Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-03-2019, 04:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Worn weight pins

Here's a little look at how to fix a very common issue.

This looks familiar...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7010.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	507028  

Old 03-03-2019, 07:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well when I figure out where the rest of the pics and text went it'll make a little more sense.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There's more than one way to "fix" that problem. I'm not saying that every "fix" is a "good fix", though. Looking forward to seeing your post once you get it organized.

Thexton used to sell a kit with plastic bushings. You'd clamp the weights together in a vice, drill the worn-oblong holes with a (1/4"?) cobalt drill bit so the hole was round (but oversized) and then slide a bushing into the oversize hole. The plastic bushing would ride on the worn pin and--supposedly--restore the advance to OEM figures.

I used those kits a thousand years ago, but I never "liked" them.

You sold me some new pins a few years ago. I should place another order... We need to talk anyway. I'll call you this week.

Part of the issue is that GM used several versions of centrifugal advance--metal pin on metal weight, vs pin, plastic bushing, weight, pins of different diameters, plastic pads for the weights to glide on vs. stamped-metal pads.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looking forward to this ... I've got a degree or so of spark scatter that could be due to weights flopping around more than they should.

Would be nice just to press in new pins and tack weld them on the bottom.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have been fighting with the computer with these 6 pics for a day now. I'm over it.

I'll get em up here shortly, then I'll talk about each one. Share some info and what not.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The suspense is exciting. I hope it wont last.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:00 PM
Senior Chief

Exclamation Worn weight pins, additional photos!

Pix #1 - New box of pins

Pix #2 -New pins installed

Pix #3 - Worn pins

Pix # 4 - The grease well
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New pins.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	507149   Click image for larger version

Name:	New installed.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	507150   Click image for larger version

Name:	worn pins.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	507151   Click image for larger version

Name:	grease well.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	507152  

Last edited by 67ramair4; 03-04-2019 at 10:02 PM. Reason: SunTuned had computer issues!!
Old 03-04-2019, 10:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's the deal! Thanks Jake ol buddy!

Used to be long ago when the pins or the shaft got worn, we just went and bought a 37.00 shaft assy from Delco and problem solved. That is no longer an option. So those of us who want to repair the factory stuff, we're going to have to get creative these days. Not as easy as it once was. But with a little batch of parts and some skill we can get this done.

The first pic is a box of factory pins, 15 lbs worth to be exact. We will need 2 of those. And yes it really is just as easy as turning the shaft upside down in a vise, driving the old worn pins out with a punch. Putthe new pins in square em up real good and mig or tig them in place. I actually solve brazed em in long ago. Works just fine unless they're being circle track raced, then you better fusion weld em in permanent.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Pins

Good info Bob. What type grease do you recommend for pins/weights.
Gerry

1968 Firebird 400, 068 cam, TH400 & 13" Continental Converter, Auburn posi with 3:08 factory gears, Cliff's Q-jet resting on a 68 factory iron intake, DUI HEI and Ram Air pans and RARE Long Branch Manifolds
Old 03-04-2019, 10:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The second pic is after the pins are installed. Pic below that is what needs a little love. These are about average and aren't going to work well in actual use at all. Very inconsistent operation with grooves all worn in pins like this. When they get like this it's time to find a core with a better shaft, or bite the bullet and send it in and have it fixed. Now before everyone gets to calling I'm not selling pins by themselves. I will however fix a shaft for you. Not getting in the business of selling parts, but for the original shaft assys this is one hell of a saving grace. Countless shaft assys have had to be trash canned because of pins that look this way. To my knowledge I'm the only one on the planet reworking these things that has these pins. They are from Delco, and they are the right size. The only difference is that they lack the flange the originals had but that is easily rectified by a small pair of nylon washers. That actually adds a little better wear surface for the bottom of the weights to pivot on.

The last pic is the infamous grease well that I have complained about for years. This particular one was empty, as it was a rebuilder distributor. It at some point had its original bushings knocked out and the always less than optimum replacements driven back in. This one lacked the 2 small 1/16" lube holes the factory ones always had. So I pulled the top and added them and replaced the top bushing and packed the well with grease and it's good to go now.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gerry, I don't really like to put grease on the pins and weights. Few drops of engine oil is usually good for a year or so. I have put just a very small and I mean very small amount of GM shaft lubricant(very light bodied grease) on the weight pads themselves.

