Old 11-25-2008, 04:40 AM

Default electric heater core

I was surfing Youtube and ran across a guy who installed an electric heater core made out of a small ceramic home heater in his car, (that he purchased for $32 brand new). He took it apart and used the ceramic core and with a few modifications installed it in his car in place of his water heater core. Of course the car was an old Mazda that was converted to run as an electric vehicle that had a trunk full of batteries.

(I got a good laugh when I saw him pull out the garden tools to work on his car).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni9-E0696KM

It got me thinking if it would be possible to configure something like this to A standard 12 volt system. Im very limited when it comes to electronics so I was wondering what the draw would be on a 12 volt system using a small power inverter or if it was even possible to run a AC heater in a 12 volt DC system at all.

I havent run a heater core in my car in almost 3 years, (who needs one when you live in L.A.), but it would be nice to defrost the windshield once and awhile.

Last edited by 1960 shark; 11-25-2008 at 04:47 AM.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:04 PM

Break out the garden trowel and the pruning saw and let's take one of these apart:
http://www.amazon.com/American-Acces.../dp/B000CDRA7G
Runs off of cigarette lighter, so couldn't pull too many amps. (probably doesn't produce too much heat either...)
Think I saw another model that was smaller somewhere.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:59 PM

I think thats a viable option.and its cheap to boot.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:48 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Any electric heater that puts out enough heat to be effective will put a very large demand on your 12 volt electrical system. The heater that Amazon sells is rated at 200 watts. That will draw almost 17 amps. That much current running through your lighter circuit, will probably burn it up quickly. If you use something like that, connect it directly to the battery.
The 120 volt heater used on 12 volts will reduce the effectiveness to near useless.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Forget about it. As mentioned, the current requirement from the battery on a 12 volt system, to get any appreciable heat is way too high...certainly too much for a cig lighter circuit.

Way back a friend had a VW pop top van and he wanted more heat, so I supplied him with a 28 volt, 40 A alternator he could mount on his engine. With a rheostat controlling the field and some heater elements from a home electric heater, he was planning on using it in the van.. don't know if he ever did, tho.

George

Old 11-26-2008, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by george kujanski View Post
Way back a friend had a VW pop top van and he wanted more heat, so I supplied him with a 28 volt, 40 A alternator he could mount on his engine. With a rheostat controlling the field and some heater elements from a home electric heater, he was planning on using it in the van..
This is the way to do it. 12V just is too low a voltage for the current demands of an electric heater to get any meaningful heat out. Or a boost converter or similar that ties its power leads directly from the alternator to get the proper gauge wiring. I'd go to 50-75V or so, but at that point why not go 110VAC and use domestic plug-in home stuff, right?

Besides, if someone can't wait the few minutes it takes to warm up your car on a cold day (the pre-heater shrouds and tubing are VERY effective at this) they likely won't want to wait for the electric heater to warm up either ;-) Heater cores are your friend, even though they do tend to leak and are a pain to change...

Old 11-26-2008, 11:17 PM

A few years ago I my heater core saturated my carpet, since I couldnt find anyone that sold a repacement,I had it repaired. The radiator shop that repaired it($50) did a crummy job and it leaked again the following year. So I by passed it and its been like that for over 3 years.

ames, PY, autozone,and a hunt on the web turned up a goose egg.

Winter is coming up, so i was thinking about the times I drove my car down the freeway with my head sticking out the window cause my windshield was fogged up.So I was just thinking of an alternative.I guess electric is out of the question.

B.T.W. anyone got a heater core for a 1960 Ventura laying around, or know where i can get one.?

Old 11-27-2008, 01:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Can't u buy one that is a little larger and have a rad shop modify it to fit?? Or find a buddy that is good with aluminum and modify one to fit?? Just a thought.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Electric heat in car, naw, you'll cook the alternator in the wintertime.

How about re-routing that exhaust heat...?

Seems the antifreeze heater core wins out huh. Just need electric seat heaters. There we go again with elec heat. HIS

Old 12-16-2008, 04:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There you go...get the waste heat from the exhaust manifolds like the VW Beetle or Aircraft engine technique. Always have enuf heat in the piper Warrior, even in winter. The engine is always running loaded tho.

George

Old 12-17-2008, 11:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Your best off just adapting a modern heater core inside the heater box in your car.

Some cars like VW and Corvair had gas heater options. My first car was a $35.00 used 1960 Corvair with that option. It leaked and caught fire, fotunately I was outside scraping Ice and wasnt hurt. Car was a loss. Id be real nervous going that route.

My old bug was pretty warm till below zero temps. Got stopped doing 80plus trying to keep from freezing one night in 30 below weather. Cop was amazed I was going so fast let alone on an icy interstate. I offered for him to try five miles at legal speed and see what he'd do. He yelled at me then said Im goin the other way and you got 20 minutes till the next trooper comes thru. I was off the interstate in 15. no ticket.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:45 AM
Suspended

No way can electric put out the volume of heat the engines hot water can. Besides it will cost you in gasoline due to alt drag and the purely resistive load will beat the hell out of the wiring...

Seat heaters are nice though...

Old 12-25-2008, 01:11 AM

Default GM Heater

Looks like in the late 60's - 70's GM made what they called a 12v electric car warmer. I doubt that it would help defrost the front window. Here's one that recently sold on E-pay Item number: 290282702586. Sorry I don't know how to post pictures so maybe someone else can copy and post them. They call it a warmer so I have my doubts as to how much heat it puts out or the ammount of draw it has on the motor.

Good luck with your search, I'd suggest going to a Napa warehouse store on a slow day and ask the guy to see if he can match it up with something similar.

norm

Old 12-25-2008, 03:12 PM

since its cold out, the heater core is going in. thanks for the info , and the cool story.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:09 AM
Suspended

volvo uses a heater to preheat the air on the N14 diesel engines ( 833 cube ) , it takes alot of juice but they have several batteries to pull the amprerage it needs to get it warm and it really gets warm and quick .