THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-24-2011, 06:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey guys, back on the computer. Would have been on sooner, but I'm one of those individuals that have trouble focusing the eyes for a few days after general anesthesia - hate looking at at the screen cross-eyed.

I had the normal posterior incision and everything went very well, and absolutely no pain in the hip area. They had me walking (stretch of the word) within 12 hours of the operation. Second day I had a physical therapist that pushed me a little too hard and something in the kneecap complained. I've had pretty good swelling ever since in the kneecap area, but every day it is decreasing.

As far as what to opt for on the hip joint materials, best advise I can give is to Google each type. Bottom line I discovered is that there are problems with all of them - so we each need to decide which type will prove the least trouble for us.

The early ceramics had their problems, but the later ones have held up excellent. The ball is ceramic and the socket is polyethylene. For an old goat like myself, it will be a lifetime replacement. For someone younger and physically demanding on the joint everyday, 12 to 15 years will be about it. Anyway, this is the one that my surgeon recommended for me.

The Google search for Cobalt, Titanium, and other metals resulted in reading about quite a few cases of metal poisoning. No mater what the material, microscopic particles wear off and travel through the blood stream until finally landing in the kidneys. Doesn't seem to hit everyone, but enough to consider whether it's right for you. Polyethylene wears off, but is an inert substance in the body.

Anyway, time to get off here and get the knee back elevated.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:08 PM

Glad you're doing well Mick.

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 12-25-2011, 04:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good to see you are doing good Mick. I have the new Mobile bearing hip replacement from Stryker. I was advised against ceramic at my age because in an active lifestyle there is a chance for it to chip, but have read good reviews on it.

So far my recovery is going good. I stopped all pain pills and feel pretty good. I am able to walk 14-16 steps without any assistance, but I use crutches otherwise.

Merry Christmas to all of you and thanks for thinking of me.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:13 PM

Take care Mick, best wishes to you for a full and quick recovery.

Bart

Old 12-26-2011, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Arrow Artificial joint life expectancy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4speed View Post
.... For someone younger and physically demanding on the joint everyday, 12 to 15 years will be about it...
As they say in the car ads; "your results may vary". I had bilateral full knee replacements in 1997 and the working gaps between my ball & sockets, as viewed on an x-ray indicate little or no wear in my 15 years of working in my garage and over/under my Pontiacs during that period. As Mick mentioned, the 10-15 year lifespan of these parts appears to be based on playing tennis or racket ball on a daily basis.

'65 Buick Sport Wagon Custom, 340, T350, 3:23
'66 GTO Post/468, 700R4, 3.31 (Mike's as of 9-16)
'68 Grand Prix/455, dual AFBs, T400, 2:93 posi (sold)
'72 TA tribute/461, T400, 3.08, (Russ's as of 9-16)
'97 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Turbo, Konis, 5 speed
'09 Torrent GXP, nav, Sun & Sound pkg., Bilsteins
Old 12-28-2011, 05:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK after a week and a day out of surgery my recovery is going faster than I anticipated. I have taken a few walks up and down my block without using crutches. I carry them with me just in case I need them. I have not had to take any pain pills so that is good. I am able to get up easier than before surgery as the movement in my hip is fluid and there is no binding as I get up.

I am definitely happy that I had it done. I have to remind myself to follow the hip precautions as I do feel pretty good.

Thanks everyone for keeping me in your thoughts.

Robert

Old 12-29-2011, 02:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great Robert! I'm glad to hear you're recovering well.

68 Firebird, trying a q-jet now. 434/10.5:1/997's/240-242 HFT/4L80E/2800 Yank/3.42's/ Vintage Air/ 13.0 @105 mph
70 Lemans, 350/350, A/C, mostly stock
14 Ram CC, 5.7 Hemi, 8-speed, 3.92 lsd
97 Trans Am, HPP Aug 2012 http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...tiac_trans_am/ ***Sold***
Old 12-29-2011, 03:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One thing joint replacements have to be VERY CAREFUL of is infections. Dental procedures, Colonoscopys, anything that can release bacteria into the body may go right to the joint. Hard to kill when it gets up in the nooks and crannies of the new joint.
You have to get into the mindset of always thinking about cuts, dental cleanings ect, kind of hard to do at first if not used to it.

Good luck on recovery, I know you feel much better.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Arrow Pre-medication is necessary..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHarper View Post
One thing joint replacements have to be VERY CAREFUL of is infections. Dental procedures, Colonoscopys, anything that can release bacteria into the body may go right to the joint. Hard to kill when it gets up in the nooks and crannies of the new joint.
You have to get into the mindset of always thinking about cuts, dental cleanings ect, kind of hard to do at first if not used to it.

Good luck on recovery, I know you feel much better.
Good point re infection in joint replacements. Sharren and I both pre-medicate prior to dental procedures, surgeries, etc.. We use Clindamycin, an antibiotic, one hour prior to the procedure.

'65 Buick Sport Wagon Custom, 340, T350, 3:23
'66 GTO Post/468, 700R4, 3.31 (Mike's as of 9-16)
'68 Grand Prix/455, dual AFBs, T400, 2:93 posi (sold)
'72 TA tribute/461, T400, 3.08, (Russ's as of 9-16)
'97 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Turbo, Konis, 5 speed
'09 Torrent GXP, nav, Sun & Sound pkg., Bilsteins
Old 01-10-2012, 04:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Updating this thread for the people who are interested in this surgery.

It has been 3 weeks since my surgery and other than needing to follow the hip precautions I am walking with no assistance now. I keep my crutches near me because the muscles are still healing and when muscle fatigue sets in it is quite rapid without warning. I have to remind myself to take long strides to stretch the muscles. I also concentrate on keeping my foot straight. I get to start back to the gym today. I think the game plan is to use the bike and maybe an elliptical. Going to go very slow with them and concentrate on form more than anything.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:47 AM

Glad you're doing well with this. how's your comfort level at this point?

