Old 02-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default old repro 389 AC system who knows??

Hallo,
I have an 1965 Bonneville with an aftermarket AC system. I like to buy new hoses.
Any body has an idea where i can buy ? What is this system? At the AC compressor is written MA 7A SERNO DC 12V OGURA Clutch Co LTD TOKYO Japan...
Thanks Bjoern
see pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC 4.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	196665   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC 3.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	196666   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC 2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	196667   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC 1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	196668  

Old 02-10-2010, 03:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default hoses

Nothing special about the hoses... any A/C shop can replace them.

If you want to replace the compressor, that's another story.... I'd suggest a newer design since the one you are showing is aftermarket.... and probably isn't good anymore anyway. For example, classic auto air sells an upgrade kit that would give you a new design compressor (less power drain on your car)... and you wouldn't have to worry about chasing down parts for that old compressor.

http://www.classicautoair.com/Chevel...tml#compressor

Old 02-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That reminds me of the style of compressor used by Ford in the 60's and 70's. My '73 Mustang had a factory sytem that looked like that. I think it was mfg by York.

George

Old 02-15-2010, 07:25 PM

That looks like the same set up that is on our 65 tempest. And yes it is a ford style compresser. I didnt do much checking on this yet but I am wondering if they were dealer installed aftermarket set ups ??? anyone know ? I know on older cars from the 40's and suck heaters were often dealer installed and they sometimes installed what they could get their hands on. As for the tempest, yes we also re-doing the A/C hoses. Whoever installed them did a crappy job and the rub on the valve cover and the A/C mounting bracket. I want to have longer hoses made and run them over to the fender and back to the firewall. Yes the heater hose is getting replaced also, as the previous owner left it hang down and rub on the upper control arm. it is amazing how some people take care of stuff.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 65 Pontiac AC

Her`s some pics of my 65 Bonneville AC system..is exactly same like from "toolow" .. 389 Pontiac ..,
Are you sure thats a Ford? Unbelievable.. i think it s from an aftermark dealer system thats has mounting / bracket set for each car..
Theres a Tag at the compressor .. i will have to clean if its warmer outside..
Thanks for any info...
Bjoern
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC 4.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	197490   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC 1.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	197491   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC 2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	197493  

Old 02-22-2010, 11:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The brand name of the compressor is "York" who supplied compressors to Ford and MOPAR as well as aftermarket.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've got a couple of those compressors that I took off of Lemans and GTOs back in the 80's up in my attic. IIRC I kept the underdash units also. I guess I was too lazy to take them to the dump.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 02-24-2010, 02:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The largest aftermarket air company was the Mark IV and it did use the York compressor. I also have a similar unit on the Star Chief. Besides Mark IV, Ford, and Mopar, Jeep used them in the 70's. The York compressor (if still good) will work better than the newer smaller units at idle in traffic and very light RPM's. It is a fairly large compressor and does draw some horsepower - which is why the clutch is so large. Vintage Air has a repop of the interior unit made to look like the classic Mark IV -- so if you can get the unit working it will definitely be a period correct add on that was installed on many cars.