are user-caused, and then they blame the system. You get much better support if you email Holley. They will respond, get your phone number, and call you back pretty quick. Screw trying to call the support number.

Once it's installed properly and running, you will never have to touch it again (for the most part). Just get over the initial hump and it's going to be the best experience, especially from a maintenance & reliability perspective.

The best things never come easy.

I have a tune on-hand you can use that would be very close if not right-on. You have my personal email, just ask.

1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
Old 02-23-2022, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
I have had dozens of classic cars in my life. I drove a 58 Chevrolet Delray as my first car. Until my first wife and I bought a new truck in 2008 I had never had a vehicle less than 30 years younger than me (born in 79). I guess I’m stuck in my ways. I expected it to be like they said, hit the key and it fits it, it didn’t! Found out that one of the weather packs was not completely seated, ok my fault. Got it started, got it adjusted per the 76 page manual (full printout) and it just didn’t seem to run right. I shut it off and when I did it spit back a puff of smoke like carbs do sometimes. I went to the Holley forums and granted only extremists post places like that but still, horror stories. I just got to thinking, maybe if was RFI making it run ****ty so I went and moved wires around. No better, checked my grounds, no better. Then I got to thinking, I plan to drive A LOT. I know nothings fool proof but it’s just a known commodity for me to have everything mechanical, no trying to find the bad splice, no trying to determine what failed. You got 3 things in a carb system, all of which I can fix with the tools in my jump bag. When the time comes and there is some more data the Pro Flo looks viable but I just didn’t like this “thing”
So you can fix this issue with a carb, but not with a throttle body based EFI? Your post even mentions carbs due this too.

So you're blaming the EFI, for what likely is an install issue, or issue on the engine itself. If it's popping out the throttle body on shut down there's several issues that can point to that. Timing issues, poorly adjusted valvetrain, lean conditions and vacuum leaks contribute to this.

Do whatever you want, but it's pretty clear you gave up on this deal before you even started. Which at that point why'd you even install it? You took several hundred bucks off resale value going from new in box, never installed to installed and removed. Your wallet though.

Old 02-23-2022, 11:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Can the answer be as simple as I wasn’t sure about it in the first place and then I just didn’t trust it. As far as installs go I did everything I am capable of doing without paying a pro. I can tune a carb, I am just afraid of it I guess. My nephew who is normally great at these things even said he didn’t know what to think and he is from the whiz bang generation. I am getting kinda close to the point of driving this car regular and fear is a big factor. I trust carbs, maybe I’m crazy but I don’t want to drive to Tampa in August on our vacation in something I am paranoid is gonna crap out. In my heart of hearts I know it probably wouldn’t but I just don’t have the warm fuzzy and that is important to me. I sold it, it’s shipping tomorrow, my carb comes today and hopefully I can drive it as soon as my seat comes back.

Old 02-23-2022, 11:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

You can say, that, but you didn't. You installed it, even posted a video that it worked, then blamed the mess of wiring as to why you were removing it. You even posted it for sale on Facebook stating precisely that. Nothing about you being uncomfortable with it, only that you didn't like the mess of wires. The for sale picture focusing on your mess of wires was a nice touch to.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rebu...61475627361975

You're blaming the product when you should be blaming yourself, which is kind of a constant in this thread. That may be why it gets heated at times and has a pretty poor rating. Instead of posting that Pros and Cons thread where everyone came out to help you, you could have just posted here that you wanted a carb instead. Nobody would have faulted you for that.

Old 02-23-2022, 12:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
To be honest I have gone over the top with just about everything on this car. The one thing I do know is I wish I had carbureted it from the beginning. I am just more comfortable with it, I trust it more,. You can teach a old dog certain tricks but not all. I wish I knew of a good Quadranet
Yeah, it was said at one point, no worries.

It's your car, do what you want and feel comfortable with, what makes YOU happy.

Buddy of mine is building an old school roadster, all by hand, and is going out of his way to use parts that are period correct. Not because they're the best, they aren't, but because that's what he wants, and, to him, they're cool.

That's what hot rodding is all about.

Old 02-23-2022, 12:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
You can say, that, but you didn't. You installed it, even posted a video that it worked, then blamed the mess of wiring as to why you were removing it. You even posted it for sale on Facebook stating precisely that. Nothing about you being uncomfortable with it, only that you didn't like the mess of wires. The for sale picture focusing on your mess of wires was a nice touch to.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rebu...61475627361975

You're blaming the product when you should be blaming yourself, which is kind of a constant in this thread. That may be why it gets heated at times and has a pretty poor rating. Instead of posting that Pros and Cons thread where everyone came out to help you, you could have just posted here that you wanted a carb instead. Nobody would have faulted you for that.
Not really concerned with who likes the thread and who doesn’t. I have the hydroboost, the clutch reservoir, clutch master, the huge DSE wiper motor and the painless wiring add a circuit all on that side of the car. I left the wires exposed (I have black looms) to make sure it was gonna work. Like HWYSTR said it’s my car and if I want to set it on fire. These things are constantly evolving and you should know that. The only place I could get it to idle well was with those wires routed as you see them. After running it to warm up temp and it not getting any better I went back to my wheelhouse. Also what else have I blamed on a product? So far I feel I’ve been pretty lucky.

Old 02-23-2022, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sometimes you just need to step away, take a break, and rethink things too. Especially when you get frustrated.

I will say this though, there is NOTHING painless about a Painless harness. It will challenge you for sure. I did an AAW harness, and to hide it all and make it look good took many days.

Old 02-23-2022, 01:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
You think that's a lot of wires, try a multiport system install! Heheh! And even more wires if you have a 4L80e trans! I have Drive by Wire too!

Wires can be hidden, but it obviously requires additional effort. Mine do go behind the engine, and on the firewall below the steering column & shaft. You can go behind the fender, and thru the firewall there, totally unseen. Some wires from the front of engine go under the intake.

Where it goes under the column/shaft, since it's above and kind of close to a header tube, I wrapped it with heat barrier wrap. Wish I would have gotten the black stuff, but it's still pretty hidden.

Like the way you've hidden the wiring. I ran the power cables along the lower block. And since only using 5 wires of the Super Sniper, the remaining wiring is manageable
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16456368532795545780397881497215.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	584751  

The Following User Says Thank You to 68WarDog For This Useful Post: