THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-17-2024, 04:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Met Don at the NHRA Southern Nationals at Atlanta Dragway several years ago when he was Grand Marshall for the race.
I was a guest of Pontiac and Summit Racing and ended up helping him get a couple of friends in the sponsors suite.
Got my picture with him . Real nice guy.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

USPS Money Orders or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart money gram wire transfer -preferred payments.

If Payment doesn't show up in 3-4 days, I move on to the next person that wants it.

Serious Inquiries Only - Shipping Isn't Free.
Old 01-17-2024, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Cordova TN? Does he live in the area?
I would say it's was Cordova IL?

(close to border of IA & IL)

They had a couple Pontiac races there about 20 years ago now.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 01-17-2024, 09:45 AM
Senior Chief

Yes, that's my ugly mug in the pic with Don. I told the guys in the truck on the way into the lot of the restaurant that it was Don's vehicle. I remember some grumbling to the effect that it wasn't. The group of us had dinner, and afterward, I heard Don giving an amazing amount (!) of instruction to the waitress on how long to microwave his piece of pie. It truly was excessive.

I asked the waitress for their check.
"Is he someone famous?"
"You could say that."

Once he was ready to leave and found out who paid his bill, he came over and spoke to us for a bit. It was an inexpensive way to meet and talk to one of your childhood heroes!

Back at the track the next day, we had some down time, I went walking around with some other crew members and almost got run over by Shirley Muldowney as she made her way to her spot for selling autographs and taking pictures. "Get the hell outta the way, dammit" She proceeded to give me more hell when she saw one of our sponsors on our crew shirts still owed her money from decades ago and wanted something done about it! She is a fireball!

Earlier that same morning, I got a message to get breakfast for a racer friend of mine already at the track. I got his food to go, wrapped it in alyoominium foil, and placed it on the engine of the truck. When we got to the track, he said it was the perfect temperature and just had a savory hint of fan belt.

It was a fun weekend for sure!

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 01-17-2024, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Cordova TN? Does he live in the area?
That's within a couple miles where I got his picture at the old Lakeland Dragstrip.
Cordova, IL. We were there for the World Series of Drag Racing. For anybody who hasn't been there, that should be a bucket list event.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
The Following User Says Thank You to Elarson For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 11:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

At one of my many trips to the museum ,as we pulled in to the driveway,I told the kids,theres Don feeding his dogs in the pen.
We stopped and said hi and left him to his business.His wife Pat was in the museum answering questions and doing somewhat of a tour.

Old 01-17-2024, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
Cordova, IL. We were there for the World Series of Drag Racing. For anybody who hasn't been there, that should be a bucket list event.

Eric
If you want the feel of a National Event from the late 1960's to mid 1970's, this IMO, is as close as you can get today. Wide variety of high quality race cars, Top fuel dragsters, funny cars, gassers, wheel standers, jet cars, top sportsman, pro-mods, nostalgia super stock, all kinds of bracket cars and sportsman cars. Sell out crowd. Stands packed to the gills. Enthusiastic knowledgeable announcers. Great track surface. The World Series of Drag Racing has it all.

Old 01-17-2024, 07:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Gotta love this guy

Gray Baskerville who wrote for Hot Rod for many years referred to him as “Large Father”

Old 01-18-2024, 06:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
If you want the feel of a National Event from the late 1960's to mid 1970's, this IMO, is as close as you can get today. Wide variety of high quality race cars, Top fuel dragsters, funny cars, gassers, wheel standers, jet cars, top sportsman, pro-mods, nostalgia super stock, all kinds of bracket cars and sportsman cars. Sell out crowd. Stands packed to the gills. Enthusiastic knowledgeable announcers. Great track surface. The World Series of Drag Racing has it all.

Nice vintage shot from Cordova.

Also “Big” with his birthday cake . . . . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2124.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	626755   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2125.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	626756  

Old 01-23-2024, 10:57 PM
Senior Chief

Don Garlits and I once had something in common… our accountant! Didn’t ease the pain of paying taxes much though.

Definitely agree what a great ambassador of the sport he is. Met him several times at Englishtown, Pomona and Sacramento. Like others here have mentioned, super nice and so approachable. Right up there with John Force, suddenly you find them almost talking your ear off! That doesn’t happen with Nascar drivers, LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk