THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know this was mentioned before but I can't the OP's post...So if you are the OP please excuse...

I can tolerate a lot of stuff because its your car not mine...But my BIGGEST pet peeve and will cause me to stop looking is those knock off Edelbrock Carter carbs. What a cop out! If your car came with a Carter AFB to begin with then OK but take the Edelbrock sticker off of it. If you have on your car I'm sorry...Just sayin'

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 12-03-2017, 02:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hamlin View Post
"but the absolute “saddest “ is someone that cant tolerate a differing opinion"

This is/was the point;
This whole topic is a bunch of supposed "Hobbyist" voicing and/or listing there DISLIKES i.e. ridiculing someone else's work/"opinion"/expression.

We all have things that we don't feel belong under "our" hoods that's why they're not there.
But to outwardly voice/list, goes against what we all are supposedly a part of supporting.
A Hobby, Car culture or whatever you prefer.

This is no different then bashing the imports.
Exactly If people hate stuff this much then maybe they should stay home, because from this surprisingly HUGE accumulation of dislikes, there probably isn't a car on the planet that doesn't have something they hate

Old 12-03-2017, 06:03 PM
Senior Chief

Yes 1978 did come with polysteels with the small letters.

Old 12-03-2017, 06:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by se428bandit View Post
A Pontiac engine painted chevy orange. A LS engine in a older Pontiac painted either 66-70 silver blue or 71-73 blue, it drives me nuts for some reason.
A Pontiac engine painted Chevy Orange is exactly what i want to see; especially if the BBC fanboy owner drops a couple of "boat anchor" comments. I'd like to find a few more like the last one I found....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	197-5.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	469371   Click image for larger version

Name:	197-3.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	469372  

1970 GTO, 455+.034", 0 deck, Wiseco's, Eagle rods, 60919, Rhoads, E-Heads, 1.65 Scorpions, RPM, Custom Qjet by Cliff, Doug's 1 7/8", THM 400, Gear Vendors OD, 3.55s.........Her name is Blandorf; after a girl I knew once, 'cause she's just Bitchin, always.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have this screaming little orange engine sitting on a stand in my shop, just waiting to get between a pair of fenders again. Any votes for putting it in my '72 Grand Prix?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1201r.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	469373  

Old 12-03-2017, 06:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Since I was in high school, talking shoot has always been part of the car hobby. It’s nothing personal.

One thing I’ve learned is to never ask “how much?” if there’s a “for sale” sign posted on the car with no price. Odds are, it’ll be damn near impossible to keep a straight face.

This hobby is supposed to be fun - taking things so seriously gets in the way. A couple of years ago, I met a guy in his 20’s at the local cruise with a ‘67 GTO. He complained that his own car wasn’t numbers matching like he thought is was, then said he didn’t like driving it because he couldn’t keep the temp under 180. I haven’t seen the guy since. Just get out there and have fun.

Old 12-03-2017, 09:11 PM
Suspended

Back on topic.....

Those stupid model cars sitting on the air cleaner.

Old 12-03-2017, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't touch my precious cars that's not pebble beach quality signs.
1/2 gutted A/C equip( or still a few pc's left)
Off brand battery's
Poster stating how rare your car is, in fact if it was rare it wouldn't be at the show
Stant rad caps
Red heater hoses
Chrome jeggs air cleaners
Any signings by some jamoke
Stuffed animals
Alum radiators
Plug wires in colors
MSD ignition crap
Gloss black paint on wheel wells, rad support
Photo albums showing resto
Fake repop royal Pontiac stuff, ya my shiny new royal sign says it's a Royal Car
Edelbrock garbage
Splice -on battery terminals, that have wires sticking out that's not being used w/ crimp on ends
Anal tag kits
Extra gas filters
A model of the car on the air cleaner ( a buddy had one, one day it started raining, he slammed the hood. LMBO ( smashed 62 GP)
Gold painted brake boosters, ya we know the platings bad and your cheap

Last edited by burd; 12-03-2017 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I hate to see the braided stainless fake tube sheaths with the an fitting colored ends on water hoses etc. I also don’t care for the spark plug looms that hold the wire by a valve cover bolt and hold them way up in the air. I do like stealthy stuff like painted aluminum heads and intake. My one weakness though is I love old moon eyes style finned valve covers in satin aluminum. Not polished just as cast. My local Napa used to sell a restoration paint that achieved this finish perfectly. They quit carrying it but I bought the last six’s cans or so they had. I will show you what they look like one day when the cars together

Old 12-03-2017, 10:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Who bothers with "points" shows anymore? Fact is, who bothers with shows anymore.

Pay to enter a place where people pick apart your car and you bake in the hot sun for another trunk filling dust collector that means nothing to anyone but the owner of the car? Been there, done that. Then I realized it's not worth it.

I'd rather enjoy my cars, driving them to cruise nights and gatherings that are free of people that act like they are better than you and other people that are happy to see an old car.

And no, I am not one of those with cars that are "driver quality". I am one of those with boxes of useless trophies and plaques. The only one of any use is the 4 footer I have that I use as a coat rack.