Down south the grease works ok, as long as it's really like a light moly grease. Up north it's a no go in winter months. Like today, I think it was -7 in crystal lake Illinois, grease will only turn hard as a brick in that kind of environment, and be just like glue. So I try to avoid grease on weight pins. I've used it before here around home and it does fair in summer but in winter it gets sticky ,hard and just don't work worth crap. So about all I do there is shoot a little 30W on em and let em be. You still should check under that rotor at least once a year and add some oil to it then. Don't glob it on there as it will sling all over if you do and cause other problems.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

...selling any of those pins?

Old 03-05-2019, 08:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
...selling any of those pins?
I sent a PM regarding the pins as well. Thanks for the thread Suntuned

Old 03-05-2019, 09:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Very interesting ... I find myself coveting that box of pins

Old 03-05-2019, 09:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well I don't know, you know it really didn't do any of us any good that I beat the bushes at Delco to finally figure out a solution to this worn pin shaft problem 25 years ago if a guy just sits on the junk and ends up dying with all of em left. Right? Then they probably get tossed in the trash and what good does that do?

I'm not selling them. PM for any further details on this. I'll say this though. This is how I feel about it. I'll part with some for you guys and girls here on this forum. I busted my ass on a hardwire telephone (remember those) back before there really was google and such. Run up a pretty good phone bill doing it. Found this stuff and I swear the only way I got through to the guy was he says, "why don't you just go buy a new shaft assy and be done with it?" I told him, "that would be great Mr. Just as soon as you guys go back to making them available" he says what do you mean? I told him Buick, Olds, and us Pontiac folks don't get that lucky as chevy and get to buy a new shaft anymore cause y'all discontinued them. So now we got stuff getting trashed that could be fixed, except there's no real good way to do that. That's why I'm on your telephone. Guy thought for a minute and says lemme have a name and address and I'll see what can be done. Nothing probably as there's about 2 feet of paperwork to fill out to sell some kid anything here. So I'll check.

Bout 2 months goes by , and I gave up, and I come home and there's this box on porch. Letter inside with Santa Claus pic at top. " couldn't figure out the paperwork deal so, we are sending a "sample run" for your inspection. Merry Xmas! Let somebody at this number know if you wish to place an order. Thanks for the inquiry."

Well I'll be go to... and so I sent the man a letter back. With money inside that was Expressly not a purchase, and a note telling him ...and a Very Merry Christmas to you to Mr. Delco. I got a call. Got my ass chewed. " you aren't supposed to pay me for these." I told him I didn't. He said what's this money for then? I told him it's Christmas! Take your wife out to dinner somewhere nice on me, as a personal favor.

That's how we all ended up with a box of pins to keep us going!

Old 03-05-2019, 10:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Standard used to offer the pins, not that long ago....I quit the auto parts asylum in 1998, so it was after that. I had been able to keep up with stuff until 2012 through a buddy, then he left also...
I will see if I can find a catalog in that time line....be patient...
Thanks Bob!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 03-05-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
Standard used to offer the pins, not that long ago....I quit the auto parts asylum in 1998, so it was after that. I had been able to keep up with stuff until 2012 through a buddy, then he left also...
I will see if I can find a catalog in that time line....be patient...
Thanks Bob!!!
This one?:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/st...ight+pin,10779

And the Delco version:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/ac...ight+pin,10779

Looks like generic picture used for both. Wonder how they actually look...

Last edited by adynes; 03-05-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Are the pins the same for a hei and a points distributor?

Old 03-05-2019, 02:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So at what point is it more cost effective to go with a new billet distributor? Say we have the pins replaced and then there's shaft wear at the lower bushing so we weld and on to the next issue. Factor in return shipping and turn around time it might become a viable option ~$330 for a new distributor, ball bearing included. And since the factory pins wore out commonly they will just wear out again and your box is only so big.

Can you give an all in price on what you charge for a rebuild so we have an idea?

Last edited by P@blo; 03-05-2019 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by adynes View Post
This one?:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/st...ight+pin,10779

And the Delco version:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/ac...ight+pin,10779

Looks like generic picture used for both. Wonder how they actually look...
Just checked the Delco #89056657 on GM's locator.
Still available direct ship from vender. Usually takes 1-2 days depending where vender is located.
Cost is 6.09 for a pair.
Have a few good shaft cores, but may order a few pairs anyway.
Now if only could what I really need. An assortment of Pontiac weights to experiment with...

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100