Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How about this "the sky is blue" thing? Man that gets me mad! IT ISN'T REALLY BLUE!

You people need to get a life. Change it HOT you chicken$h!t$! LOL!

Old 12-31-2020, 02:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The funny part about this post is I actually read the whole thing. LOL

Old 12-31-2020, 03:10 PM
Suspended

Why even change it? Do like my boss with regards to servicing my Freightliner truck, 390,000 - oil and filter changes costs the company money and reduces his yearly bonus if he increases company equipment spending. We don't change oil or filters, just add oil when it gets a gallon low. The oil is a bit thick & black, but the oil pressure is still good and it doesn't burn it, so rings must be OK. Just keep your RPM's low to keep wear down. This way draining the oil hot, warm, or cold never comes up as an overthought issue or in conversation.

Old 12-31-2020, 04:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
I work in a parts store. Some people actually try this. If the seal is broke on the jug...no money back.

Lol
I retuned one because I got the wrong Vis, I take it back and the guy opens it, I said now it’s no good.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 12-31-2020, 04:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You don’t warm up the oil you put back in, it comes out of the can just fine. I don’t recall ever 1/2 can of oil that won’t come out, Or do you guys warm up, your cans of oil too

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 12-31-2020, 04:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Before I put oil back in my engine I will always put a few drops on my wrist to check temperature

2 drops is not nearly enough and 4 drops are way to much

Old 12-31-2020, 06:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfdsteve View Post
Does that not mean you then have a quart in the crankshaft, oil galleries and oil pump, plus another quart up in the heads? Not being a troll, just figure that the longer it sits, the more hits the pan. Unless you are using bacon grease, it aint turning solid when cool so what’s the big deal with warm?
You're right, the longer the engine is shut off, the more oil hits the pan. If you read my post----I said the engine will retain about a quart of oil (total) in the crank, oil galleries, oil pump. Draining the majority of that oil would take days or weeks, hot or cold.

My point was--removing the drain plug when the engine is warm will allow suspended contaminants to drain with the oil instead of allowing contaminants to settle to the bottom of the pan.

This really is becoming a tough group--stating one's opinion gets similar results as posting on a political site. We're here to help each other, not to be trolls.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 12-31-2020, 07:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
You're right, the longer the engine is shut off, the more oil hits the pan. If you read my post----I said the engine will retain about a quart of oil (total) in the crank, oil galleries, oil pump. Draining the majority of that oil would take days or weeks, hot or cold.

My point was--removing the drain plug when the engine is warm will allow suspended contaminants to drain with the oil instead of allowing contaminants to settle to the bottom of the pan.

This really is becoming a tough group--stating one's opinion gets similar results as posting on a political site. We're here to help each other, not to be trolls.
And my point, as clearly stated, was that I wasn’t trolling but in fact asking a legitimate question. I was told 50 yrs ago when I was a boy that you waited until the oil drained back. But clearly you spend too much time on those political sites.... whatever

236 244@ .050 108 LSA .511 lift, duration 289,297 @.oo6
Edelbrock Aluminum 87cc round port heads Larger valves ,ported polished and cut
Powerjection3,T2 manifold, Try-y’s
Flowcooler water pump.
71 formula with TKO600,hydraulic clutch 3.42 posi and 26 inch tire.
17x9 YO Honeycombs with Nitto 555's
Old 12-31-2020, 07:27 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post

1 Quart retained up in the engine? That does not even make sense - info must have come from a Hot Rod magazine. And how much contaminants do you suspect is left behind? I thought the purpose of an oil filter is to filter contaminants - at least that was what I have been told for 40 years.

The best way to rid the left over oil is to build a bonfire under the oil pan to burn off the remaining oil. What will be left is ash and contaminate particles and then by inserting a high pressure air hose into each valve cover, the remaining ash will blow out the drain plug. DO NOT install the drain plug when blowing out the ash as it will balloon the oil pan and you won't ever get a true reading of the oil fill level on your dipstick - ask me how I know this.

