THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-09-2023, 09:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
If possible, these things should just always take place at race tracks. Business for the track, and a place for people to race if they want without it being illegal.
It's a little different type of crowd than a drag/race /show type of group IMO. I would bet only 5% if your lucky would "risk" taking their car down the track. Most tracks have dirt, mud, ruts they would have to drive through/around. Any track allowing people to run would have some cost involved. I personally would be all for it, but not for a large percentage of the "cars and Coffee crowd" I work on a fair amount of cars that go to our local Cars and coffee. The owners are not concerned about how the cars perform at all IMO. If they start easily, cold and hot, can manage to go 60 MPH, not overheat idling for half an hour, that's all they are concerned about. 0-60 mph times, quarter mile, gas mileage, overall performance are not on their radar screen. They just want to be able to putt around in their old cars without having to call a tow truck. That's also the extent of what they are willing to pay me for! Basically, one step above having to trailer their car to a show.

Old 04-09-2023, 10:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

One of the things that got guys spun up was a $20 yearly fee to pay for "security" that is not needed. Guys I know to be worth 7 figures balked at this (maybe why the are worth that much?).

Car in foreground 1st pic is a 2,200ish in production 1970 Formy.

Car in foreground is 1971 T/A with 1993 LT1. He says his is the correct shade of Lucy Blue - I disagree.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230408_102943525.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	610468   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230408_103012071.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	610469  

Old 04-09-2023, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
It's a little different type of crowd than a drag/race /show type of group IMO. I would bet only 5% if your lucky would "risk" taking their car down the track. Most tracks have dirt, mud, ruts they would have to drive through/around. Any track allowing people to run would have some cost involved. I personally would be all for it, but not for a large percentage of the "cars and Coffee crowd" I work on a fair amount of cars that go to our local Cars and coffee. The owners are not concerned about how the cars perform at all IMO. If they start easily, cold and hot, can manage to go 60 MPH, not overheat idling for half an hour, that's all they are concerned about. 0-60 mph times, quarter mile, gas mileage, overall performance are not on their radar screen. They just want to be able to putt around in their old cars without having to call a tow truck. That's also the extent of what they are willing to pay me for! Basically, one step above having to trailer their car to a show.
Exactly why I don’t do car shows and cruise ins for the most part. I don’t feel I have much in common. I like my rides to run top notch, and don’t really care about stone chips and dings. I could go to the drag strip every week and have a smile on my face. Sitting in a lawn chair telling everyone my car runs in the “10’s”, not for me.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.