THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-11-2024, 01:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Definitely a bit more than a guy in his garage with a die grinder

Old 04-11-2024, 02:53 PM
Senior Chief

I can't see that being a factory part. Pontiac was just getting over the emissions problem of 1973 and I am sure the EPA would have really come down on them for this. As was mentioned, it would negate the thermostatic controlled air inlet. From what my dad was telling me, he worked at GM Research in the Emissions Lab during the 70's and 80's, GM was doing everything to comply with Emissions standards put forth from the government. That lid would have been a defeat and frowned upon. If they needed to get more air, they could have done what Chevrolet did with the Corvette, twin snorkels with the thermostatic diaphragms. I think 77-79 Corvettes got the 2 snorkels.