Old 01-19-2022, 07:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Condolences on the loss of your wife, that would surely be very difficult.

Onward with your dream (hopefully not nightmare) and making some $$$ for Steve B (bought my 60 engine from him). Here are my thoughts and opinions.

As I see it, there are three major issues you must deal with, (1) motor mounts, (2) transmission linkage, and (3) trans mission cooling.

(1) motor mounts: two ways of doing it, (a) use pre 59 mounts, (b) use 59 mounts.

(1a) use front 55 front mount, no problem. For the rear trans mounts, Jack has the right idea: "It's possible a late-'56-'58 bellhousing (with rear engine mount bosses) could be used between his '59 engine and tranny- but I don't know for sure." I'm not sure about that either. Maybe? If you can do that, then you would need 56 CC crossmember or 57 crossmember for rear mounts. You would need to make a couple of small adaptor plates, not difficult.
(1b) weld in mount points on frame for 59 engine side mounts and use rear trans mount with a custom crossmember. I've heard of this being done but with a problem. The engine mounts caused twisting of the frame. So, if you used this approach you would also need a crossmember near the engine mounts to prevent the twisting of frame (I think). This doesn't seem like a good choice.

(2) for trans gear selector linkage you might use a floor shifter or maybe a 56/57 steering column with the P position. Don't know much about that. For throttle linkage, the 55 linkage might work, not sure.

(3) transmission cooler might be done with a 57 auto trans radiator which has trans cooling in lower radiator. That would bolt into the 55. Otherwise, you might install a trans cooler somewhere under the hood towards the front, or perhaps a custom radiator.

These are just my beginning thoughts for further discussion. I likely haven't thought of everything and I'm not an "expert" on doing this!

Old 01-27-2022, 12:35 PM

Was just rereading you message me (thank you) and the part about the rear motor mounts hit me. Before starting this project, I did as much research as possible (Why I got a 59 engine) (could not find a copy of book "How to install a 389 in a 1955 Pontiac") but have a lot of hours on"Pontiacsafari" and as never got my 55 manual back after my rebuild, went to my downloaded copy as I knew had seen Motor Mounts there, exucuse me, rear insulators, and they are bolt on's, only time and summer work will tell if they will work. If I have to, still have the 55 trans in the car.

Dan

2000 Dodge Grand Caravan w w/c lift
2000 Kia Sportage 4 dr
Old 01-31-2022, 10:22 PM

Default Considering using "wrong" trans in my 55lets think

about if all the trouble I am going through with the 59 trans, discuss the 350 & 400 newer overdrive trans. We have lots of discussion on using the origonal trans, thoughts on newer?

These trans are available on Facebook marketplace (with other Pontiac stuff well priced), rebuilt by companies, craigs list, ect! But what do I look for. How much trouble will using the 350 or 400 take, What parts will be needed to complete the job. When looking years ago just the adapter was almost a thousand $.

I need thoughts, information, and opinions. Who has actually done this? I don't think it will be a bolt in so what is needed! Kingman Man (why doesn't someone live close)

2000 Kia Sportage 4 dr
Old 01-31-2022, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 694.1 View Post
Really looking forward to more posts on your project.
I have a Left manifold for ya, are you "manifold worthy"?
Think so, how much, how to get it here?

2000 Kia Sportage 4 dr
Old 01-31-2022, 10:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

PM sent

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief