Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 11-18-2008, 11:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Why Is Helmet Rule So Loose?

This year NHRA mandated that all cars running 9.99 and quicker will require a full face helmet (two years after all the Snell 2000's ran out and everybody like myself went and bought a brand new open face helmet like I've had all my drag racing career and now it's useless... Go Figure!) I was watching a program on the Speed Channel called LUCAS OIL ON THE EDGE - MATCH RACE MANIA with nostalgia style replicated or restored cars like The Zombie AA/FC, front engine dragsters and A fuel altereds. One of the match races was Arnie "The Farmer" in the Tameless Tiger 64 GTO Against Jim "The Animal", of course Arnie ran in the low 7's near 200 MPH with the same exact open face helmet I just bought... What's up with that! Thanks D. Miles

Old 11-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It is called revenue sharing. Same with the 2 year seat belts and the SFI tranny shields. How can a piece of aluminum expire? It might expire once it has done its job. I am all for safety, but it seems the gouging increases every year with new requirements ie diapers.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I thought it was always closed faced helmets 9.99 and quicker?
The seat belt thing is ridiculous.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I blame these things, in general:

1) people who won't buy safety stuff unless you force them to.

2) people who might buy it once and keep using it forever; no matter how torn-up, beat-up or otherwise inadequate it gets.

3) liability attorneys who are anxious for any entity with money to "not properly warn my client".

4) new crashes bring new knowledge about what works and what isn't adequate

JMHO,

Eric

FYI: Arnie is using a full-face helmet now.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Full face helmets for 9.99 and quicker went into effect January 2008....just one year after I purchased a new open helmet and had it custom painted. Darn!!!

Due to the current economic conditions...the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Meet you at the finish line.....don't be late!
Old 11-18-2008, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool

Just wait. That window net deal will be next now that people know it doesn't need replaced I.E. rulebook.

1) people who won't buy safety stuff unless you force them to. Agree

2) people who might buy it once and keep using it forever; no matter how torn-up, beat-up or otherwise inadequate it gets. But disagree with the term limits

3) liability attorneys who are anxious for any entity with money to "not properly warn my client". Agree, you can thank racers for this one.

4) new crashes bring new knowledge about what works and what isn't adequate. Agree

Old 11-18-2008, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Full face helmets for 9.99 and quicker went into effect January 2008....just one year after I purchased a new open helmet and had it custom painted. Darn!!!

Yes, Karen has a nice open face helmet that was flip flop painted. Oh well. on the shelf for the Pontiac Dude future museum. LOL.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:53 PM
Suspended

nhra sucks..its that simple..they want to make sure their "sponsors" get paid regardless of how the guys the put on the show feel..its a massive "bail-out" program that was devised years ago..
the rules are bs..full face, diapers, belts every 2 years even if the car is in dry storage..or even if the belts are in a box from factory(yes they "wear
out"..total bs)

race on the street..kill people..that will teach them..make it so hard and expensive nobody will play..then the greenies win, and nhra goes down..

you would think in a reduced economy, nhra would be looking to save itself, not the safety equipment guys..

Old 11-18-2008, 01:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool

NHRA is saving itself. They lowered the roll bar safety requirements from 11.99 to 11.49 because of lost revenue, not because of safety. Explain that one to me.

One dude bites the dust and a million racers have to suffer the new rules.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONTIAC DUDE View Post
NHRA is saving itself. They lowered the roll bar safety requirements from 11.99 to 11.49 because of lost revenue, not because of safety. Explain that one to me.

One dude bites the dust and a million racers have to suffer the new rules.

AND with that 11.49 roll bar rule comes the fact that you can use what ever sun rotted 30 year old, 2" paper thin seat belts you choose in your 11.50 at 115 and higher if you throttle stop mph race car.

Sandy, UT
---------------------------------------------------
Old 11-18-2008, 01:35 PM
Suspended

i heard they lowered the et for rollbar becuz lots of new cars are that fast, and the guys were bitching about tearing up their street cars..new vettes, vipers, mustangs, even gtos with good "dyno-tunes" are running fast..cant tell a guy who just spent 50k on a car he has to chop it up to race..and since it has belts, why change them..the rule about stock belts in slower cars is ridiculous..just like its against the law to run sfi harnesses on the street..if the dot has not checked it, its illegal..if you change tires on your car, its illegal..if you change the color, you must notify dmv..how about that idea?..stupid but true..enforced, maybe not..the frkin world is insane..just like me..except i am special..