THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Did I do the right thing?

I do woodworking as a hobby, I recently posted online about giving away free tools and things I had extra that I have no use for. A friend of mine works with the woman who son is really into woodworking. So I offered him all The tools are no longer use probably over $100 worth of stuff including a few nice Stanley what planes and some great buck brothers chisels. The mom called very excited and was going to drive an hour and a half to pick them up. She told me that her son really wasn't up for the trip and didn't feel like coming and did not feel like going so she would just come by herself I told her to forget about it. If her Kid is really into it he would have come along for the ride. I'm figuring I'm giving away over $100 worth of things the kid wouldn't have at least wanted to come along. Maybe I'm old-fashioned but did I do the right thing? Or if he was a nice kid out probably would have loaded him up with a bunch of other stuff too. I feel kind of like a dick but kids these days seem so ****ing lazy. The mom was all pissed off at me but I don't now

Old 08-02-2017, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Tough call. If the boy is really into woodworking I'd think he could have contacted you instead of his mother, and he would have wanted to come. On the other hand, maybe his mother didn't word her reply well and there was some better reason for him not coming - who knows. However, it does seem funny that she was running the whole thing and not her son, maybe she's one of those helicopter parents.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

she told me he didn't feel like driving that far. He has a car and all that the kid is 18.

Just a lazy kid it seems to me. I mean free stuff , maybe helicopter mom.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was picturing a kid with some sort of disability.

If the kid is healthy, though, then f*(# him & his mom. He should make the drive, let you show him any nuances to the tools, and then thank you in person.

'67 Firebird [sold], ; 11.27 @ 119.61, 7.167 @ 96.07, with UD 280/280 (108LSA/ 109 ICL)solid cam. [1.537, 7.233 @93.61, 11.46 @ 115.4 w/ old UD 288/296 108 hydraulic cam] Feb '05 HPP, home-ported "16" D-ports, dished pistons (pump gas only), 3.42 gears, 275/60 DR's, 750DP, T2, full exhaust

My webpage http://lnlpd.com/home
Old 08-02-2017, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You did the right thing. Another product of the "everyone get's a trophy" society regardless of individual effort or results.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm guessing it was probably a fabricated Sob story and she planned on selling the tools herself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-02-2017, 11:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Don't think it's a sob story, my buddy tells me it's legit. It just blows my mind that a kid today wouldn't want to drive a little bit to pick up some nice stuff. I dunno. I think as a kid if my mom drove me to pick up some free **** she would have me write a letter and say thank you in person which is almost what I was expecting

Old 08-02-2017, 11:43 AM
Senior Chief

Unless the kid has some kind of disability that makes it difficult to ride in a car for that long, you absolutely did the right thing in hanging onto your tools.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like mom's trying to help the son when at 18 he's probably indifferent and not "really" into woodworking as much as she hopes or thinks.
I'd stick to: "If he wants them he needs to come get them personally"

Old 08-02-2017, 11:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If he had a disability I would've driven that stuff up there myself. I would not have minded one bit. Just seems like a lazy kid that has is mom doing all his **** for him.

I'm the type of person that would rather just give away things then sell them. Somehow that doesn't always seem to work out in the positive for me people are still mostly ungrateful

Old 08-02-2017, 11:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Reminds me of the song teddy bear by red Slovene

Old 08-02-2017, 12:21 PM
Senior Chief

You did the right thing. Stop giving it a second thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Jeff Gordon Edition
2017 Dodge Challenger SXT Black Top Edition
Old 08-02-2017, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If he was really interested in woodworking, he would have insisted on coming INSTEAD of his Mom. A real enthusiast would have wanted to see your shop, talk technical stuff with a fellow woodworker, etc. Your gut feel was correct.

JMHO,
Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 08-02-2017, 01:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

^+2

Old 08-02-2017, 02:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I was 18 I was doing carpentry as a job and woodworking as a hobby A friend of my brother's told him that I could have his Porter Cable power planer because he knew that I was hanging doors.
I couldn't get over there fast enough! A big thank you and a handshake was all I could offer, but that was good enough.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:58 PM

Get the young lad on the PHONE and resolve the matter.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You did the right thing. The kid (and his "mommy") should thank you for the lesson in life. Unfortunately, the kid is busy with his video games and "mommy" is calling you a bastard because she wanted her son to have the tools.

You offered the tools to the kid, not his mommy, He doesn't want to "work" for them (drive over and pick them up) so screw it.

Somewhere down the line, they may both "get it" but in reality, they will just go back to what they are doing and mommy will bad-mouth you as being the bad guy.

Don't let the bastards wear you down and don't lose any sleep over it.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I was 18 and had a car, I'd jump at the chance to do a 3 hour round trip - for any reason.

Some people don't understand the "free" concept. I have football season tickets, and before I had kids, I'd always have extras. I had all kinds of "old friends" calling and asking to go, then they'd start acting like they were doing me a favor by accepting the free tickets: they demand to bring some buddy I've never met, we need to go to this place to eat afterwards... then they get all huffy when I tell them to forget it.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
If he was really interested in woodworking, he would have insisted on coming INSTEAD of his Mom. A real enthusiast would have wanted to see your shop, talk technical stuff with a fellow woodworker, etc. Your gut feel was correct.

JMHO,
Eric
Agree with above 100%. I think you did the right thing. The tools should go to someone who wants them enough to come and get them.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:20 PM
Senior Chief

I agree with stags 100%