Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 02-02-2014, 05:15 PM
Boost Engineer

2 1/2" of clearance and you would be golden! The Texas Boys put a small scoop at the bottom of the space between the intercooler and the radiator to send extra air upward between the intercooler and the radiator. A simple scoop 2.5" high by the width of the radiator could supply a lot of extra air to the radiator and flush out the trapped air coming from the intercooler making it more efficient too.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2014, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick67bird View Post
Thanks for the help Tom. I am thinking of trying to package the inter-cooler on the grill side of the core support. If I am able to do that I should have about 2 1/2" of clearance. I am in ND right now and just planning, but can not make any firm plans till I get back home and do some measurements.

The good news is I got a new killer job back home and can stop working in the oil fields. I just have to wait for all the paperwork and background checks to finalize as well as my physical results to come back. Finally for once in my life I will have a job that I am not working 60 plus hours every week.
Eastern Washington can get hot as hell -- so the Tx comparison is fair -- and good luck at Hanford -- wink wink

Old 02-03-2014, 03:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeise View Post
Eastern Washington can get hot as hell -- so the Tx comparison is fair -- and good luck at Hanford -- wink wink
Damn you are good.

I think the D ports will hold me back quite a bit, but they will do what I want for now.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll recognize you at the track by the glow -- lol

Old 02-03-2014, 03:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

LOL. I was out there for a couple of years till the big layoff a couple of years ago. The craft that I am going to I should be able to retire out there as most of the workers will be retiring in the next couple of years.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well I am home and finally got all the honeydo lists done. Now I can dig the car out.

How good is the S480 turbo and would it be too big for my application? Would I be better off trying to package two smaller turbos?

Old 04-15-2014, 11:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

ORRRR - I can sell you my whole deal -- I know what guys that glow make out there -- lol

Old 04-15-2014, 11:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Damn you are good.

I think the D ports will hold me back quite a bit, but they will do what I want for now.
I don't see a 340 cfm head holding you back by much. Wonder if the softening people are doing to chambers would be a option to lower compress a bit and help with detonation.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
ORRRR - I can sell you my whole deal -- I know what guys what glow make out there -- lol
Are you stepping up Curt? If I could afford your setup at least I know it works. We do get paid well for the glowing hazard.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by v869tr6 View Post
I don't see a 340 cfm head holding you back by much. Wonder if the softening people are doing to chambers would be a option to lower compress a bit and help with detonation.
I was more worried about the exhaust deficiency. I don't know if it can keep up with the turbos.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How much power are you planning? I generally hear the turbine is the restriction on a turbo car. As has been said before Marty made 1700 HP with iron D ports.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am going to sell the Turbo car as it is a lot of work and at my age -- who needs work -- and I agree with above, its all about how much power you want to make -

Old 04-15-2014, 04:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just a note here. Thoughts about the exhaust ports/flow is quite different once you go turbo. The turbo works by producing a restriction. This restriction slows down the exhaust gases which now uses all of the available port space, but produces stronger exhaust pulses, pressures. If the exhaust is too big you lose some of the pulse strength that pushes the turbine wheel. This is especially important at spool up. Hence, a smaller exhaust port and pipe system is not as bad as an N/A system that relies on the exhaust to take itself out. Plus there is very little to zero scavenging going on in the turbo exhaust. The better the intake, the better the cylinder fill. The bigger the bang, the stronger the exhaust pulse. That's why the turbos work so well on iron heads. The iron head exhaust is not as much of a penalty. May even be a slight advantage. Although eventually the intake port flow will limit power.
Or I may be full of crap too. Ya never know, LOL.

Mark

Old 04-15-2014, 05:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Im thinking you just don't want the ex port to be you limiting factor -- the turbo will get you there soon enough if its

Old 04-15-2014, 07:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks73ta View Post
Just a note here. Thoughts about the exhaust ports/flow is quite different once you go turbo. The turbo works by producing a restriction. This restriction slows down the exhaust gases which now uses all of the available port space, but produces stronger exhaust pulses, pressures. If the exhaust is too big you lose some of the pulse strength that pushes the turbine wheel. This is especially important at spool up. Hence, a smaller exhaust port and pipe system is not as bad as an N/A system that relies on the exhaust to take itself out. Plus there is very little to zero scavenging going on in the turbo exhaust. The better the intake, the better the cylinder fill. The bigger the bang, the stronger the exhaust pulse. That's why the turbos work so well on iron heads. The iron head exhaust is not as much of a penalty. May even be a slight advantage. Although eventually the intake port flow will limit power.
Or I may be full of crap too. Ya never know, LOL.

