Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-19-2017, 10:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default I don't drill holes in my dash or console, need a OD switch somewhere

Installed a 2004R with overdrive. I like having a switch to turn off the Overdrive around town.
Currently I have the switch wires stuffed under the console. Then it comes out
near the seat belt location. Functional, but . . . . . .it's just 2 wires and a switch laying around.
If you have a OD switch where did you locate it ?

And while I'm on a "no holes drilled" subject, how about cup holders ?
Those door hanger type are a spill waiting to happen. Cell phone ends up on the floor, there just wasn't much thought given to these things back in the day. (Of course USB didn't exist)

I do have a USB cigarette lighter adapter. At least I can charge my phone.

Suggestions ?

Old 10-19-2017, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Back when I first installed my lockup 700R4 I put a switch to disable it just under the dash and attached with good velcro to the steering column. Now I've got the B&M speed controller that enables you to adjust the MPH the lockup will engage, it has a disable switch integrated on it. I've installed it in the same place in the same manner. So I can just reach right in front of me easily and disable if I want to.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've heard of guys using the high beam switch on the floor or installing an additional one

Old 10-19-2017, 11:35 AM
Boost Engineer

If you are a non-smoking type of guy, or do not allow smoking in your GTO F-Bird, etc then think about using the Cigarette Lighter hole in the dash as a place for a simple push button 12 volt switch to the overdrive.

Lighter unscrews from the dash fairly easily and unplugs really easily. The lighter looks stock. Just push in and switch from od to normal drive. Push the lighter in again and you are in Overdrive mode. Take the lighter out and it looks factory. Lighter just pushes the switch on or off.

We used to use a similar switch to open the points circuit to the coil as a anti-theft device. With switch "open" the points can open and close during cranking and will do nothing as far as allowing the coil to fire.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
If you are a non-smoking type of guy, or do not allow smoking in your GTO F-Bird, etc then think about using the Cigarette Lighter hole in the dash as a place for a simple push button 12 volt switch to the overdrive.

Lighter unscrews from the dash fairly easily and unplugs really easily. The lighter looks stock. Just push in and switch from od to normal drive. Push the lighter in again and you are in Overdrive mode. Take the lighter out and it looks factory. Lighter just pushes the switch on or off.

We used to use a similar switch to open the points circuit to the coil as a anti-theft device. With switch "open" the points can open and close during cranking and will do nothing as far as allowing the coil to fire.

Tom V.
Great idea Tom!

Old 10-19-2017, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you have a center console box you can mount a magnetic reed switch to the liner box on its inside.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 10-19-2017, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Possibly make a small bracket that would attach to underside of dash somewhere....

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 10-19-2017, 01:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Second high beam switch on the floor.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have mine wired to a factory defroster switch in the dash. Defroster off, no lock-up. Defroster on and it will engage over 42mph in 4th gear. Works great. Even the little green bulb in the switch lights up when the OD is engaged. Looks completely stock, unless you notice I don't have a rear defroster.

1970 GTO, 455+.034", 0 deck, Wiseco's, Eagle rods, 60919, Rhoads, E-Heads, 1.65 Scorpions, RPM, Custom Qjet by Cliff, Doug's 1 7/8", THM 400, Gear Vendors OD, 3.55s.........Her name is Blandorf; after a girl I knew once, 'cause she's just Bitchin, always.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What I do here is either add another dimmer switch on the floor for that function, so it's out of sight and easy to work, or I'll add a factory rear defroster switch on the dash so it's disguised.

We have 2 of our cars here running electric fuel pumps, and the cut off switches are actually factory rear defog switches on the dash.

Evil Stu has the same idea. To carry it a step further, it's easy to add the grill on the rear package tray if you want to go the extra mile on the stealth appearance.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm hoping you mean Lockup Convertor since the 200-4R does not electrically shift to OD. Assuming lockup convertor, I use an automatic (adjustable) speed switch which has its own mounting pod. If I was just using the more common ON/OFF switch method, I would consider using a factory switch for an option you don't have. Example, on a 2nd gen Firebird I may use a rear blower or Defog switch or something similar mounted in the stock location.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

[QUOTE=Overkillphil;5799782]I'm hoping you mean Lockup Convertor since the 200-4R does not electrically shift to OD.