Rant over
I used to have a 1961 C60 ramp truck that I used whenever I went to pick up a new car or sold one and needed to transport it. The truck was beautiful. Anyway just for fun I drove it to the local car show and parked it well outside the “judges” section just so people could see it. At the end of the day I came up to find a people’s choice award on my hood. Couldn’t help but laugh. I will forever regret selling that truck. 10 wheel 24 foot bed 427 5 speed with two speed rear axle. Met a man one day that just had to have it. I threw out what I thought was a crazy number and he paid it. I instantly regretted it
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3AEDED1A-30D0-43BB-9B2A-A3B559B3A219.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	469411  

Old 12-03-2017, 11:15 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
I used to have a 1961 C60 ramp truck that I used whenever I went to pick up a new car or sold one and needed to transport it. The truck was beautiful. Anyway just for fun I drove it to the local car show and parked it well outside the “judges” section just so people could see it. At the end of the day I came up to find a people’s choice award on my hood. Couldn’t help but laugh. I will forever regret selling that truck. 10 wheel 24 foot bed 427 5 speed with two speed rear axle. Met a man one day that just had to have it. I threw out what I thought was a crazy number and he paid it. I instantly regretted it

Nice!

Old 12-04-2017, 12:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Fact is, who bothers with shows anymore.

Pay to enter a place where people pick apart your car and you bake in the hot sun for another trunk filling dust collector that means nothing to anyone but the owner

Ain't that the truth.

I had my own cars and coffee at my place, that was fun. Still have the day to do things, but met everyone and talked cars till noon on a Saturday. I'll never do another car show. Did I post it here? I don't remember.

Old 12-04-2017, 01:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by burd View Post
Fact is, who bothers with shows anymore.

Pay to enter a place where people pick apart your car and you bake in the hot sun for another trunk filling dust collector that means nothing to anyone but the owner

Ain't that the truth.

I had my own cars and coffee at my place, that was fun. Still have the day to do things, but met everyone and talked cars till noon on a Saturday. I'll never do another car show. Did I post it here? I don't remember.
If there isnt a good swap meet, Im with you. If there is horse trading afoot, then I will go.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 12-04-2017, 09:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by burd View Post
Don't touch my precious cars that's not pebble beach quality signs.
1/2 gutted A/C equip( or still a few pc's left)
Off brand battery's
Poster stating how rare your car is, in fact if it was rare it wouldn't be at the show
Stant rad caps
Red heater hoses
Chrome jeggs air cleaners
Any signings by some jamoke
Stuffed animals
Alum radiators
Plug wires in colors
MSD ignition crap
Gloss black paint on wheel wells, rad support
Photo albums showing resto
Fake repop royal Pontiac stuff, ya my shiny new royal sign says it's a Royal Car
Edelbrock garbage
Splice -on battery terminals, that have wires sticking out that's not being used w/ crimp on ends
Anal tag kits
Extra gas filters
A model of the car on the air cleaner ( a buddy had one, one day it started raining, he slammed the hood. LMBO ( smashed 62 GP)
Gold painted brake boosters, ya we know the platings bad and your cheap
We'd get along just fine.

@64 Speed, That is a nice truck, I don't ever want a truck to own, but if I did it would be that.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lmao.
Only one kind of model that's ok, if your car is cool enough to have a hot wheels done like it that's ok, but just toss it on the seat.
I had an authentic 1964 Ace Wilson frame, that's why I can say that. Don't put a shiny new re pop on your car. Splurge for a real one w/ patina.
My buddy, RIP, had Mickey Lolich's 62 GP, he put 421 tags on, fake Royal frame, Woodward timing club sticker or what ever they say, the ones all the old guys put on the vent window, just saying VENT WINDOW dates you, lol

Last edited by burd; 12-04-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That is a sweet truck, a bud got this from the Vegas desert, it's pretty cool, 6100 series, 1955 Wrecker, check out the stove bolt forum for the trucks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	469420  

Old 12-04-2017, 11:03 AM
Suspended

How about the guys that put their model car on a spinning display while it's on their air cleaner?

Old 12-04-2017, 03:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOLiam View Post
Most aftermarket air cleaners.... especially the fly-eye Edelbrock bug catcher
AGREE! The immediate sign the car is a pig performer. Plus those POS's should be outlawed as they catch fire and melt into the carb throat when there's a backfire.

Old 12-04-2017, 04:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieT/A View Post
.... my BIGGEST pet peeve and will cause me to stop looking is those knock off Edelbrock Carter carbs. ...
Oh that's a good one!!

years ago a local decided to "upgrade" their Rochester Quadrajet to an Edelbrock/Carter carb - complete with 3/4"(?) adapter;
performance spects aside, I wasn't surprised to see a dimple in the hood of said car post carb swap...

I think 99% of those carbs are sold on the idea of:
Quote:
new = zero problems
Unfortunately that's not the case, instead of a Quadrajet that maybe needs s cleaning and a gasket kit/float - they get a shiney sow's ear.

And that absolutely is my opinion.

Old 12-04-2017, 04:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Stu View Post
A Pontiac engine painted Chevy Orange is exactly what i want to see; especially if the BBC fanboy owner drops a couple of "boat anchor" comments. I'd like to find a few more like the last one I found....
Wowzers!!

You lucky bum!!

Congrats!!

Last edited by unruhjonny; 12-04-2017 at 04:16 PM.
Closed Thread