Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-10-2021, 11:41 AM

Default Considering a winter engine upgrade

Considering an engine upgrade this winter. My goal is pretty simple, more power LOL. Nothing wrong with my current setup, I’d just like more as usual .
I’d like to get your opinion on the following upgrades. I think I have narrowed it down to two choices. One is fairly inexpensive and the other is a bit more.

Option #1:
Swap out my current ported 670 heads for a set of ported KRE d-ports (310-325cfm). I plan to buy them from KRE bare & ported and have Paul Carter put them together. Keep my current cam (Lunati Voodoo HR 239°/243° @ .050", ground on a 112° LSA), keep my current rockers, keep my Torker 2 intake and keep my RA manifolds.
At a minimum I would need to purchase the following: heads, ARP head bolts and gaskets.
This is by far the least expensive option. I have been told by some reputable Pontiac engine builder that this should net me around 560hp/600tq.

Option #2:
Swap out my current ported 670 heads for KRE High Ports, unported, North wind intake and change out the cam for a Lunati Voodoo HR 243/251 @ .050, ground on a 112 LSA.
At a minimum, this upgrade would require purchasing the following: Heads, intake, cam, push rods, roller rockers, head studs, headers and gaskets.
This is my most expensive option but I have been told that this would “easily” make 600hp / 600+tq. I have also been reading about the High Ports and found I will need to make or buy and different bracket for my AC compressor since those heads are missing a hole. Not real thrilled about this. I don’t want this upgrade snowball….

Curious what you guys think. If it was your money what would you do?
Would love to hear form those that went from ported iron heads to ported aluminum and their experience.