Old 01-18-2022, 05:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Arrow 65-66 auto to manual center console conversion

Hey y'all,
I'm converting my 65 LeMans to manual shift and need a decent driver condition manual center console.
Which leads to a question maybe someone can help with....................

The Parts Place add on Epay says you can convert an auto console to a manual .......
is this actually feasible? Would it be fairly correct?

-*-*- Below is what they state on the add for they're conversion kit .*-*-*-*
What you get in our 5 piece kit is the front chrome console, console door, console door housing, console hinge & shifter bezel (base is not included). These key parts will convert any 64-67 GTO or LeMans automatic into a 4-speed.

I really don't have access to a manual console to compare and have a better idea how it's done.
Any help would be greatly appreciated......

Thanks y'all!

Old 01-18-2022, 05:56 PM

You have to remove a portion of the side of the existing a/t console to allow the m/t console top plate to fit. Ask if they include cutting instructions or template.

Old 01-18-2022, 09:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I just looked into that recently. Allegedly the factory cut out the window on the side of the plastic housing for the stick cars. Look at the backside of the plastic; there may be scribe marks or small ribs molded into the plastic of where to make the cuts.

I also saw that Ames has the top repro'd in pot metal as original. The epay stuff is chrome-plated plastic. With Ames you have the choice of plastic or metal.

Old 01-18-2022, 10:05 PM
Senior Chief

I have a decent driver quality 4-speed console if you decide to go that route. Just send a PM.

Old 01-18-2022, 11:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is a Factory Original 65-66 manual shift console for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3A9DBC2B-B780-45C8-83A9-A304EA7DB684.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	582216   Click image for larger version

Name:	E84C3AE6-4EBC-485B-BA73-4A3BC7B11953.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	582217   Click image for larger version

Name:	3A15FE2C-BBF3-4D12-A4A4-E9A0BF594FE5.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	582218  

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Great information provided as always, thank you guys!

madeuce50 and hgerhardt - I'll check out my auto console for cut lines, and will research Ames for the pot metal top plate.

Jack, you have a PM!

60sstuff - thank you very much for the reference pics........that's a beautiful factory original!

Old 01-19-2022, 08:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

PG also sells the console parts. I have their tail light bezels - as good or better than originals. I plan on buying my console parts from them if it ends up being cheaper than rechrome. https://pgclassic.com/collections/gm...s/gto65-131set

Old 01-20-2022, 02:03 AM
Senior Chief

It has always been my understanding that there was only one factory console base for 1964-67 that was the automatic base.

For 1967-67 manual consoles, the factory cut out a section as described by others.

For 1967, the factory cut out a very small section at the left rear of the opening on top for the Hurst Dual gate shifter.

So there was one factory base that was modified (by the factory or factory supplier) to end up with three different consoles for 1967-67 cars.

I think it is important to note that you will need an ACCURATE TEMPLATE to modify an automatic base. As you already know, the base screws into the front mounting plate in a specific location. And the cutout must be precise so the top plate bulge just covers the side of the base but wide enough to accommodate the shifter cup. And lastly, there is one small screw that goes through the base into the lower section of the bulge (see the third picture that 60sstuff posted).

I've restored many of these consoles and there are no molded or scribe marks or anything that would show where to properly cut. Again, an accurate template is a must have to do it properly. It's not hard to do, it just must be done accurately for it to turn out like a factory 4 speed base.

Below is a picture of a blue base I still have that I restored. You can see how the front and rear cutouts look without a top plate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	64-67 GTO CONSOLE BASE - BLUE  #004.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	582254  

Old 01-20-2022, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I made a perfect template many years ago and used it several times. Let me see if I still have it. They aren't hard to make if you have a 4 speed console. Will let you know.

Old 01-21-2022, 07:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Xgoater and Bob, thank you so much for your help. Jack P. reached out and is selling me a manual console, although it has a broken corner/crack on the rear corner of it, I can use it for a reference to modify the spare auto console that I have. I will restore the manual top plate on it. Bob, if you happen to find that template, that would definitely be a big help.
Again, thank you to all for helping me with this endeavor. My poor LeMans has been out of commission going on four years now, I'm very excited to be getting it back on the road!
And best of all, I'll be rowing my own gears now!

If you can't tell......I love this emoji!!!