Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivera View Post
FJ, this is where Paul previously said the bearing spun (Post 784):

Figure of speech everyone understands. Ever heard someone say they were so hungry they could eat a horse? Do you really go on to believe they could really eat a horse? You police officers take things too literally.

Thanks too all who have defended me, and really understand these things.

520-409-7236
Koerner Racing Engines
You killed it, We build it!
520-294-5758

64 GTO, under re-construction, 412 CID, also under construction.
87 S-10 Pickup, 321,000 miles
99Monte Carlo, 293,000 miles
86 Bronco, 218,000 miles
Old 09-24-2019, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiphead View Post
Congrats to all involved. Hopefully the car can get back to ruining tires. I want to see some smoky gopro footage of this thing getting crossed up.

So where did the damaged piston go? It should be on Joe's desk as a serious conversation piece.

It should have came back with me so I could measure it very closely to see how I could have missed it. That way, at least I learn something else from this whole experience. Having questions without answers is frustrating.

520-409-7236
Koerner Racing Engines
You killed it, We build it!
520-294-5758

64 GTO, under re-construction, 412 CID, also under construction.
87 S-10 Pickup, 321,000 miles
99Monte Carlo, 293,000 miles
86 Bronco, 218,000 miles
Old 09-24-2019, 12:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Paul,
I want to remain cool with you but when you say the bearing spun and was eaten up, being a cop has nothing to do how that's interpreted. That's not a good look! The guys here will eat that up. I say you and I figure out what we spoke about and move on with our lives.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Old 09-24-2019, 01:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtofreek View Post
Figure of speech everyone understands. Ever heard someone say they were so hungry they could eat a horse? Do you really go on to believe they could really eat a horse? You police officers take things too literally.

Thanks too all who have defended me, and really understand these things.
I've never seen "spun bearing" used to describe a different scenario.

BTW, I've defended you plenty in my conversations with Joe.

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
‘66 Lemans, 455, KRE D-Ports, TH350, 12 bolt 3.90 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears (Traded)
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 09-24-2019, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's what I was trying to say. It's a figure of speech, in a language that everyone can understand here, rather than Paul going into great detail of exactly what happened and confuse most people in here. His spun bearing was not meant in a literal sense, but just to explain a situation in a common language for everyone, to "dummy it down" so to speak.

If you want a final explanation in more detail read post 1400.

And yes, there were many throughout this thread that threw stones at Paul, threw him under the bus (another figure of speech) and blamed him. I have a list.

Now I have to go take a chit. Wait a minute you don't take one, you leave it. But everyone knows what that means right?

Old 09-24-2019, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Theory only! It could have run like that for a very long time pissing off the owner every time he drove the car. Not the way to enjoy a great car like a GTO. I drove a Jeep 4.0L with the skirt actually broken off below the oil ring land. Found the entire half of the skirt in the oil pan when I finally took it apart after 2 years and 30K miles of hearing it knock. So the answer is we will really never know. Forged pistons are so soft and pliable, it may have just hung on there and operated indefinitely.
X 2, Mike. It could have been a manufacturer's defect from the part's inception. Mike, I don't know about you, but WHEN was the last time you measured across the skirt tips instead of the barrel of the piston?

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 09-24-2019, 02:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Something new for the engine 'blueprinting' checklists

I'd predict that we will ALL be measuring across the skirts tips from now on.....

I know that I will.

Religiously.

Twice.

Better to learn from someone else's experience (much less expensive for me...).

Glad this all got figured out.

Old 09-24-2019, 03:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
That's what I was trying to say. It's a figure of speech, in a language that everyone can understand here, rather than Paul going into great detail of exactly what happened and confuse most people in here. His spun bearing was not meant in a literal sense, but just to explain a situation in a common language for everyone, to "dummy it down" so to speak.

If you want a final explanation in more detail read post 1400.

And yes, there were many throughout this thread that threw stones at Paul, threw him under the bus (another figure of speech) and blamed him. I have a list.

Now I have to go take a chit. Wait a minute you don't take one, you leave it. But everyone knows what that means right?
That's about the dumbest thing I have ever heard. I'm trying to be good about this but this is getting silly. Nobody in their right mind would consider that a figure of speech. Remember when I used the term "The motor blew up on the dyno" and I was immediately corrected about that. A machinist is going to use a term that is consistent with what it really was..A spun bearing. I have texts from Paul saying it was a spun bearing and he was texting a novice. I think it may be a good idea to just stop trying to sell the "Figure of speech" excuse because even a novice like me can figure out this BS. I may not know about cars but since Paul disclosed that I was in law enforcement (detective) for 28 years, it's safe to say that I can smell BS when I see it. I dont want to do or say anything out of anger but this is getting to be too much. I guarantee that a majority of the people that are reading this "figure of speech" excuse are now shaking their heads and losing respect. You're making it worse for Paul, Formulajones. You may want to stop. Seems like everytime you start cheerleading, things get worse.

Last edited by Va68goat; 09-24-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtofreek View Post
It should have came back with me so I could measure it very closely to see how I could have missed it. That way, at least I learn something else from this whole experience. Having questions without answers is frustrating.
I agree. .040" skirt OD reduction, collapse, whatever, between the gauge point and the bottom of the skirt is a lot. Is it all on one side, or both sides? Is any skirt deformation showing? Is it a MFG issue? Is the top ring or accumulator groove pinched? Any other signs of physical damage?

