Old 01-12-2022, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I told the Moderators when I left that IF they made it safe to post again I would help out if/when needed. I was told that was the case.

As always I'll stick to topics that I have a LOT of direct experience with and nothing from "Google" or other sources, just what I've done here. Transmissions were the main game for me for many years, then when the carburetor business got out of control I backed off of things that take up too much space and more complicated, time consuming and less profit margins, etc.

So engines, transmissions, diff's and a few other things had to go.

When it come to the TH400 I would highly recommend taking the plunge and doing your own. I wrote my book for the hobbyist who likes to do their own work, not filling it with highly technical information and outlining all sorts of special tools or procedures needed, etc. Of all the transmissions out there one could take a crack at on their own the TH400 is among the easiest and least complicated. It's also incredibly strong as indicated earlier, so "upgrades" for big power levels not really needed other than noted and that saves a lot of money as well.

I also hate seeing folks getting dragged into "upgrades" or spending a lot of money when they aren't really getting a lot of return for their dollar spent. My comment above about "builders" only investing a few dollars in a complete overhaul of the TH400 then charging HUGE prices for them is accurate. I've known a few of those folks over the years, they talk the big talk, sucker you into spending thousands and you could have done the same thing with equal results for about what a Big Mac and a coke cost these days!

Anyhow, the shift program is the KEY to success with any of these units and there is a fine balance between "short" shifts and firm "apply" to get excellent performance without being incredibly hard on the trans internals and drive line parts. NEVER is there a need for "window shattering" shifts and for sure that's the best way I know to roll over the sprag or bust up the hard parts in a TH350 or TH400. The factory used accumulators, waved steels and even waved frictions for a reason, so keep that in mind when setting up your transmission, even if it is used behind a big CID high torque engine..........Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2022, 12:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good to see you back on the forum Cliff. Welcome back!

Old 01-12-2022, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
I told the Moderators when I left that IF they made it safe to post again I would help out if/when needed. I was told that was the case.

As always I'll stick to topics that I have a LOT of direct experience with and nothing from "Google" or other sources, just what I've done here. Transmissions were the main game for me for many years, then when the carburetor business got out of control I backed off of things that take up too much space and more complicated, time consuming and less profit margins, etc.

When it come to the TH400 I would highly recommend taking the plunge and doing your own. I wrote my book for the hobbyist who likes to do their own work, not filling it with highly technical information and outlining all sorts of special tools or procedures needed, etc. Of all the transmissions out there one could take a crack at on their own the TH400 is among the easiest and least complicated. It's also incredibly strong as indicated earlier, so "upgrades" for big power levels not really needed other than noted and that saves a lot of money as well.

I also hate seeing folks getting dragged into "upgrades" or spending a lot of money when they aren't really getting a lot of return for their dollar spent. My comment above about "builders" only investing a few dollars in a complete overhaul of the TH400 then charging HUGE prices for them is accurate. I've known a few of those folks over the years, they talk the big talk, sucker you into spending thousands and you could have done the same thing with equal results for about what a Big Mac and a coke cost these days!

Anyhow, the shift program is the KEY to success with any of these units and there is a fine balance between "short" shifts and firm "apply" to get excellent performance without being incredibly hard on the trans internals and drive line parts. NEVER is there a need for "window shattering" shifts and for sure that's the best way I know to roll over the sprag or bust up the hard parts in a TH350 or TH400. The factory used accumulators, waved steels and even waved frictions for a reason, so keep that in mind when setting up your transmission, even if it is used behind a big CID high torque engine..........Cliff
Thank you for your responses here and thank you for publishing the book on rebuilding TH400s. I just started reading it last week. I'm still intimidated by the idea of rebuilding an automatic transmission, but I'll read the book and then give it a try on my own.

Old 01-12-2022, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You'll be fine with it. Look thru the Chapter on tools and see if you can fill that bill. If you have, can make, borrow or fabricate what is needed then accomplishing the task becomes much easier. Folks are simply scared to death of automatic transmissions mostly because of the valve body and related components. I will admit that it is pretty intimidating when you remove the valve body and see all those passages where the fluid flows and check balls falling on the floor! Once again a TH400 has a good set-up there as well and about all you'll be working on in the VB is modifying or replacing the 1-2 shift valve if you want full control of the 1-2 upshift. Otherwise it just gets a good cleaning and put back in place right before buttoning things up unless you are installing a shift "kit", and even then that's not much more than removing a few valves and replacing the springs on them........

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 01-12-2022, 10:45 PM

Welcome back Cliff!

Old 01-13-2022, 09:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post

It's so good to see you back on the forums Cliff, I have missed seeing your posts... welcome back

Old 01-14-2022, 08:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks. Since I'm mostly "retired" I woln't be on the Forums as much, working on a LONG list of "bucket list" items at the moment.

The parts business is still open so keeping me busy there as much as I want to be. Just finished up a long remodeling project in the house and getting ready to start another one........

The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2022, 08:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

CLIFF, as usual, your guidance is spot-on, and on-point. I too am glad to hear your thoughts in type.

Home and house remodelling has me consumed as well. PY helps me relax

Old 01-16-2022, 09:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

FINALLY got this room finished and moving on to another one. This was a mechanical room before I started on it. The furnace, water heater, etc are behind the grey barn-doors. I'm certainly glad I don't do this sort of thing for a living........I'd be in the Welfare line within a week!........LOL.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3469.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	582043   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3467.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	582044   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3472.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	582045  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post: