THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemansboy70 View Post
I feel your pain! Same here.

We've stressed to our counter guys to check EVERY box. Our distribution center sends us badly reboxed stuff more times than I like to admit.
I see you are a NAPA owner or involved in some way with NAPA. I get 90% of my parts from NAPA for my business. My local store just goes nuts when they order a part and it comes to them re-boxed. Depending on the part, I may or may not take it. I have had 2 re-boxed radiators lately. I simply will not install them anymore. One had a stripped cooler line and the other one had so much fin damage from rough handling, I just couldn't put it in a customer car. The guys at my store are completely understanding, but it always means another wasted day minimum to get another part in.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
I see you are a NAPA owner or involved in some way with NAPA. I get 90% of my parts from NAPA for my business. My local store just goes nuts when they order a part and it comes to them re-boxed. Depending on the part, I may or may not take it. I have had 2 re-boxed radiators lately. I simply will not install them anymore. One had a stripped cooler line and the other one had so much fin damage from rough handling, I just couldn't put it in a customer car. The guys at my store are completely understanding, but it always means another wasted day minimum to get another part in.
It's amazing to me how little packing is used on some expensive parts!

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 12-11-2021, 10:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I spent quite a bit more for window regulators for my 69 at autozone. So returning them will be a snap. I forget the brand. Oh yeah Dorman. They work good. I bought three gauge panels from classic industries each time the chrome was buggered. In the end I settled a bit. But at least I could drive to the store although they are Covid friking crazy there and the line was hours long. I wonder how the big names do the restos? There is only so many NOS parts. I also bought a wheel for 600 dollars on Facebook, opened it up to find a nasty letter from the previous buyer explaining all the defects. LOL. The dude apparently never opened the box and sold it to the next sucker. Which would be me. But I’m less picky I suppose. Nice OG 69 steering wheels aren’t exactly falling out of the trees. I think the heater box seals I got for my 69 were the cheapest nonsense I paid for so far. Make your own.

Old 12-12-2021, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
From total crap you wouldn't dare install on even an enemies car.
This made me laugh tonight. I needed it. Thanks for that.

Old 12-12-2021, 08:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

just rebuilt 4 Delco Hi-TQ Starters. The Solenoids may not be good enought to get 4. Been thinking to buy a couple "New" Solenoids but concern for the quality.

Old 12-12-2021, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I went thru 4 repop or rebuilt windshield wiper motors (painted grey) from Auto Zone just after I bought my 66 GTO in July of 2007. Every one of them smoked as soon as I tried them. Returned every one of them and got my money back. Then bought 1 from NAPA that worked as it should right off the shelf and painted the correct black. Even the windshield washer unit on it worked.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 12-12-2021, 12:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sometimes parts are just "stupid" as they come from the factory. Half decent brand Rock Auto sells is SKP chassis parts. Chinese of course. Ball joints for a Mustang come shipped fully assembled with the grease boot and spiralock clamps on both ends. To install, you must remove the boots and clamps to press in and install the upper snap ring. Nearly impossible to remove the spiralock without deforming it or damaging the boot. Should be shipped with these parts not installed.

Old 12-12-2021, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Quality baby!

Now pile on delayed shipping with poorly packed parts. Got a delivery of an Odyssey battery, it thrown in a box four times it's size, NO packing and could you believe it? It was heavily damaged. Yet we have received fan belts in a box packed with pillow packs. lol

Just recently bought a high-lift trans. jack. Box was completely sealed, Missing 1 bolt,nut and washer in a sealed bag. Pump piston all rusty. Instructions were completely useless. It does work though! lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	256322396_605243667377720_6435526598173848760_n.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	579517   Click image for larger version

Name:	257738572_263131055869227_7172847370735963991_n.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	579518  

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 12-12-2021, 08:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Holley has a really good eBay page where they sell their returns, or scratched items at a healthy discount.

I wish the other companies did the same. If they were up front about the open box items and marked them off they would likely have people willing to buy them at a discount.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 12-13-2021, 04:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Harbor freight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
Holley has a really good eBay page where they sell their returns, or scratched items at a healthy discount.

I wish the other companies did the same. If they were up front about the open box items and marked them off they would likely have people willing to buy them at a discount.
My local HF does this with wrench and socket sets missing something. The only thing is it's usually the most commonly used size.

― Calvin Coolidge