Old 10-21-2012, 11:30 AM
Senior Chief

Default 2001 GP GT loss of engine power?

My wifes GP suddenly began to fall on it's face when accellerating. It acts as thoughit isn't getting fuel and the more pedal you give it only makes it worse. Runs great at idle and starts great with no rough idle or anything. From what i have read this may be the catalytic converter causing a blockage of flow. Anyone have this problem? Also, there is a noise from under the hood that sounds like rushing air. Car has 90,000 miles on it and is a 2001 model. Thanks!
Mr. G

Old 10-21-2012, 05:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mass airflow sensor probably going bad, although it will usually turn on the ses light.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:54 PM
Senior Chief

There is no lights on at all. Can the mass airflpow be checked by unplugging it?

Old 10-23-2012, 09:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have had the mass airflow sensor go bad and not turn on the ses. Main symptom is, car idles ok, but when you step on the gas the car will fall on its face like it is getting any gas. (lean condition) When you let off the gas it will catch itself and idle ok again.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:55 AM
Senior Chief

Turned out to be the converter. 2001 & 2002 models had a problem with the converters causing GM to extend the warrenty on them for 10 years or 100,000 miles whichever came first. Naturally we are just past that so I will be paying for the new one. Thanks for the help.