Mark
Thanks Mark. It sounds plausible to me. I am still researching more on turbos and trying to learn as much as I can. I know Marty made a ton of HP with D ports years ago.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Im thinking you just don't want the ex port to be you limiting factor -- the turbo will get you there soon enough if its
That is it. I am planning on trying to build this right. I really would like to get a set of Don's RA V if I can budget it, but you know how life gets in the way. I was thinking of trying to use my D ports until then.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A choked exhaust port does you no favors... too small or too large a pipe between ports and turbo each have drawbacks though.

What you want to keep in mind is pressure differential... nothing enters the cylinder until pressure there is less than the pressure in the intake. The more restricted the ex port is the greater the boost psi needed to move the same amount of flow through the engine.

For what you have in mind... Dont worry much about your exhaust ports...
opening the exhaust valve a bit sooner than you would with a less restrictive port may be all you need.

Pipe size .... ID near same as valve diameter is fine... 1.75 OD is plenty big enough. 1.625 OD will work fine till they restrict your ability to make more boost.

The merge can be tighter than youd think... much depends on single or twin turbo and whether single or dual scroll turbine is being used. Stay conservative. RA manifolds or even logs with 2.5" outlets can support 1000+ hp.

IMO getting the right sized turbine and housing is the real key to great spool and not losing power potential.
These days Big turbine wheel, Tight AR and big waste gate(s) seem the better way than in past with smaller turbines.

FWIW the Borg S4xx-S5xx turbines are noted for very good spool without being too restrictive at higher boost levels. Not alwats the case with other twin scroll turbos.

Last edited by BruceWilkie; 04-15-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
With D port heads flowing what mine flow what kind of power could be expected with a S475 turbo? I am thinking E-85 with 11 to 1 compression that my motor has now and maybe 7-8 lbs of boost. From what I have read it looks like this is able to be done.
IC not needed at this boost level... I'd hazard a guess the added weight would outweigh the benefit.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Well I am home and finally got all the honeydo lists done. Now I can dig the car out.

How good is the S480 turbo and would it be too big for my application? Would I be better off trying to package two smaller turbos?
The BW S480 is a good turbo, at 467ci it would be close to being on the small side, they run much better with a 350ci range engine. The S475 works well on 325in range engines.

Your heads should be fine, plenty of guys are making 1100WHP range with 317 ls heads that are similar, but not as good as yours on 6.0l engines with a S480 or GT-88 turbo.

On the other hand, several have made 700-1000WHP with stock 5.3ls and a S475.

Its all about matching the turbo and cam to the engine components. The engines above usually use 02 up Z06, LS3, or LS9 cams for budget builds.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventura7211 View Post
The BW S480 is a good turbo, at 467ci it would be close to being on the small side, they run much better with a 350ci range engine. The S475 works well on 325in range engines.

Your heads should be fine, plenty of guys are making 1100WHP range with 317 ls heads that are similar, but not as good as yours on 6.0l engines with a S480 or GT-88 turbo.

On the other hand, several have made 700-1000WHP with stock 5.3ls and a S475.

Its all about matching the turbo and cam to the engine components. The engines above usually use 02 up Z06, LS3, or LS9 cams for budget builds.
Good advise... A pair of S472's with the 83mm turbine wheel (T4 housing)would make a very nice match.(IMO) IIRC the std configuration uses a 1.10 AR but .9 or 1.0 might be a better pick. A single S480 with std T6 96mm wheel 1.32Ar should work well though. Both turbos have wide compressor maps and thus pretty flexible for low to high boost usage.

http://www.forcedinductions.com/productsborgwarner.htm the 400sx72 ETT Jose lists starts at $649 each... However, single or twin Jose will see you get a good match.