THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm still running a distant second in recovery, but every day I do see improvement.The recliner was my best friend after finding out that regular chairs (and especially the office contour chair) killed me after a minute or two of sitting. I used the recliner as a base of operations during the day between walking around the house, and at night I slept on the day bed for the first three weeks. Sometimes they supply you with a foam wedge that keeps you situated properly. I didn't have the foam wedge and still didn't have a problem. I think it was during week two that I carefully managed to roll over on the good hip with a big pillow between my knees to keep the heeling hip at the proper angle. I still have to change positions pretty regular while sleeping to keep comfortable. Only thing I had go wrong was after getting back in my normal bed. First couple of nights went without a problem, then the wife rolled over on my leg with the replacement and it really stretched something out of whack. An X-ray showed that the hip was fine and it just messed up the soft tissue. That was a little over a week ago, and I'd say that it put me back about a week. Still sore, but coming along. I'm going to a car show about 60 miles away on Saturday, and I'm sure I could drive there at this point - but will let my buddy drive so I can squirm around in the seat if necessary without changing lanes and scaring the hell out of my passengers. My recovery from shoulder rotator cup surgery was blazingly fast, and I was hoping this recovery would be as quick. But I'm only at exactly 5 weeks today, and I can hobble around pretty good without a walker or cane despite the stretched muscle. Guess I'm just impatient.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:44 PM
Senior Chief

I think I am going to sleep in the recliner for at least 2 weeks, to keep me from rolling around. I would sure like to know if I am going to get the resurfacing or the THR.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I haven't had it yet but someday looking forward to it. Lol

1968 lemans :In progress!
1970 Bonneville 455 HO convertible (survivor)sold
1969 firebird
Old 02-09-2012, 02:49 AM
Senior Chief

Hello guys how about an update? I found out that my company is going to let me have 2 months FMLA, does that seen like it will be enough? I think that is pretty fast, but I do want to get back to work as soon as I can to help out my savings account.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm at 8-1/2 weeks since the operation, and have previously reported that I seem to be coming along a little slower than others having the operation. Even so, at week seven, I stored away the cane and haven't used it since. I still have a limp, but I'm walking better each day - and getting to the point where most of the time I don't even think about the hip now. Two days ago I helped my son replace a header gasket on the GTO, and spent yesterday working on a friends car doing the initial engine break-in. By the end of the day I was gimping some, but still managed to hop in the car and make the GTO club meeting. Today I washed up the GTO getting ready for the Dr. George show in Palm Springs this Saturday. I'm driving around with no problems, and can even drive the little SUV with a manual trans - worried about that somewhat, but no problem. Still can't sit too long in the office chair, but getting up and walking around every 10 minutes seems to keep the leg muscles from stiffening up.

I should mention that the hip joint is a non-issue. It's the leg muscles that are still tender, but they are getting stronger by the day.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:15 PM
Senior Chief

Glad to hear that you are on the mend and getting back to normal things. I will be going in on Friday.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am doing real good after 8 weeks. The amount of time it takes you to recover and return to work will depend on the type of work you do. I could of returned to work a month ago if I was doing an office type job, but being a heavy duty truck driver I can not return to work for another 4-6 weeks. I feel I could return to work, but my DR and the company DR says no. My DR did say I healed faster than 95% of his patients did. I stopped using my crutches pretty quick after surgery, but I kept them close because my leg muscles did not fatigue like normal. Instead of fatiguing the muscles would knot up and not work properly which made walking near impossible.

Like Mick said I do not have any joint pain anymore, but there is a lot of trauma to the muscles after the DR manipulates them to put the prosthesis in. I have now been going to the gym for the past 3 weeks, but still do real light weights for my legs and have to watch how much cardio I do or I am gimped up for a couple of days.

Good luck and the best advice I can give you is to follow DR's orders and to start taking a stool softener a week or so before you surgery as the pain pills will clog you up.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:12 PM
Senior Chief

ok I am back!!!!!! no pain at all except for sore muscles, but that is almost all gone. In on friday out sunday. doing all my excersizes that they told me. how soon has anyone started PT? I walked to the end of the block with my walker. Andy in tucson

Old 02-21-2012, 02:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do the exercises they gave you in the hospital for the first 4 week or so. I went to the gym after 4 weeks and rode the recumbent bike. I have not had any professional PT. I just formulated a plan on my own with regard to the hip precautions. You do not want to dislocate the joint as that will set the recovery back substantially and weaken the prostheses. I was in the gym fully at 6 weeks. As a kid I could dislocate my hip at will and then as an adult my hip would dislocate occasionally so knew by experience how far I could push the muscles and joint. Go slow and listen to your body.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You should ask your Doctor about PT after any joint replacement.

My experience, and knowing two guys who have had total hip replacements is PT can pay off in ways that "home self exercise" will not.
For one thing you are being forced to work out, like having a gym buddy.
Another is: they know more standard exercises (than you can come up with on your own), and results may be much faster.

These joints and muscles havent seen a full range of motion in years, maybe decades. A PT can help stretch the muscles, and they are trained and know when to stop, how much to do.

Your Doctor may tell you at some point: "just walk and go about daily life" but it depends on factors like age and what you are trying to "get back" with the new hip.

If you are "old", and just want to be free of pain, and walk to the mailbox, thats one thing but someone who wants to play golf again, or hunt / outdoor activities... thats another level and may require some agressive PT....just depends.

A experienced PT... ist will know the deal once they understand the Doctors orders, so its important to communicate this with your Doc, since he/she writes the PT script.

They may even massage the nerve group in your groin area for a time (feels like a knot when tight and deep) to loosen things up....so be forewarned....

One way they measure the progress is by laying you flat on your back and seeing the extension you have on your leg. You go in before workout and its measured laying on workout bed. After the workout its often much better, and noticeable that same day.

Jeff

Old 02-23-2012, 06:27 PM
Senior Chief

I called my Dr., and he told me to just keep doing my booklet until my follow up apt. on the 7th of Mar. He did tell me to be done with the walker and use the cane. Honestly the cane causes me to limp more, so I just carry it with me. I have been out walking the last few days with no pain at all. I have been able to see a huge difference in my range of motion in just these 6 days. I think much of it has to do with my age and our grate weather here also. Trying to decide if I want to take a 2 hour car ride, and see a large Olds car show this Sunday. I will play it by ear, I would love to go but if it will be to much I will pass. Andy

Old 02-23-2012, 06:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My father who is 84 years old is on his 3rd hip replacement (one of the replacement hips wasn’t installed too well. After the 3rd hip went in, he found a great deal of relief from a lot of pain

My next door neighboor is 86 years old and has two artificial hips and a tricked out knee made of titanium. He is still very active and even does activities like climbing up tall ladders to trim trees in his yard. This man can climb !
Last year, over a period of about a week, he spent a few hours a day on the roof of his two story house to clean a lot of moss that had accumulated. He does a lot of gardening and is comfortable with these sorts of activites.

Good luck with yours !