Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-21-2018, 11:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default BOP cam gear

Can the BOP composite gear be used with a hft cam? Has anyone done this?

Old 11-22-2018, 02:57 AM
Senior Chief

Running one now. Works fine.

Old 11-22-2018, 04:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, Stripes. I know they are intended to be used with roller cams, and have used them with those cams. I have a distributor with one that I need to use on my hft cam for now and didn't want to ruin it.

Old 11-22-2018, 04:15 PM
Senior Chief

I put an 80lb oil pump in my 455 and because of that decided to run the composite distributor gear. I'm running the o68 factory cam at this point and having no problems with the gear or the oil pump. I will be upgrading to a roller cam soon so went ahead and installed the composite gear.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool, thanks!! My daily driver distributor failed so I'm going to use the one out of my race car for the time being.

Old 11-23-2018, 09:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Another success story for the composite gear on a flat tappet cam.
I ran a roller motor in my truck for a couple years. Then switched back to the flat tappet engine using the same distributor with the composite gear. Continued to daily drive that truck for the next 3 years or so without any issues.

Old 11-23-2018, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If the distributor drive gear is smooth then it will be fine. A plastic gear really doesn't care what type of material drives it, cast steel, billet steel, or iron. It does care about any machine/tooling marks, "rough" surface, sharp edges, etc.

We've had perfect success with them here if/when the drive gear was smooth and without anything mentioned above.

IF you put one on a billet cam that has a "rough" surface, tooling marks, etc it will get chewed up in pretty short order. Found this out the hard way couple of times and started bead blasting the cam drive gears with ultra-fine glass beads and removing any sharp edges with a fine jewelers file, and since then no issues.

I even have a bronze drive gear on my distributor mated with a billet roller cam that got the same treatment. Removed in a few months back and it's in mint shape. It's got a LOT of run time on it, placed in service back in 2009........Cliff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180808_094556.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	498528  

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),