Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-26-2009, 11:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up CV-1 Canted Valve Pontiac Head report.

First off I would like to thank Jim Sammons of Roland Racing for spending years of his time and bringing to the Pontiac market a great High flowing Canted Valve street or race head with multiple intakes and related components for Pontiac.
http://www.rolandracing.com/

A big port head flowing 377cfm@.800 lift & 355cfm@.600 lift out of the box without any port work plus not requiring any offset valve train components to get that number. I also would like to thank Jim for allowing me to be involved in a minor way in the beginning with my observations and ideas with his proto type head before production. Also allowing me to R & D the heads early on with my personal Street/strip pump gas hydraulic roller combo and give him feed back.

I now have 65 documented passes over the course of 10 months with no valve train issues. Period. ET’s in the 10.0 range with 93 octane pump gas, a hydraulic roller in a 3450lb stock suspension car. I haven't had to touch anything.
I have run these heads continuously to 6600 rpm every pass with just a basic Harland sharp 1.7 rocker and 5/16” C.C. moly pusrods/guideplates………… without a stud girdle.
It shows you the time Jim has spent making sure the alignment and geometry is spot on. I have also had the valve train to 7000 rpm on my burnouts on the rev limiter. Made 6 passes at Pontiac in the Park last May on Nitrous thru the traps. 7000 rpm. NO issues. No readjustments or wear issues. Standard 6000 series Ferrea valves. I also have reduced the shift rpm to 5800 and lowered the leave drastically without losing gobs of ET as I have with other brands of heads. So air flow seems to stay pretty constant. I also have a hard time putting heat in these heads in the same car, same radiator and pump compared to past iron and E-headed combos. I have to run the car to the lanes with the pump off to get heat. So far I haven’t even had to use the electric fan. Never over 180 degrees just cruising around or back to the pits. Just running water thru the system. A well designed port system thru these heads. So Thanks, Jim. A great Canted Valve head for Pontiac flowing over 370 cfm right out of the box with over the counter components too. The future possibilities are endless with this head. Casting quality is second to none, core shift and flashing non existent with the CV-1 head & above other aftermarket heads in all brands and makes of American muscle.
I would also like to thank Gaby ……… of Wilson manifolds for his insight, thoughts and possible mods that would do nothing but help improve an already great head. Having worked with Well know NASCAR and Pro Stock teams on head design and function is nothing but a plus for Gaby’s help and insight. Thanks.

So in my book the CV-1 head of Jim Sammons is a force to be dealt with in the NEAR future compared to other brands in competition for the street and racing world.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree, but Ken you also deserve credit for all your hard work and free information you've been willing to share with all of us to make a wise decision when it comes time for a cylinder head purchase. So thanks for all you've done.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ken - teriffic info.

One question- have you experienced valvetrain issues with other combos?
If so, what issues and what parts?

John

Old 01-26-2009, 01:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ken, What Total Advance do these heads run best at?

Old 01-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
Ken, What Total Advance do these heads run best at?

Now remember that I have an 91cc head with 10.75-1 calculated compression. It likes 36/38 with my combo and camshaft. When I ran 90cc E-heads they liked 40/42 total. So the open chamber CV-1 heads seem to like less timing. It will mph the same with either 36 or 38 but i run 38 to give me a little more 60 ft'er with my heavy car and a Powerglide. That's about 4 to 6 degrees less then the E-heads. The closed might even take less as most do when just changing to a higher compression with the same style head.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:01 PM
Suspended

they are great heads ,but i cant get any standard nitrous plate to work well..face it, its a ford intake..the heads can suck up nitrous at a frightening rate when nozzled tho..

Old 01-26-2009, 05:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIN TIGR View Post
they are great heads ,but i cant get any standard nitrous plate to work well..face it, its a ford intake..the heads can suck up nitrous at a frightening rate when nozzled tho..
CV-1's and spray: I have found mounting the bar left to right gives a better even distribution and plug readings with the 73/82 pills i ran with a big shot plate. You do have to trim back slightly the cloverleaf to clear the outside spray holes but i still have the cloverleaf there. Plus i used a std 1/2" open wood plate under the carb at that time. I think a lot of guys make the mistake of trying to mount the plate under the carb and then the spacer which makes the shot go into limbo in the center of the plenum. Just my observations and the CV-1 or E-heads I have run with a plate.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was aware of E-head Total ADV being in the 40s.
That reduced Total Advance for CV-1s indicates to me a better combustion occurs, thus a better head. Thanks, HIS

Old 01-26-2009, 07:09 PM
Suspended

Default Which Head?

