THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-15-2021, 03:26 PM

Ahh great commercial thanks for sharing.
Happy Holidays.

Old 12-15-2021, 04:22 PM
Senior Chief

Almost makes me want to go out and buy a new Impala - NOT! Actually, you can’t even buy a new Impala, they don’t make them anymore. A good example of why GM went bankrupt - we’re all excited to see the latest Chevy commercial featuring a 55 year old Impala SS 427 390 horse convertible rocket ship… Anyways, sorry to be a Negative Nancy but that’s what I thought when I watched it.

Old 12-15-2021, 05:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We’re waiting on a new Chevy from Korea. Maybe 40 years from now, some Korean guy opens the garage and sees his GM vehicle in there he built as a teenager So he gets the local drift crowd to restore it for him.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱

Last edited by burd; 12-15-2021 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-15-2021, 08:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sstuff View Post
There is a 4 minute version of this commercial that has a little more to it.

Chris.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4-oyBnknHk

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 12-15-2021, 08:08 PM
Senior Chief

I had a 66 Impala hardtop. love that body style.

Old 12-16-2021, 01:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Canamman View Post
Looks like @ 2:30 that it is a 427, not a 396.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
The Following User Says Thank You to vertigto For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2021, 08:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They should have made it a rare Yenko too

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 12-16-2021, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That is a 427.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2A5C1655-7F86-4E61-AA47-0D9F11C1A014.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	579796  

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
The Following User Says Thank You to 60sstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2021, 08:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sstuff View Post
That is a 427.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	427.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	579808  

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 12-17-2021, 08:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This one from 2012 also featuring a mid 60's full size was a good one..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy7FaeHVD8o

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 12-17-2021, 08:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Not a commercial, but just as heartwarming and a Pontiac to boot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_mUEPK2nXg

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vertigto For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2021, 09:44 AM
Senior Chief

If you are ever offered the opportunity to be a part of something like this, my advice is to just jump in with both feet and haul ass. We (family and a handful of friends) did something like this for my Dad, when his health began to decline around 2007. It took two years to do his 389 powered Studebaker. It hadnt run since 1969. We took from 2007 to 2009.

What was supposed to be a "wedding anniversary" party was the premise behind getting his old hot rod club buddies together and unveiling the car. By unveiling I mean starting it up from a number of houses away, doing a rousing 30 second, three gear burnout, and then pulling into the parking lot just ahead of the smoke cloud. I did it all while wearing one of those clumsy boots from breaking your right foot a week earlier!

We listened to him and his old club buddies BS about the old days, and it was one of the best days of my life. He and most of them are gone now.

Was the car perfect? No. We didn't have TV budgets, a hundred workers nonstop, vendors trucking parts in every hour. I took some shortcuts that were necessary, and I made a good handful of mistakes. When you mention the project to someone that can help, they always do, and the enthusiasm is infectious. It also led me to stop doing business with a guy that always did spot on machine work for me, and for the first time ever, I didnt double check what he did. I have a screwed up 455 pontiac that I still havent taken apart as a result.

Urgency is a big motivator.

Overall, it was a project that badly needed to happen when it did, and it got done.

Like I tell my body work buddy, "It doesnt have to be perfect, but it has to be done."

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan

Last edited by Mr Anonymous; 12-17-2021 at 10:13 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Anonymous For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2021, 11:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mr. A

I totally understand your thoughts.

That Father's Day unveiling is one of the proudest days of my life (even if I couldn't get the 5000 pound Caddy to do a three gear burnout)...

Old 12-17-2021, 11:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That was a well done commercial. And surprising and refreshing with the vintage Chevy.

Brings me to throw in a thought. Remember at Christmas those with loss. They don't all get a restored car to cheer them up. Many here of late have lost spouses, I feel for them at this time of year. I could use a holiday cheer up myself, it usually amounts to my annual bottle of Irish Cream.

That commercial was great, and also reminded me my two sons are in heaven and never got to help me on my dream 70-73 bird plan. Never got to ride in one, except ones in progress before the accidents took them. (Thank God not Pontiac accidents or I wouldn't have one still likely.) Holidays are the never grandkids I dreamed of. Holidays for people with loss are a time of dread in a way, and a time to wish be over.

So think of those folk, don't restore a car for them (or do!) but say hey and just go prop them up a little. It is a sad little club at a cheery time and a challenge.

Old 12-17-2021, 11:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigto View Post

That's a great story.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
The Following User Says Thank You to jhein For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2021, 04:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigto View Post

That hit's close to home as my first GTO was a 68' conv. 4 speed with the chrome front bumper option. It would be cool if it still existed.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 12-18-2021, 02:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
That was a well done commercial. And surprising and refreshing with the vintage Chevy.

Brings me to throw in a thought. Remember at Christmas those with loss. They don't all get a restored car to cheer them up. Many here of late have lost spouses, I feel for them at this time of year. I could use a holiday cheer up myself, it usually amounts to my annual bottle of Irish Cream.

That commercial was great, and also reminded me my two sons are in heaven and never got to help me on my dream 70-73 bird plan. Never got to ride in one, except ones in progress before the accidents took them. (Thank God not Pontiac accidents or I wouldn't have one still likely.) Holidays are the never grandkids I dreamed of. Holidays for people with loss are a time of dread in a way, and a time to wish be over.

So think of those folk, don't restore a car for them (or do!) but say hey and just go prop them up a little. It is a sad little club at a cheery time and a challenge.
I can't begin to imagine such loss, my heart breaks for you.

Old 12-18-2021, 06:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I notice that the ad has now been trimmed back. You don't see the old man putting the wreathes on the pile. A few other things. It's a shame as that ad is a real heart puller. I have watched it multiple times.

I suppose its falling victim to the corporate dollar. Trim it back a bit once the theme is in the viewers mind. Less air time = less cost to GM.

Old 12-18-2021, 09:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heybuck View Post
I notice that the ad has now been trimmed back. You don't see the old man putting the wreathes on the pile. A few other things. It's a shame as that ad is a real heart puller. I have watched it multiple times.
The shorter version has been on TV since the campaign started as far as I can tell (the long version is still on YouTube.) Also, it's pretty common for TV ads to get edited and revised as time goes on.

Something that impresses me is the YouTube video so far has just under a million views, 12,000 likes, and zero dislikes. That's very unusual - no matter what the subject may be, there are always a few trolls who give a thumbs down to videos.

Old 12-18-2021, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Dislike button

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
The shorter version has been on TV since the campaign started as far as I can tell (the long version is still on YouTube.) Also, it's pretty common for TV ads to get edited and revised as time goes on.

Something that impresses me is the YouTube video so far has just under a million views, 12,000 likes, and zero dislikes. That's very unusual - no matter what the subject may be, there are always a few trolls who give a thumbs down to videos.
The dislike button has been disabled on youtube.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge