The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 09-21-2007, 08:42 PM

Default Stripping Help - Primer Removal

I just started stripping my 70 Bonneville using aircraft stripper. The two layers of old paint came off with ease (and quickly).
My problem is the original primer. The aircraft stripper is having almost no effect on the original primer, even after numerous attempts.
Since the car is solid and the primer is holding tight, would it be possible to retain the original primer or should I get to the bare metal.
What should I use to remove the primer?

Old 09-21-2007, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlemac
I just started stripping my 70 Bonneville using aircraft stripper. The two layers of old paint came off with ease (and quickly).
My problem is the original primer. The aircraft stripper is having almost no effect on the original primer, even after numerous attempts.
Since the car is solid and the primer is holding tight, would it be possible to retain the original primer or should I get to the bare metal.
What should I use to remove the primer?
Sand it off with 180 paper on a sander of some sort. I used a 8" old school air circular sander on mine and once down to primer it sanded easy. Using 180 it did not leave huge deep gouge marks either. Just remember to change paper frequently as its purpose in life is to take off paint. Worn paper on a machine just wastes time.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You may try this
While the stripper is on the primer use some coarse steel wool and wipe it.. It worked on mine Also tried a scraper the razor blade type to scrape as much away as I could 1st

Good Luck
Eric

Old 09-22-2007, 01:19 PM
Senior Chief

Use 80 grit on a d/a. With 180, you'll be sanding for the next year..............

Old 09-22-2007, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ross,
If you are not going to paint the car yourself....leave the factory e-prime on. When done use stripper....wipe down the entire surface with acetone to neutralize any remaining stripper residue. E-prime will prevent rust and then you can turn the car over to your painter.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have to differ on that. Now that the primer has been exposed to the Aircraft Stripper, it MUST be removed. Even though it is still attached, it is affected by the stripper. That goes for any filler, too. Do not attempt to apply new filler over any oldd filler, even if it has been ground down. It will not stay.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have to 2nd what 400 4spd has to say. If exposed to the stripper, it should be removed. irgoatmike

Old 09-23-2007, 09:19 PM
Senior Chief

Some early non catalized primers are not afected by stripper. Laquer thinner may work. I would recomend using a electric varible speed buffer with a 8" sanding disc will make short work of it.

Walter