Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-21-2010, 10:12 PM

Default Need I.D help.....

I have to change cam as I tore out the #7 exhaust lobe and the new cam I am going to use says I need adjustable valvetrain. So I have been told to use BBC screw in studs and nuts. Here is a few pics of what I removed from the head......only reason I question what I have is that the cam has been changed before...Crane unit with a .490/.510 lift, has dual valve springs, same as COMP recommends for the cam I am to use. Also is there any way of ID'ing wether it is a stock 1.5 rocker arm or 1.65????
Thanks for all your help guys......John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020253_1024x768.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	212797   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020254_1024x768.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	212798   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020255_1024x768.jpg
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	212799   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020259_1024x768.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	212800   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020260_1024x768.jpg
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	212801  

Old 07-21-2010, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well,the pics suck.

Hard to see much.

The rocker arm stud is an OE "bottleneck" stud,and is non-adjustable for the most part.

So I agree those gotta go with most any non-stock cam,and the cam you mentioned is way too big for the non-adjustable set-up,so small wonder it ate a lobe.

What specific part no. is that cam,the only one I found with the lift no.s like that is a pretty dang big hydraulic cam.

And I gotta ask,you say it has dual springs,are you 100% sure of that?

Because the flat wound damper springs dont count as a spring.

I ask that just to be sure the springs are'nt also Crane items,if they were they may be the Crane #99840-16 "single w/damper" springs,and those are junk,and IMO should be pitched as SOP as well.

If they're true dual springs,then likely they'll be OK.

Got any idea what IH those springs are installed @ ?

They should be checked out on a spring tester to be 100% sure,and bring the retainers with when you take them to be tested.

As for the rockers,cant see anything to say much,but if all the rest of this stuff is Crane hardware,then likely those rockers are the Crane 1.5 ratio stamped rockers.

Are the rocker balls smooth or grooved?

Stock ones usually come with smooth fulcrum balls,the aftermarket rockers usually come with the grooved ones.

HTH

Bret P.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:19 PM

OK... I will try and get better pics.....The Crane spec card I recieved from them gives it a grind # HIT-284-2 Part # *283951X
The spring thing is new to me, and it is the flat one...so single spring/damper...thanks for clarifying that!!!
"Got any idea what IH those springs are installed @ ?" Sorry I don't understand this.."NEWBIE"
"Are the rocker balls smooth or grooved?" How do I tell, or where do I look????

Now I do know when I looked on COMP cams website, they gave referance to the same spring/damper set-up I have.....here is their part #995-16
The Cam they recommended for my use is....51-223-4

Thanks for all your help,

Old 07-21-2010, 11:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cam must've been an older Crane cam,they moved the lift around some thru the years.

But yeah that cam was too big for the OE valvetrain.

BTW IH is an abbreviation of Installed Height.

That's a term for the measured distance between the underside of the retainer to the spring seat on the head.

And yeah,if those are the Crane single w/damper springs,they're installed right around 1.600" IH.

But I would'nt recommend using those springs at all,file them in the trash,trust me on this one,they're nothing but trouble in my experience.

As for the comp cam,I dunno,some like those,some dont.

Me myself,I'd pass on that particular Comp cam and find something else,I mostly prefer UD/bullet/Lunati and Crower cams myself.

Or get Comp to custom grind a cam,the 268AH "specialty" cam ground on a 112° LSA would be a nice healthy grind vs. that other grind.

But to give 100% honest recommendations on cams we'd really need more combo info.

For valvesprings,get the Crower #68404-16 springs and they'll drop right in there,no machine work or valvetrain "tricks" required.

Swap to the BBC 7/16" straight studs for sure.

And dont sweat the stamped rocker arm ratios,odds are they're 1.5's as the stamped 1.65 rockers are pretty rare finds these days.

As for the ball,the side the slides on the rocker arm is where I was refering to,they will be either smooth or grooved there.

HTH

Bret P.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:30 AM
Senior Chief

those are stock 1.5 rockers note the pimple every 1.65 ive seen has no pimple as well as aftermarket long slot ones or not 1.5 and 1.65 just my 2cents hth

Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-29-2010, 11:15 PM

OK...

So I have it all torn down and back together. Cam is broken in, adjustable valvetrain now. Now to get my new springs and we wil be good to go..... after the breakin period, I took it for a drive and after a run, you can hear a tick. I traced it to the springs so that should cover everything once they are done.

Thanks for all your help guys!!!!!