Old 10-07-2014, 05:32 AM

Default 69 Trans Am Carb Screen

What holds down the carburetor screen on a 69 TA.Mine seems to want to just sit there.Is there some kind of attachment?Maybe a spot of clear silicone?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	378175  

Old 10-07-2014, 09:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nothing.have never had mine come loose.The air going in the carb will suck it down anyway.Tom

Old 10-07-2014, 04:28 PM

One or the other may be repro.Maybe I take the pan off and try to fit it off the car.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On an original lower pan there are a few indentations or dimples around the perimeter of the rolled lip that sits on the top plate of the carb. These indentations "somewhat" lock the crimped ring on the screen into the base. Either way, the screen is likely NOT going anywhere.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:24 PM

To add to this old thread... these reproduction parts simply do not fit together -- so that is why the screen does not properly seat in the ram air pan.

Likely 2 different manufacturers that failed to communicate with each other when making them.

A shame since the screen is like $80 and a well made part. But the repop pan does not accept it correctly.

Old 05-23-2020, 06:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can tell you that those screens were available long before the lower pans were. Even though there were likely a couple of suppliers of the screens over the years they were probably designed to fit an original pan not a reproduction.