Old 06-21-2014, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
Sometime you do what you have to do or what make economical sense. we have a 67 firebird project that I'll start on next year and I seriously thought about an LS deal because this will be a fun street/driver car but the wife squashed that idea.
Wow!!! That's an awesome wife!!!

I have a friend that's built an entire car in his garage, by him self, at his wife's urging. He's now 70 and is having minor health issues, which make him unfit to drive the dad gum thing.
I feel certain this this would run a 7 second 1/4 mile e.t...............
I wish the world could see this thing, it's a work of art, essentially a 92 GRAND AM prostocker. 541 Pontiac, w/ a home mead tunnel ram intake, and an injector hat on top of that....He spoke of selling the car, about a year ago, his wife said NO WAY!!!

My former spouse hated my T/A, made sure to speak unkindly of it in front of it to her 2 young daughters...so they could hate it too!!!!! Man I'm thankful NOT to be married to her......and still have my T/A!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 06-21-2014, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As a guy who won't put a hemi into a nitro funny car, it's hard for me to endorse a non-Pontiac engine in a traditional pontiac body. That being said, the LS engine has a great bottom end, very strong and good crank support. The heads can take you anywhere you want to go and so many packages have been already totally worked out. It's easy to get sucked-in to the corporate LS engine package. A friend of mine did exactly that, He has a replica 69 Trans AM, a beautiful car and converted it to LS power two years ago. The car is slightly faster than it ever was with traditional power, about .4 sec. and 6 mph. So it did improve. What caught him totally off guard was the wrath of backlash from the Pontiac faithful. Everywhere he takes the car, when he lifts the hood, the car is totally ignored or ridiculed. He took it to Norwalk last year and there was a trail of people following it all over until he opened the hood, then there was a mass exodus away from the car, with lots of pretty brutal language about how he had totally "ruined" the car. Many thought it was a real TA I guess. Anyway, he is so shaken-up by the backlash, he hasn't driven the car in a year. I think he plans to go back to Pontiac power or sell it. So I guess be prepared to have VERY THICK skin at the Pontiac events at least. Good luck with your choice, no doubt, the LS platform is impressive.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:22 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
As a guy who won't put a hemi into a nitro funny car, it's hard for me to endorse a non-Pontiac engine in a traditional pontiac body. That being said, the LS engine has a great bottom end, very strong and good crank support. The heads can take you anywhere you want to go and so many packages have been already totally worked out. It's easy to get sucked-in to the corporate LS engine package. A friend of mine did exactly that, He has a replica 69 Trans AM, a beautiful car and converted it to LS power two years ago. The car is slightly faster than it ever was with traditional power, about .4 sec. and 6 mph. So it did improve. What caught him totally off guard was the wrath of backlash from the Pontiac faithful. Everywhere he takes the car, when he lifts the hood, the car is totally ignored or ridiculed. He took it to Norwalk last year and there was a trail of people following it all over until he opened the hood, then there was a mass exodus away from the car, with lots of pretty brutal language about how he had totally "ruined" the car. Many thought it was a real TA I guess. Anyway, he is so shaken-up by the backlash, he hasn't driven the car in a year. I think he plans to go back to Pontiac power or sell it. So I guess be prepared to have VERY THICK skin at the Pontiac events at least. Good luck with your choice, no doubt, the LS platform is impressive.
LOL, If Bart wasn't a Mod (who could banish us all in the push of a button), more would be on his case for his LS powered Tempest. He rarely posts about it but it was very nicely done.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Non Pontiac in a Pontiac....unless Pontiac built it that way... well isnt that like asking your cousin out on a date? She may be pretty and willing, but it just aint right!

Old 06-22-2014, 02:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

I really like the LSx based engines, and have seriously considered putting one in my 77.

For what I paid for the new E-heads I could have bought a running 6.0 and a 4l80e with all the wires and computers. Add a cam and swap to a ls6 head/intake and I would have run just as quick as my 474. Stock bottom end 5.3 turbos are running low 9's and quicker.
That's a nice bang for the buck.

I'm a glutton for punishment, the 474 is going back in.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would like to mess around with a 5.7 Toyota Tundra engine at some point. But not in a Pontiac. It would have to be in a Chevy (payback)
They seem to have the highest potential out of all the new small block type of engines. They are a twin overhead cam Hemi, how do you beat that ? The LS engines are just a 4 head bolt pushrod engine.
I have a 2007 Tundra 4wd, 5700lbs, and it has run 14.65 just driving up and letting the rear tires down to 20lbs. 381 HP stock. Toyota has a factory 10lb boost water cooled roots blower that will get you just over 50hp.
I would love to take one of these engines apart. They seem overbuilt from the outside. Large cast aluminum oil pan with a canister type filter. And they are a wide engine. The Ford mod engines are DOHC hemis but physically smaller.
You can tell my truck wants to rev to the moon, but the factory rev limiter wont let it. I wonder if Toyota make a bunch of high perf parts like cams, intakes ect ?
This said, don't put some LS in a old Pontiac, its very LAME.
First thing I do when a new Pontiac shows up at the track is look under the car to see whats in it. If its not a Pontiac I just walk off.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

I like what Roger said - never beaten by a LS engine powered car
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-9thAPD08_022.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	367676  

Old 06-22-2014, 02:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Right or wrong, that is exactly what I do when I see a Chevy powered Pontiac. I become completely uninterested in it. Now don't get me wrong - I love Chevy's too. I have several 67-72 Chevy trucks, and I have a Camaro, but I don't want to see a Chevy engine in a Pontiac. Its just that simple, IMO.

