Old 03-11-2002, 12:17 PM

My transmission (350) is not turning my spedometer cable. Is this something I can repair myself? Are parts available? If I have it done, anyone have a rough idea of the cost?

Old 03-11-2002, 12:17 PM

My transmission (350) is not turning my spedometer cable. Is this something I can repair myself? Are parts available? If I have it done, anyone have a rough idea of the cost?

Old 03-11-2002, 04:29 PM

Could be the nylon gear on the output shaft that drives the cable.Could be the cable itself or could be the speedometer head.I would pull the drive gear out of the side of the transmission(drain it first) and make sure the teeth are all good.Spin it and see if the speedo moves.If it does and the gear looks good look inside the trans where the drive was.There is a second gear on the shaft that drives the gear on the end of the speedo cable.Inspect that gear as well.You may also have to pull the cable from the back of the instrument cluster and spin the back of the speedo to see if the speedo still works.If the gears are good and the speedo is good then it is your cable.Hope this helps.

Old 03-12-2002, 10:33 AM

already tried the speedometer and cable....that was the easy part. I will try the gears in the tranny......thanks!