73-77 A-body TECH Includes 73GTO, LeMans, Grand Am, Can Am

Old 11-05-2002, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just to set the record straight on these and post some worthwhile info in this seldom-used topic.

I believe chrome tips were part of the dual exhaust option. If you ordered a 4bbl engine or the optional performance axle ratio, dual exhaust was a required option.

Reproduction '73 A-body chrome tips are available from Performance Years. These are for all '73 A-bodies with dual exhaust except station wagons. They are unique to 1973 and won't fit other years unless you use '73 tailpipes or cut the ends off your tailpipes to make them fit.

The '74 chrome tips are shorter and are essentially the same as '68-69 Corvette tips, commonly available from Corvette restoration suppliers. Here are side-by-side pictures, Pontiac on left (or first) and Corvette on right (or below).

To the best of my knowledge, A-body chrome tips were dropped after 1974. Catalytic converters [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] were introduced in 1975 and there were no more dual exhaust systems. If anyone knows about any chrome tips used for 75-77, please post your comments.

Old 11-05-2002, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just to set the record straight on these and post some worthwhile info in this seldom-used topic.

I believe chrome tips were part of the dual exhaust option. If you ordered a 4bbl engine or the optional performance axle ratio, dual exhaust was a required option.

Reproduction '73 A-body chrome tips are available from Performance Years. These are for all '73 A-bodies with dual exhaust except station wagons. They are unique to 1973 and won't fit other years unless you use '73 tailpipes or cut the ends off your tailpipes to make them fit.

The '74 chrome tips are shorter and are essentially the same as '68-69 Corvette tips, commonly available from Corvette restoration suppliers. Here are side-by-side pictures, Pontiac on left (or first) and Corvette on right (or below).

To the best of my knowledge, A-body chrome tips were dropped after 1974. Catalytic converters [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] were introduced in 1975 and there were no more dual exhaust systems. If anyone knows about any chrome tips used for 75-77, please post your comments.

Old 11-05-2002, 06:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know of any chrome tips for 75-77. In fact, I was unaware of the chrome tips for 74 until you showed them here. I have a pair of NOS 73 tips, but they aren't for sale, nor will I ever put them on anything. Great info! Thanks for the tips (no pun intended).