BTW, spare me the "But, but, but - it's a corporate engine!!!" crap. If an engine comes in a Chevy truck, it's a Chevy.

With all that said, its your car, and you have to decide what you want.

'78 Lemans - Drag car project
Old 06-22-2014, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree completely. I heard the guy with the TA replica I mentioned just bought a Cadillac CTS V. Now he has his LS in a Cadillac and nobody cares one way or another! I understand the passion for traditional Pontiac power as well as anyone on here and I tried to warn him before he began the project. Not sure what he did with the car.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Those CTS V's run 10's with minimal work.

Forced induction is the future of daily drivers with way too much power.

Once you take an old Pontiac and add fuel injection, sensors and a computer, boost becomes a lot more manageable. An 800+ hp daily driver is very doable with what I have now.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via MSN to Chris Petersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Holmberg View Post
Those CTS V's run 10's with minimal work.

Forced induction is the future of daily drivers with way too much power.

Once you take an old Pontiac and add fuel injection, sensors and a computer, boost becomes a lot more manageable. An 800+ hp daily driver is very doable with what I have now.
That's my goal right here...^^^^
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	turbo_pontiac_EFI.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	367756  

463 SRP .035 Pistons, Eagle rods, N crank, Pump gas, Victor intake, Holley 850BT carb, 6H heads,TH400 w/T-Break, Continental custom 3500 converter, 3.73 gears. TV7101 TURBO!

Old 06-23-2014, 09:40 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via MSN to Chris Petersen

I was also thinking about moving to a different engine platform (LS) but when you really get down to it, there is no cool factor in it for me. Everyone has one. I like to be different. Cost is not that muct different if you want it to last. Sure you can take a stock bottom end LS and boost it and make a lot, but how long will it last? If you build both engines to last, the cost is not all that different. BTW, if I ever do switch, it will go into a different ride. No offence to anyone, to each there own, I like seeing a Pontiac in a Pontiac.

463 SRP .035 Pistons, Eagle rods, N crank, Pump gas, Victor intake, Holley 850BT carb, 6H heads,TH400 w/T-Break, Continental custom 3500 converter, 3.73 gears. TV7101 TURBO!

Old 06-23-2014, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the replies guys. I have not made up my mind yet, but when I do what ever engine I use will not be to impress anyone else, but me.

I am frustrated with the Pontiac engine after the last few builds and having problems. I have built friends some engines recently and all are running great. Hell one of the engines I built for a buddy is a low budget big block Ford that has been killing the mud races over here for the past few years. This particular Pontiac build has given me problems for some reason. I did better with my old Pontiac when I used junk parts.

I need to get my car going again and see if it makes me grin like it used too.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick67bird View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the replies guys. I have not made up my mind yet, but when I do what ever engine I use will not be to impress anyone else, but me.

I am frustrated with the Pontiac engine after the last few builds and having problems.
I would go with a BB Chevy and have the advantage of a wider bore space,or a large cubic inch small block.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Petersen View Post
That's my goal right here...^^^^
That's a good goal to have Chris.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Realistically a LS motor with all the computer controls is a good choice. You can auto tune the car as you are driving it with a laptop. If you are going for an all out race car, its the way to go.

The problem with doing that, is a lot of gray area in the fan base. If the car is done right and respectable, then I would think people would accept the car for what it is. If you hack everything by making a fugly mess of the project and cut corners all day long, then I'm pretty sure you will be shot full of holes.

Think about the project at hand, build what you want, but be prepared for a-holes and opinions.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm selling all my Pontiacs and parts and starting my own knitting club!

7.940@170.84. 3460#s
Old 06-23-2014, 07:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL Jack View Post
With the way you have popped out kids it will save some money on diapers.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:40 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL Jack View Post
You don't have any PONTIAC parts on your engine anyway.
Everything is "BIG SAUSAGE" stuff now.

TV

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Once you stuff another engine in a old Pontiac its not really a Pontiac anymore. So you would deserve all the negative you get.
If you are not trying for some outrageous HP number the Pontiac is as good or better than most. I see in your sig you have a mid 11 car. Pontiacs are GREAT in the low/mid 11 to low 10 second rides. You can do it with stock everything(block, heads, crank) sans the rods. Keep the RPMs under 6500 and they last forever.
Besides, the lamest of the lame are the idiots who for some reason have this low 11 car and think they have to shove a BBC in the car because its cheaper and more reliable. I do not care if its is a 10 sec car. You know haw many of those guys I have beat with a high CR BBC with a pump gas iron headed 455 with 1000+ passes on it.