Dude,
For all out racing, if you had to pick one (1) which heads is better CV-1 or the Tiger? Pro's & Con's.

GTO George

Old 01-26-2009, 08:05 PM
Suspended

Stirring it up again George? Should I do a Region Warrior on you?

Old 01-26-2009, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by goquick View Post
Stirring it up again George? Should I do a Region Warrior on you?

I didn't make this post to make comparisons and won't. I posted to let people know the positive attributes the CV-1 heads have and maintainance free 65 passes I have made.

The main one for me is to be able to run a street type hyd roller pump gas combo similar to other BBC, Mopar and Ford 500 cu.in plus packages being sold and magazine tested while still maintain high flow capability along with rpm to make big hp. Plus the fact that they are out of the box (375cfm plus) and run great with NO PORT WORK.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:22 PM
Suspended

yes dude..side to side is better..but still wrong on bigger loads..

Old 01-26-2009, 08:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is that 65 passes after welding them back up when they torched between the cylinders or 65 passes altogether from before the issues and after put back together? If it is from the entire time you might want to let people know that there actually have been glitches and the heads have been off and on the car a couple times in those 65 passes...

If it is 65 passes since then accept my apologies for even mentioning it...

Old 01-26-2009, 08:24 PM
Suspended

nitrous tuning issues dont count..it was a mistake not in head design, but in tuning..

Old 01-26-2009, 09:01 PM
Suspended

Default Which head?

I was not trying to stir things up, I was really serious about which head whould be better in a Balls Out race car. I think a lot of racers would like to know. That's all.

GTO George

Old 01-26-2009, 09:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ken.(P-Dude ) as you can see all your hard work hasn't gone unnoticed
everyone really appreciates the testing you have done with the CV-1
heads.

Here's what still blows me away..I think this fact got lost in all the questioning and testing. To take a set of out of the box heads and bolt them on with the only work being done ( a intake port match ) Think about this for a minute 3450 lb street car...with stock suspension and run it on pump gas..mind you with a .650 lift hyd roller cam and run 10.00's just blows me away. And have no issues with the heads or
the valve train...with a added surprise it runs cooler then any other combination you've ever put together. Not having to worry about it over heating is a big plus. Just says allot about the design of the heads.

Your testing with many changes ( which would be very costly to the adverage guy ) has saved a ton of testing and tuning. 65 runs is allot of testing. All I can say is thnak you very much.

Like any new product that needs testing...tuning it just blows me away 10.00's a combo you've work out to show many of us the way. Think about it...what head can you bolt on out of the box and run 10.00's in a 3500 lb car.

Hey we all have different goals with our cars...different budgets...but for a head to do this...with tons of growth potential..knowing it's a top quality head with no porosity...valve seat or guide issues..won't need to spend 2-3 months at a port shop...is what us Pontiac guys have been looking for. We owe you allot for this sacrifice of your time.

Let everyone judge for themselfs if this head is for them.

GTOGeorge who cares the thread isn't about Tiger vs CV-1 head comparison.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:10 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
I was not trying to stir things up, I was really serious about which head whould be better in a Balls Out race car. I think a lot of racers would like to know. That's all.

GTO George

No problem GTOGeorge. I know alot of question do get asked, but Ken's thread was to report what his experience so far is with the CV1 heads, not to compare them to everyone elses.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:15 PM
Suspended

Pontiac Dude, Thanks for reporting your experience with the CV1 heads so far. Not many can use all out of the box heads and run pump gas and back it up with as good as your e.t.'s in same type car set up!

Old 01-26-2009, 10:58 PM
Suspended

Default CV-1 Head

OK, lets go another direction on the CV-1 head. What's the best flow (cfm) numbers you can get out of the head and what's the best flow numbers anyone has gotten out of the head so far?

GTO George

Old 01-26-2009, 11:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

I think Ken is running out of the box CV1's, no porting other than possibly a port match.

So that would be a question for another thread.