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 01-10-2012, 03:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like I'm running a distant second place in the recovery - although every day I can tell I'm making progress. I had a lot of swelling in the leg which really limited any movement in the knee joint for the first two weeks. It's been three weeks and three days and the swelling is finally gone, but I still require the walker to get around safely. Yesterday was the first un-aided steps, but I looked more like Frankenstein's monster walking across the room. Also seems like the day after pushing myself requires lighter activity because the knee joint is so sensitive.

The good news is the new hip and the incision have never caused me any pain at all - even the day after the operation. If it were not for the lousy knee joint, I'd also be up and down the block unassisted. I've got a big bottle of Norco's that is still full. I have learned that taking a half pill at the end of the day after walking around a lot will remove the muscle ache, but definitely nothing needed for the hip itself.

I've got the same problem with keeping the foot straight, and it requires some concentration to not pull the foot in while walking. At first I had a fear that the doc set the ball part of the socket at the incorrect position and I was going to be doomed to walking pigeon toed from now on with that leg - but after pointing both feet outward as far as they would go, they were at an equal angle. So it seems that it's nothing more than muscles that need to be stretched out.

My new goal is to kick up the exercise program and narrow the gap of how far Robert is ahead of me.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike nixon View Post
Glad you're doing well with this. how's your comfort level at this point?
Other than the swelling where they went in the comfort level is ok. I have no pain in the hip area at all which is an incredible feeling since I always had severe pain the hip area. The only problem I have is having to sleep on my back. A few more weeks and then I can sleep on my side again. Thanks for the well wishes.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mick,

You are doing great in the recovery aspect. My GF's ex father in law had a hip replaced about the same time as you and he has popped it out of socket twice so it could be worse. I got lucky that my knees are pretty good and I got the minor knee surgery I had to have done out of the way before my hip surgery. I still walk like Frankenstein's monster, but my gait is getting smoother everyday. One of the the exercises I do every day is a very slow methodical walk where I take nice long strides as smooth as I can to lengthen the muscles. After that exercise I am able to walk pretty normal because the muscles are stretched out really nice.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4speed View Post

My new goal is to kick up the exercise program and narrow the gap of how far Robert is ahead of me.
We will keep pushing each other and before you know it we will be running circles around everyone. It might be in our Pontiacs, but at least we will be able to get in the cages easier than before.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:59 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the updates, I am looking at a resurfacing procedure. Trying to figure out how long I will be off of work. The doctor will try the resurfacing, but will have the total hip replacement ready to go if the bone is to badly damaged

Old 01-21-2012, 12:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have had both hips replaced do to having ankylosing spondylitis. The first one in 96, was the metal ball and plastic socket type. The second in 2000 and is all metal, I believe the cobalt chrome type. Neither has given me any problems and am still turning wrenches everyday.

www.jandjrepairandrestoration
Old 01-21-2012, 04:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61 vent View Post
Thanks for the updates, I am looking at a resurfacing procedure. Trying to figure out how long I will be off of work. The doctor will try the resurfacing, but will have the total hip replacement ready to go if the bone is to badly damaged
Depending on what hip is operated on you can not drive for 6-8 weeks. At least that is the recommendation. If your job is not very physical you can probably be back to work in as little as 8 weeks. If your job is physical and you have to go up and down ladders or steps very much it will probably be 12-14 weeks.

Everyone heals differently, but I was able to put my crutches away after 3 weeks. After a week I was able to walk without them, but kept them with me because the muscles would fatigue quickly in the operative leg and would need the support. I have been going to the gym now for almost 2 weeks and can ride the bike for 30 minutes on a low setting. My surgery was Dec. 20th.

I have not had any pain in the hip joint what so ever since the surgery. The muscles where the incisions were made are still swollen, but that is going down everyday. Even if you have the hip resurfacing you will have to follow all the same hip precautions as if you had a replacement to ensure you do not dislocate the new joint. The biggest precaution is not to go past 90 when you are getting up or setting down in a chair. Practice before your surgery as it will help you tremendously afterwards.

If the hospital where you are having your surgery has a class on joint replacement I would try to attend as it provides a lot of useful information on what to expect after the surgery and on precautions you must take to ensure that you do not dislocate the joint The class will provide a list of items you will need as well as tools that will help you around the house after surgery.

Another thing a week or so before your surgery take STOOL SOFTENERS as the pain medication will constipate you. You do not want to give birth to the big sand paper turd.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Walker View Post
I have had both hips replaced do to having ankylosing spondylitis. The first one in 96, was the metal ball and plastic socket type. The second in 2000 and is all metal, I believe the cobalt chrome type. Neither has given me any problems and am still turning wrenches everyday.
It is good to know that you are doing well after 16 years on the first replacement and are still active. My DR said not barring any accidents he feels my replacement should last me 20-25 years.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:19 PM
Senior Chief

I got the word today that it will be on the 17th of Feb. Thanks for all of your advice, I will find out if they have a class and I can start to practice on getting up and down. My wife is a CNA and has had the training for this so that will be a big help. This will be my right hip so that my screw me on driving. I am a Aircraft inspector, and will need to go through my companies doctor prior to going back to work. I have seen them go crazy with a shoulder surgery, keeping someone off work because they said they could trip on a air hose. Doctor said he was good after 2 weeks and they kept him out an additional 3. Oh one question I had, can you use a recliner when you get home to sleep in? I am worried that I will be trying to sleep on my sides and stomach all the time.