Old 03-30-2002, 04:04 PM

I have this vague recollection (had to replace mine in '96) that there is a difference between the part numbers for a '70 LeMans Sport and GTO tail light lenses.

One has plastic 'webbing' or dividers separating the sections (I recall that there were three sections.) Or, the difference was that there is a stainless trim piece on one and not the other?

Or am I wrong here? I'm having a tough time remembering.

Does anyone out there have GM part number listings for both GTO and LeMans taillight lenses? I need numbers for both right and left side, LeMans Sport. I'm trying to verify that I have the correct item on my car, and would like to have the part #s so I can search for them... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[ April 09, 2002: Message edited by: DIY Guy ]</p>

Bought: 1970 Le Mans Sport Convertible (second owner,) Palladium silver, 350/2bbl (sigh) with Comp Cams 268H grind (installed by previous owner), TH350 Trans. Mods: Front suspension: Global West negative roll tubular upper arms, Del-a-lum bushings, Koni shocks, 12" disc brake conversion, 1.1" front sway bar, Rear suspension: Global West tubular control arms, springs, sway bar. Exhaust: Flowmaster 2.5" American Thunder system. Mostly complete: Firewall-forward engine compartment restoration
Old 03-30-2002, 04:04 PM

I have this vague recollection (had to replace mine in '96) that there is a difference between the part numbers for a '70 LeMans Sport and GTO tail light lenses.

One has plastic 'webbing' or dividers separating the sections (I recall that there were three sections.) Or, the difference was that there is a stainless trim piece on one and not the other?

Or am I wrong here? I'm having a tough time remembering.

Does anyone out there have GM part number listings for both GTO and LeMans taillight lenses? I need numbers for both right and left side, LeMans Sport. I'm trying to verify that I have the correct item on my car, and would like to have the part #s so I can search for them... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[ April 09, 2002: Message edited by: DIY Guy ]</p>

Bought: 1970 Le Mans Sport Convertible (second owner,) Palladium silver, 350/2bbl (sigh) with Comp Cams 268H grind (installed by previous owner), TH350 Trans. Mods: Front suspension: Global West negative roll tubular upper arms, Del-a-lum bushings, Koni shocks, 12" disc brake conversion, 1.1" front sway bar, Rear suspension: Global West tubular control arms, springs, sway bar. Exhaust: Flowmaster 2.5" American Thunder system. Mostly complete: Firewall-forward engine compartment restoration
Old 03-30-2002, 05:35 PM
On Vacation

The 1970 GTO tail light lenses has the stainless steel molding. The LeMans didn't. The GTO lenses are about 3+ times more valuable, but they are interchangable. There's a RH NOS GTO lens for sale now on eBay. I think the bidding is currently about $250???

Old 03-30-2002, 07:05 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Glenn:
The 1970 GTO tail light lenses has the stainless steel molding. The LeMans didn't. The GTO lenses are about 3+ times more valuable, but they are interchangable. There's a RH NOS GTO lens for sale now on eBay. I think the bidding is currently about $250??? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow! If that's true, then I have two GTO lenses on my LeMans (stainless trim around edge). Anybody have the part #s for the LeMans part? Also, did the '70 have 'fins' or dividers between each segment? Perhaps I have the wrong year lenses...

Sure would appreciate a close-up photo of '70 lemans and GTO lenses for identification (if I can't get part numbers!)

Old 03-30-2002, 08:00 PM
On Vacation

I was wrong. The bidding for one (only 1) NOS GTO RH tail light assembly on eBay..isn't $250 its $405 and there's 5 days left. Someone needs it really bad. A pair should go for $400 to $500. The same guy put up the same item a couple of weeks ago. I was high bidder at $177.00, didn't make the reserve. I bid what I thought it's worth to me.

The tail lights with the spaces, as you describe are for a '71 GTO. Same guy has a NOS pair of '71's, currently at about $300.

Old 03-30-2002, 08:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

-'70 LeMans Sport had the same tailight lenses as the '70 GTO...all had stainless trim.
-'71 GTO was 1st to use ribbed tailight lense & this lense was also used on '72 Lux LeMans.

Old 03-30-2002, 08:08 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I was wrong. The bidding for one (only 1) NOS GTO RH tail light assembly on eBay..isn't $250 its $405 and there's 5 days left. Someone needs it really bad. A pair should go for $400 to $500. The same guy put up the same item a couple of weeks ago. I was high bidder at $177.00, didn't make the reserve. I bid what I thought it's worth to me.
The tail lights with the spaces, as you describe are for a '71 GTO. Same guy has a NOS pair of '71's, currently at about $300.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I saw the $400 part . There's another one that's going for a little over $50 (claims to be NOS, but I can't see any stainless steel trim, so maybe that's why it's so much lower.)

I just pulled the RH (passenger) side lens off my LeMans, the part number behind the reflector panel (they're small) is:

5962284-2

That's the only part number on the main body. There's another part number on the backup lens (white):

5962302 2

The corner marker light housing (white plastic) attached to the wrap around has:

5962290 2

Can anyone confirm these part numbers as GTO and/or LeMans?

And both sides (left and right) have the stainless steel trim. They're not perfect (but they are in very good condition.)

I'd better keep my car under armed guard while I leave it in the parking lots... sigh.

-Mike

Old 03-30-2002, 08:14 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ol' Pinion head:
-'70 LeMans Sport had the same tailight lenses as the '70 GTO...all had stainless trim.
-'71 GTO was 1st to use ribbed tailight lense & this lense was also used on '72 Lux LeMans.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I posted my last reply before your post showed up. Thanks for the info RE the ribbed taillights.

As I recall, when we bought the car in '96, it had a set of ribbed ones (with some of the ribbing cracked) and we hunted down a set of clean used '70 pieces. I don't know what I did with the ribbed pieces... probably tossed 'em.

Thanks again (still looking for confirmation of correct part numbers -- would make searching for replacements less stressful!)

-Mike

Old 03-30-2002, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Individual plastic casting numbers do not mean anything on these. Over the years I've commonly removed backup light lenses & the two separately cast red lenses from one or more junk lenses & installed them in another which had bad segments.

NOS correct color matched '70 GTO T/L lenses have been bringing $750-$850 a pair for last two years, if someone is giving them away for $400 a pair, well someone got a smoking deal. By color matched, occasionally one will come up with an NOS lense that is more of a maroon shade than it is bright red. Major pain when you are building a concours car. Nice clean unchipped unscratched used '70 GTO lenses will usually bring around $150-225 each (if they are bright red poss more). Best advice, if you're building a driver, use some "glue-ups", or wait for the repro's. If you plan on driving a high point show car buy a set of nice used & save the NOS for pre-show detailing.

[ March 30, 2002: Message edited by: ol' Pinion head ]</p>

Old 03-31-2002, 12:46 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ol' Pinion head:
NOS correct color matched '70 GTO T/L lenses have been bringing $750-$850 a pair for last two years, if someone is giving them away for $400 a pair, well someone got a smoking deal.
[ March 30, 2002: Message edited by: ol' Pinion head ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was a single (RH) piece -- current price is $402.

Here's the URL
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eb...305689&r=0&t=0