Old 12-31-2020, 07:51 PM
Suspended

Old 12-31-2020, 07:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim1959 View Post
1 Quart retained up in the engine? That does not even make sense - info must have come from a Hot Rod magazine. And how much contaminants do you suspect is left behind? I thought the purpose of an oil filter is to filter contaminants - at least that was what I have been told for 40 years.

The best way to rid the left over oil is to build a bonfire under the oil pan to burn off the remaining oil. What will be left is ash and contaminate particles and then by inserting a high pressure air hose into each valve cover, the remaining ash will blow out the drain plug. DO NOT install the drain plug when blowing out the ash as it will balloon the oil pan and you won't ever get a true reading of the oil fill level on your dipstick - ask me how I know this.
I dunno. No scientific data to back it up but my e heads trap enough oil to give me issues if my oil gets even remotely low. Heck , you could store a quart per head in those big valve covers. Not that it’s supposed to fill up but apparently I neglected to open up the drainage holes as most suggest.
No biggie. I won’t ask any more questions.

Flowcooler water pump.
Old 12-31-2020, 08:01 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfdsteve View Post
I dunno. No scientific data to back it up but my e heads trap enough oil to give me issues if my oil gets even remotely low. Heck , you could store a quart per head in those big valve covers. Not that it’s supposed to fill up but apparently I neglected to open up the drainage holes as most suggest.
No biggie. I won’t ask any more questions.
Ya, I heard that about them. So I did own hermetically sealed scientific study certified by the World Car Association on how much oil is actually held in a stock Pontiac iron head because of all the BS I read about the subject.

So how much oil does a Pontiac head hold? 40 CC's per head.

https://www.gtoforum.com/threads/how...1/#post-905521

Old 12-31-2020, 08:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by burd View Post
You don’t warm up the oil you put back in, it comes out of the can just fine. I don’t recall ever 1/2 can of oil that won’t come out, Or do you guys warm up, your cans of oil too
Just try this with a modern "can" of oil. I double dog dare ya.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	heating-the-oil-.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	557293  

Old 12-31-2020, 08:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
Just try this with a modern "can" of oil. I double dog dare ya.

Just a wild guess, that sure looks like Smokey Yunick's boots, and pit uniform in the picture. I know exactly why he's warming up the oil, because back in the day racing oil was like molasses, and he's trying to make it pour quicker during a pit stop.

They didn't run dry sumps back then, and 5 quarts wouldn't make the entire 500 miles without adding to the engine during a race.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 12-31-2020, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Just a wild guess, that sure looks like Smokey Yunick's boots, and pit uniform in the picture. I know exactly why he's warming up the oil, because back in the day racing oil was like molasses, and he's trying to make it pour quicker during a pit stop.

They didn't run dry sumps back then, and 5 quarts wouldn't make the entire 500 miles without adding to the engine during a race.
Correct. Smokey really didn't leave anything to chance.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gettyimages-150003636-612x612.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	557294  

Old 12-31-2020, 09:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim1959 View Post
Ya, I heard that about them. So I did own hermetically sealed scientific study certified by the World Car Association on how much oil is actually held in a stock Pontiac iron head because of all the BS I read about the subject.

So how much oil does a Pontiac head hold? 40 CC's per head.

https://www.gtoforum.com/threads/how...1/#post-905521
Ok, now I agree with Dick. What a bunch of assholes.....
See ya

Flowcooler water pump.
Old 12-31-2020, 09:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
Correct. Smokey really didn't leave anything to chance.

That's a classic pic, I've seen it before. Back in the day when Pontiac was "allowed" to race by GM. I read Smokey's cars had 3" main blocks with cut & welded 421 cranks.

65 Tempest, 400, TH400
86 Fiero SE 2.8
Old 12-31-2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Tenderized.

Closed Thread