Lots of good questions could be answered by this burnt offering to the god of speed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	godofspeed.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	520840  

White '67 LeMans 407/TH350/Ford 3.89... RIP
Red '67 LeMans. 407/TH400/Ford 3.25

Last edited by chiphead; 09-24-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I do know that about 95% of the novices that use the term "spun a bearing" have no idea what that means. And they use that same term for every bearing problem they see. You'd be surprised how many people don't know that it means the bearing shell itself rotated. They see a trashed bearing .... "Hey look, it spun a bearing".

It has without a doubt become a generic term for bearing damage outside the world of engine builders. If I was talking to a novice ... yeah, rather than explain the intricacies of a bearing clearance issue, contamination, oil starvation, or machining issue ... it's quite possible I would say ... "Yeah bro, it spun a bearing, I gotta tear it down again."

Old 09-24-2019, 04:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Since I think too literally and I only understand "cop jargon". I found a place for the piston. I call it "exhibit A"! Thats just a figure of speech of course...or is it?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EXHIBIT A.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	520841  

Last edited by Va68goat; 09-24-2019 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:36 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va68goat View Post
Since I think too literally and I only understand "cop jargon". I found a place for the piston. I call it "exhibit A"! Thats just a figure of speech of course!
I like that, I keep an oil pump shaft that broke and cost me a motor.

Old 09-24-2019, 05:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
X 2, Mike. It could have been a manufacturer's defect from the part's inception. Mike, I don't know about you, but WHEN was the last time you measured across the skirt tips instead of the barrel of the piston?
I normally measure the piston at the "Gauge point" provided by the piston manufacturer just like Paul did. In an abnormal situation like our funny car engine I measure at the tip of the skirt because I know that is the largest diameter of the piston......and I know I need at least .0125" clearance between the tip and the wall to keep that engine alive. If I was building the same engine as Paul was, I would not have measured the tips. Until NOW! As it was said, all of us who build engines will be measuring them now after this debacle. All these years and still learning.

Old 09-24-2019, 08:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va68goat View Post
Paul,
I want to remain cool with you but when you say the bearing spun and was eaten up, being a cop has nothing to do how that's interpreted. That's not a good look! The guys here will eat that up. I say you and I figure out what we spoke about and move on with our lives.

Actually, Paul didn't say anything about you being a cop....you did.

Old 09-24-2019, 08:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I do know that about 95% of the novices that use the term "spun a bearing" have no idea what that means. And they use that same term for every bearing problem they see. You'd be surprised how many people don't know that it means the bearing shell itself rotated. They see a trashed bearing .... "Hey look, it spun a bearing".

It has without a doubt become a generic term for bearing damage outside the world of engine builders. If I was talking to a novice ... yeah, rather than explain the intricacies of a bearing clearance issue, contamination, oil starvation, or machining issue ... it's quite possible I would say ... "Yeah bro, it spun a bearing, I gotta tear it down again."
^^^^^ Exactly

But Joe wouldn't know this, he's new to cars. I think he's said that himself about 100 times in this thread.
Which is why Paul explained things initially in layman's terms.

Old 09-24-2019, 08:52 PM

I got a question.....”IF” a bolt or debris/whatever DID go down the intake during the many.many, times the engine has been worked on, was there a mark on the combustion chamber? No scoring on cyl? Or “ multiple” dings and witness marks as it was bounced around?

Old 09-24-2019, 09:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
I normally measure the piston at the "Gauge point" provided by the piston manufacturer just like Paul did. In an abnormal situation like our funny car engine I measure at the tip of the skirt because I know that is the largest diameter of the piston......and I know I need at least .0125" clearance between the tip and the wall to keep that engine alive. If I was building the same engine as Paul was, I would not have measured the tips. Until NOW! As it was said, all of us who build engines will be measuring them now after this debacle. All these years and still learning.
ABSOFRIGGINLUTELY!! Just goes to show we never stop learning....

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 09-24-2019, 10:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Actually, Paul didn't say anything about you being a cop....you did.
Formularjones,
You're not paying close attention. You may be suffering from selective comprehension. Paul mentioned that I was a cop..not me (see picture). As I said before, I may be new to cars but I'm no fool. I have a group of friends that are helping me that know as much about cars as you do or more. If Paul used a "laymans" term to tell me about the failed dyno when I am inexperienced with cars, why he wouldn't he have described the issue instead of using the term "Spun bearing". As I said before, you and Paul both jumped when I said the motor "blew up" on the dyno correcting my laymans term of the failed dyno but yet Paul uses a laymans term to describe the failed dyno on this forum? Come on. You have no idea how much worse you are making this situation. This piston has been inspected by two machinist. I have saved everything since the failed dyno and as I said before, Virginia and Arizona are both one party consent jurisdictions. I have protected myself..believe that! You really don't want to push this where it doesn't need to go. You will be doing Paul a favor by just reading and not typing or feel free to call me..you have my number! As far as I'm concerned, Paul and I are ok, we need to keep it that way.

shoebox1.1,
It's a "theory" that something fell into the cylinder. There was no damage that Paul or my friends found in the cylinder. Paul said it could have been a piece of a gasket that could have gotten in there. There was a slight impact mark on the head as well. I was told that theory of something falling in there is as plausible as the piston hitting the head.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cheerleading.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	520851  

Last edited by Va68goat; 09-24-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:27 PM

Did the head get resurfaced or do we have a pic of that as well?

Old 09-24-2019, 10:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

shoebox1.1,
All the work was done in my garage so no resurfacing was done on the head while he was here.

Closed Thread