THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:08 AM
Suspended

Thumbs down NHRA ESPN preempts coverage US Nationals - again!

So...tuning in now to DVR recording of yesterday's Quali and ESPN (but again!) preempting Drag Racing w over two (2) hours of women's US Open Tennis...out of the 2 1/2 hours slotted for Drag Racing.

I remember reading the new Prez of NHRA was quoted pledging to change and correct this....not even close, two (2) hours delayed? Can't tell me they couldn't of made Programing Schedule Changes for NHRA coverag. What a slap in the face for what few Drag race fans are left.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:21 AM
Suspended

Thumbs up

This can't happen fast enough:

Fox to Replace ESPN as NHRA TV Coverage Provider in 2016

The National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) and ESPN have mutually agreed to end their television coverage agreement following the 2015 season. NHRA and FOX Sports officials jointly announced that starting in 2016 the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series will be televised by FOX Sports 1 (FS1) with four events airing on the FOX national broadcast network during each season of the long-term agreement, providing the world’s fastest motorsport with live coverage of a majority of its events...

The new agreement calls for FS1 to provide coverage of Friday and Saturday qualifying and Sunday eliminations for each NHRA Mello Yello Series event, with a minimum of 16 Sunday eliminations shows to be presented in a live coverage format, and the remainder shown either in weekend afternoon or primetime time slots. Four of those live elimination shows will air on the FOX national broadcast network.

“This really is a game-changer for NHRA regarding the presentation of our marquee product, the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series,” said Peter Clifford, NHRA president. “FOX Sports promises to be just the right media partner we’ve been looking for to help give our professional series the stage it deserves and to provide our passionate fans the timely, quality coverage they are craving.”

The Sunday elimination shows will consistently be presented in three-hour programs and the Friday/Saturday qualifying shows will be two-hours of coverage. In addition, FS1 and FS2 will provide multiple re-airs for all of the events. FS1 also will provide coverage of select NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Sportsman Series events. In total, FOX national networks will feature more than 450 hours per year of NHRA programming.

The deal also includes NHRA racing on FOX Sports Racing in Canada and the Caribbean, as well as FOX Sports GO, the critically acclaimed app that provides live streaming video of FOX Sports content at home or on the go, and now available in 70 million households. Customers of participating video providers may access the live stream of FOX Sports’ NHRA programming through the FOX Sports GO app for iOS, Android, Fire Tablets and Fire Phones, Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick, select Windows devices, and on desktops through FOXSportsGO.com. Fans can download the mobile app for free from the iTunes App Store, Google Play, Amazon App Store and Windows Store...

Old 09-07-2015, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It definitely needs help. I think even NASCAR has begun to have races that don't sell out in recent years. Hopefully the network change helps them out. I would hate to see the nhra fizzle out.

I wonder if more people being involved themselves in grassroots motorsports has cut into interest in the big boys. Are Top Fuel cars amazing? Yeah but it's unattainable for most of us. When I moved here to so cal I was surprised at how many co workers dabble in desert motorsports. Dirt bikes and Baja style racing. Even a few road track racers with many nice tracks in reach. But few nascar/drag racing fans among them.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports