Old 06-29-2013, 03:36 PM

Default Long Branch manifolds in a 72 GP

I am putting a set of long branch LB-1's from Ram Air Restorations on my GP. I know I have to get the OF-2 oil filter housing relocating kit. I also have to get one of the 90 degree oil filter adapters.

I was curious if anyone has done this and ran into any other issues. How close does the driver side manifold come to the frame where the brake lines run?

How many swapped to these on an engine that was original and still in the car? Those suckers look quite rusted. I suspect it's not going to be easy getting them out.

Is there any issue with these mounting to 7K3 heads that don't have the last drilled hole? Is that only an issue for aftermarket headers?

Old 06-29-2013, 06:45 PM
Suspended

Because the long branch need all the bolts to mount them to seal correctly your going to have to take the heads off & drill where the last hole should be to make them seal . The 7k3 heads have always been a bad spot for those heads. Ifyou have some that seal right now don't distrub them as they will leak if you odn't drill & tap the last hole. Plan on takeing the heads off to drill the last hole or they WILL NOT SEAL. Sorry to be the bearer of ba news but it going to have to be done or they will leak, not right away but within the first few days , as soon as they slip a little bit from getting hot & cold a few times.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:50 PM

Make sure the oil filter adapter's flat.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 06-30-2013, 12:24 AM

Thanks for the feedback. That bad news sucks! I won't pull the heads for a bolt-on mod. I'm in the process of spec'ing a 428 buildup. The Long Branches will just have to wait for it. It will possibly be a year from now that I put it in though.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

There IS hope yet . . .

Spotts performance markets these "L" brackets for just your problem. No personal experience with these, but I've heard they're a good solution.

http://www.spottsperformance.com/headLbracket

Good luck!

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 07-09-2013, 11:31 PM

Thanks!

Old 07-10-2013, 12:18 AM
Suspended

That L-bracket bolts to the back of the head & to the last 2 blot holes in the exhaust manifold & looks terrible, & most of the time they don't work.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:31 AM

My brother has the long branch manifolds on a '69 Firebird with #46 428 head (no outer holes) and they seal just fine. One thing nice about those manifolds, they are still held on by four bolts each so they can still seal, in '69 they all used only four anyway even though the heads may have been drilled and tapped for all six (#62 heads for example).

Old 07-10-2013, 08:52 AM

Thanks for the input. I've been told by RARE I won't have any issues with these sealing.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:46 AM

I put a set on my 71 and didn't have any luck. The adaptor leaked.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grand 71 View Post
I put a set on my 71 and didn't have any luck. The adaptor leaked.
I met a guy at the POCI/GTOAA co-vention this weekend that had the same issue. He told me of some spray-on adhesive that air-cures. He sprayed it on the surface of the adapter and let it dry for several hours then installed it. It never leaked after that. I don't recall the name of the product, but I'll contact him and post it here.