THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-20-2022, 01:12 AM

Default Guys I've got a weird one for ya. Help me.

Ok random post for the day.

I love Pontiacs and specifically the 66 gto is my favorite with obvious love for the 67 and all other years and models. But there is a couple of items that got me drooling over GTOs and made it my dream car. One was XXX the movie with Vin diesel (I'm 30 so I grew up with it) and the other was a magazine feature on a 66-67 GTO. Well now that I have (close enough) my dream car 66 lemans I am trying to find the rag and article mentioned prior. So I'll try to give details but it was probably about 15-18 years ago ( I know, I know I'm pushing my luck).

I religiously read all the paper rags from the time I was 8 till the got terrible in the last 5-8 years or so. And the magazine I recall did not seam to have the Hot Rod (mag) feel to it in both layout and article.
It was a blue 66-67 tempest, lemans, gto (but I'm pretty sure it wasnt a GTO because I remember that being mentioned how it's the same body.
It was blue
It had an A833/my6 trans swapped in it

And that's all... Lol. It had stuck with me and I have tried buying a few random years of that vintage or popular hot rodding and high performance Pontiac but have yet to get lucky.

Very very very very long shot but if you have an idea I would love it since it's partly responsible for my obsession.

Thanks.

Old 01-20-2022, 10:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Funny how that works- there was an article in High Performance Pontiac about a Mayfair Maize ‘65 2+2 in their ‘How to spot a fake Judge’ issue. That article started my obsession with the full size ‘65’s.

What is an A833? I would bet someone here remembers it. Good luck!

Old 01-20-2022, 11:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A833 is a New Process (MOPAR) trans used in the 81-87 GM light duty pickups.

It had third gear set 1:1 and 4th gear was a .73 overdrive. It came with an unmarked Hurst floor shifter.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/art...d-transmission

I knew as soon as I saw one that I had to have it.

It could use a little more first gear, especially when trailering with a smaller motor, but it is a sweet little trans.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 01-20-2022 at 11:46 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2022, 02:19 PM
Boost Engineer

Ford had some similar 3 speed plus 1 type Overdrive Transmissions that went into Ford Vans. Not super strong, Like a regular Top Loader, but more that adequate for a street car engine that is a true driver.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-20-2022, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Ford had some similar 3 speed plus 1 type Overdrive Transmissions that went into Ford Vans. Not super strong, Like a regular Top Loader, but more that adequate for a street car engine that is a true driver.

Tom V.
A friend of mine bought a new Ford pickup in 1978 that had a 300ci six and one of those overdrive transmissions. As I recall he had to get it rebuilt a couple times, it didn't hold up very well.

Old 01-20-2022, 05:58 PM
Senior Chief

I thought the XXX car was by that company that was buying a lot of old cars and swapping small block Chevy's and newer drivelines into them, so that people wanting an old car, but "better" drivability would like them. I can't remember the companies name, but they were in some of the car magazines.

Old 01-20-2022, 06:23 PM

The XXX car was built by Eddie Paul. He does a lot of work for the movies.

Old 01-20-2022, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy597 View Post
Ok random post for the day.

I love Pontiacs and specifically the 66 gto is my favorite with obvious love for the 67 and all other years and models. But there is a couple of items that got me drooling over GTOs and made it my dream car. One was XXX the movie with Vin diesel (I'm 30 so I grew up with it) and the other was a magazine feature on a 66-67 GTO. Well now that I have (close enough) my dream car 66 lemans I am trying to find the rag and article mentioned prior. So I'll try to give details but it was probably about 15-18 years ago ( I know, I know I'm pushing my luck).

I religiously read all the paper rags from the time I was 8 till the got terrible in the last 5-8 years or so. And the magazine I recall did not seam to have the Hot Rod (mag) feel to it in both layout and article.
It was a blue 66-67 tempest, lemans, gto (but I'm pretty sure it wasnt a GTO because I remember that being mentioned how it's the same body.
It was blue
It had an A833/my6 trans swapped in it

And that's all... Lol. It had stuck with me and I have tried buying a few random years of that vintage or popular hot rodding and high performance Pontiac but have yet to get lucky.

Very very very very long shot but if you have an idea I would love it since it's partly responsible for my obsession.

Thanks.
Could this be the magazine you are looking for? It dated Oct. 2005
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4967.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	582311   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4968.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	582312  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dennis H. For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2022, 11:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That didn’t take long

Old 01-21-2022, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Skippy, you need to watch the movie "Knight and Day" with Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz. She dove the 66 GTO with a 4 speed and Montinique Bronze paint. That is the color my 66 GTO is supposed to be.

To me the one in XXX wasn't all that cool. It was probably a converted 66 Lemans. LOL

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
The Following User Says Thank You to GT182 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2022, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis H. View Post
Could this be the magazine you are looking for? It dated Oct. 2005
DUDE!!!! Holy crap I think that might be it! It's honestly been so long I'm not sure but man it looks right to me. Do you want to sell it? Or I can try to find it on eBay.

Old 01-22-2022, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Skippy, you need to watch the movie "Knight and Day" with Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz. She dove the 66 GTO with a 4 speed and Montinique Bronze paint. That is the color my 66 GTO is supposed to be.

To me the one in XXX wasn't all that cool. It was probably a converted 66 Lemans. LOL
Yes, I love knight and day and Cameron Diaz in a GTO is a dream on its own for sure! Yeah I recently researched t and the movie is ridiculous and the car is (in my grown up opinion now) ruined. But non the less it cought my eye as a kid.

Old 01-22-2022, 02:41 AM
Senior Chief

Another great (and often overlooked) Pontiac movie car is of course the ‘70 GTO driven by Warren Oates in Two Lane Blacktop. I don’t know what ever became of that particular GTO, however the ’55 used in the movie (driven by James Taylor and Dennis Wilson) was said to be the same ’55 that was used for Bob Falfa’s car in American Graffiti.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to Vid For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2022, 04:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In the 1986 Movie "Something Wild" with Melanie Griffith and Jeff Daniels, a Linden Green '67 GTO convertible is featured a whole bunch in the first half of the movie, followed by a '70's Cat or Bonne convertible in red.

Old 01-22-2022, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy597 View Post
DUDE!!!! Holy crap I think that might be it! It's honestly been so long I'm not sure but man it looks right to me. Do you want to sell it? Or I can try to find it on eBay.
If you think it is the one you want, it is yours if you pay for shipping.

Dennis

Old 01-22-2022, 09:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Knight and Day is an awesome flick- pretty accurate for a movie too although I’m thinking for some reason the get the year off by one on a full size Grand Prix?

This movie is the reason my 66 is gold. It fits in with my movie car collection:

Bandit
General Lee
Fast and Furious Grand National
Cannonball red Trans Am
Joe Dirt 10th anniversary TA
Dazed and Confused Orbit Orange GTO (except my OO is a 71)

The Following User Says Thank You to 1965gp For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2022, 09:58 PM
Senior Chief

Rob Lowe’s character (he was the ‘villain’) in the first Wayne’s World movie drove a red 66 GTO vert in a couple of scenes.