The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 04-13-2005, 07:03 PM

Has anyone out there ever used Nason brand base coats? The color that I need through my Dupont supplier can only be mixed in Nason and I would like any pros or cons. Thanks already.

Old 04-13-2005, 07:03 PM

Has anyone out there ever used Nason brand base coats? The color that I need through my Dupont supplier can only be mixed in Nason and I would like any pros or cons. Thanks already.

Old 04-13-2005, 07:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Honest opinion - it sucks. Big time. It (base) does NOT cover well and has to be activated, too. The last time I sprayed it I had to apply at least 10 coats of yellow to blend over (hide) a gray primer spot on a yellow bumper. I try to stick with the PPG DBC line. 3-4 coats tops, then clear.
If you want to use DuPont, I would see if your paint dealer can have DuPont color lab find a close match in Chroma Base and tint to match.
Or see if a PPG dealer can do the same...

Old 04-13-2005, 07:42 PM

Thanks 400-. I can get PPG at $452 a gallon, it's a simple Maroon with silver metal flake - no pearl--! Dupont has no match and Nason has "exact match" supposedly for only $103/gal.. That's my dilemma.

Old 04-13-2005, 07:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I understand. Keep in mind though, you will need MUCH more Nason base and activator to accomplish what a gallon of the PPG will do.
At work we did a 70 'Cuda in B5 blue, and they told us $460+ per gallon because it has alot of mica. We needed two gallons because it was a rotisserie restoration that had to be painted inside and out, and underneath. We got them down to $350 a gallon by saying we would start trying other brands .

Something else to consider is the time it takes to spray 10 coats vs. 3. You still have to wait for the flash time to pass between coats so expect to spend a full day spraying an all-over with Nason. Add to that the opportunity for dust and contamination of the different coats of base and the time spent nibbing those problems out between coats.
Now you know why the Nason is so cheap.

Old 04-13-2005, 08:01 PM

I get a 30% discount with either Nason or Dupont so I will try for a "close match" with Chroma Premier. Have you had any luck with the close matches?

Old 04-13-2005, 08:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, I have, but you may need to spray several test panels to find the one you want. Here's an example.
Recently we had to get paint for a '68 R/T Coronet that is dark blue. As in your case, there was only a Nason formula. PPG did not have a formula. Our PPG jobber called the tech lab and they recommended a Toyota color formula as an equivalent. I tried a small batch and it was too blue. I ended up using the greener variant of the Toyota color and it worked out perfect.
A variant is a slightly differing shade than the "standard", or "prime" formula. Just about all colors have variants that are based on the standard formula, but may be redder, greener, bluer, whiter, yellower, etc. Paint manufacturers have specific formulas for each variant, so it takes some of the hit-or-miss out of color matching.
I hope this helps. If you need to you can e-mail me if you have more detailed questions. I'll try and explain the little bit I know about paint.
sbgoat67@aol.com

Old 04-13-2005, 08:22 PM

Thanks so much.

Old 04-13-2005, 08:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No problem, you're welcome.

Old 04-14-2005, 01:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I used Nason base/clear on a Chevy pickup (black). It seemed to cover ok over gray primer. I put on three coats of base. My GTO will be painted with PPG. The guy at my paint store tells me nothing covers better than PPGs base.

Frame off (resto mod) 68 GTO - 406, 0-deck, E-Head home port 87cc, TRW L2279F30, Comp. flat solid .577/.577 - 248/248@.050 110LS. 700R4, Precision Industries 3 disc 10" lockup 3500rpm, Moser 9" 4.11, Detroit Locker.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:56 PM
"Teacher

Send a message via MSN to

10 coats? really? I recently painted a gold Honda with Nason base/clear. It took four coats, but I started with a sealer coat. I can't imagine painting without sealer. I have no doubt that PPG (Ditzler) is superior, but I also must say that the Honda turned out great. Is your gun hvlp? If so was the volume okay? I had a HVLP gun that could not put out a decent amount of material, so I suppose it was actually a LVLP. Went back to my trusty Devilbiss cup gun and got good results.

Old 04-14-2005, 04:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

does nason not have or reccommend a color valued primer?? they have many for their chromobase systems. a color valued value primer that is near the shade of the top coat will greatly reduce amount of base needed for coverage. I use dupont products everyday @ the factory, but when I spray on my own I upgrade to their finest of lines.