To be clear 200 and 700R transmissions can be used with either a locking or non locking converter.
Some mechanical drive train assumptions must be made for simple questions, otherwise every question posted on here becomes an onerous dissertation of a given topic.

Yes it is a 200R4 or 2004R depending on your transmission definition source. (both are the same tranny) with a locking torque converter as opposed to a non locking converter.

Best solutions seem to be adding an additional dimmer switch (easy) to using a cig lighter adaptation, followed by a switch mounted to the bottom of the steering column.
Reed magnetic switch in console? I need to google that to see how that would work.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
What I do here is either add another dimmer switch on the floor for that function, so it's out of sight and easy to work, or I'll add a factory rear defroster switch on the dash so it's disguised.

We have 2 of our cars here running electric fuel pumps, and the cut off switches are actually factory rear defog switches on the dash.

Evil Stu has the same idea. To carry it a step further, it's easy to add the grill on the rear package tray if you want to go the extra mile on the stealth appearance.
I had my fuel pump switch hooked up thru the defroster switch, since the switch has a timer, it would cut the gas off after 10 minutes. Left that way for a few years as I was working on the body. Worked fine pulling out of garage and on trailer. Did you by-pass the timer to the relay? if so how? I looked at trying to by-pass timer but didn't figure it out.

I like the dimmer switch for what you are wanting to do. Might end wiring electric pump that way.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes Bob, we know but the entire thread has been based on a switch for overdrive which is a nonexistent feature in a 200-4R

Old 10-20-2017, 03:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455GRIN View Post
I had my fuel pump switch hooked up thru the defroster switch, since the switch has a timer, it would cut the gas off after 10 minutes. Left that way for a few years as I was working on the body. Worked fine pulling out of garage and on trailer. Did you by-pass the timer to the relay? if so how? I looked at trying to by-pass timer but didn't figure it out.

I like the dimmer switch for what you are wanting to do. Might end wiring electric pump that way.
Not sure here. There is no timer in the switch I have. Switch is a 1970 GTO original. On/Off

1970 GTO, 455+.034", 0 deck, Wiseco's, Eagle rods, 60919, Rhoads, E-Heads, 1.65 Scorpions, RPM, Custom Qjet by Cliff, Doug's 1 7/8", THM 400, Gear Vendors OD, 3.55s.........Her name is Blandorf; after a girl I knew once, 'cause she's just Bitchin, always.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:04 PM

oh ok I think the 70 GTO has a blower that defrost rear window? The 79 Firebird had the electric wires in the back window and the manual references a timer.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:21 PM
Boost Engineer

Do not BELIEVE there were any heated wire defroster systems on GTOs.
Air Blower systems only.

That being said, with people being distracted by a chore called driving the vehicle, I can see why the factories would install a timer on the heated element of the newer defrost
systems. Nice safety feature for both durability of the heating element and also the wiring involved with the system.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sorry gents, i've been a bit imprecise. In the 1970 GTO there were both a heated grid defroster and a hot air blower defogger available. It is a defogger switch I have. The defroster switch might well have had a timer.

PS: Tom, I haven't done anything with that oil pan. I have a doctoral thesis due to my committee on Friday and haven't had too much garage time lately.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	465828  

Old 10-20-2017, 06:04 PM
Boost Engineer

I think Defogger and think Squirrel Cage or similar fan blowing air on the back window of a GTO. Not a later GTO expert by any means which is why I posted BELIEVE. I personally have never owned a Humpy (68-72) GTO.

Tom V.

Old 10-20-2017, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My buddy use to have a switch panel inside of his pull out ash tray, a myriad of switches. The one that cut out the tail lights came in handy when 10-80 after some Saturday night 10-94!