Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-26-2023, 01:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Dragncar:
Although I probably CAN do the clutches and steels on the trans, I don't have a lift here and it is much more attractive ( at least to me) to drop off the car and let the mechanic do his thing. I took the time to search Jhein's post on rebuilding his trans and that is nothing I want to do.
Half Inch Stud posted that the trans is either an OA, OB or OC unit . I don't know if this 67 trans will take a 32 element sprang but, if so, I will have one installed.
Thanks.

Old 07-26-2023, 01:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast GTO View Post
I also have a torque converter thru Cliff on it's way to change out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast GTO View Post
I don't know if this 67 trans will take a 32 element sprang.
If it hasn't been opened-up already and had parts changed around, the 32-element sprag should fit a '67 transmission.

Does this trans have a switch-pitch torque converter? If it does, the replacement is going to be...expensive.

Old 07-26-2023, 04:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Correct, the 1967 unit will have the smooth direct drum and accept the good sprag.

For anyone reading this make sure to use a sprial lock ring to retain it. I've seen just enough sprags kicked off the drums on TH400's when the stock snap ring is used to make that a "standard" during all TH400 rebuilds.

If the drum shows "witness" marks where it's been slipping do NOT use it. The best course of action at that point is to obtain a new 4L80E direct drum, or a really nice used one. I like those better anyhow and use the steel apply piston with the molded seals instead of the factory apply pistons with the lip seals.

If you shop around complete 4L80E drums (loaded) can be obtained for about $250. They come with the molded apply piston, 34 element sprag and spiral retaining ring.

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2023, 08:55 AM

A Little hijack here while we are on the subject, as there is very knowledgeable people vell versed in TH400's

I have this trans:
[IMG]

[/IMG]

I guess this is out of a 472 cid cadillac. Did this have an 16 element sprag? and maybe extra cluch packs as cadillacs where heavy cars with high torque?
The case is HD variant with reinforcment ribs on the top bellhousing monts.

-469 ,Butler 310+ Eheads, Hurricane intake portmatched by butler, Butler roller 230/236 @0.50 112 LSA, Johnson lifters, pypes 2 1/2" exhaust, 3.42 yukon duragrip lsd, holley sniper efi, hyperfuel efi tank +++
Old 07-26-2023, 12:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I don't know. I ordered a replacement thru Cliff after giving him all my car's info so it will be correct for my driveline requirements. Converter price did not seem excessive at all.

Does this trans have a switch-pitch torque converter? If it does, the replacement is going to be...expensive.[/QUOTE]

Old 07-26-2023, 12:53 PM

No, it has standard converter. it is in my car and working great. I was just tryng to get some info on this particular th400.

-469 ,Butler 310+ Eheads, Hurricane intake portmatched by butler, Butler roller 230/236 @0.50 112 LSA, Johnson lifters, pypes 2 1/2" exhaust, 3.42 yukon duragrip lsd, holley sniper efi, hyperfuel efi tank +++
Old 07-26-2023, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by djustice View Post
No, it has standard converter. it is in my car and working great. I was just tryng to get some info on this particular th400.
YOUR transmission is a '71. That's years after the switch-pitch was discontinued.

It will, of course, NOT have additional clutch packs. I don't know if it will have extra clutch plates in one or more of the three clutch packs that all TH400s use. (Forward, Direct, and Intermediate) Probably has additional plates. Sounds like an excellent core, except that the tailshaft is probably too long. Many Cadillacs got the long tailshaft where other full-size cars got intermediate-length tailshafts incorrectly described as "long". Intermediate and compact cars got the short tailshafts that tend to be more desirable, and bring higher prices on core transmissions.

The question about switch-pitch was directed to West Coast GTO, who has a '67 Olds transmission, which was the last year of switch-pitch. But then his post which quoted my question got screwed-up, missing the quote prefix, and appeared to be asking you about switch-pitch.

The Following User Says Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2023, 06:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

@djustice, the Caddy AA is likely to have the Spring-Roller..8-Rollers. But could be a smooth DIR with 16-element Sprag.

Caddy TH400 make great cores: Reinforced Case, 8-bolt Front Pumk, Good frictions, torringtons, VB. Nice for F-Body use.

The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Inch Stud For This Useful Post: