Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 03-31-2024, 07:05 PM

Default Pontiac 461 oil filter question

I primed my 461 a few days ago with drill had great oil pressure and oil to all rockers I have a Kauffman oil filter housing no bypass , Baldwin filter today I took filter off and very little on in filter is this a problem?

Old 03-31-2024, 07:16 PM

Very little OIL in filter ?

Old 04-01-2024, 06:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Remove the filter and fill it up as much as you can .
Be very sure any air bubbles you might see coming up out of it as you fill it have stopped.

Reinstal it and prime the motor gain and then remove the filter , it should still be at least as full as when you put it on, infact oil may bleed out the top once you break the O ring seal which is as it should be.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 04-01-2024, 07:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968junkerjim View Post
I primed my 461 a few days ago with drill had great oil pressure and oil to all rockers I have a Kauffman oil filter housing no bypass , Baldwin filter today I took filter off and very little on in filter is this a problem?

If you primed the engine (counter clockwise) with no bypass in oil filter housing and your oil filter has no oil in it, that makes no sense to me. The path from the oil pump is into filter, then to rest of the engine. Unless the oil drained back into the oil pan.
Prime it again and when your done, remove the oil filter and check it again. It should be full.

Also, Does the oil filter have a bypass in it. What's your reason for going with no bypass in the oil filter housing? Just be cognizant of the fact that if you have no bypass in the oil filter housing, and no bypass in the oil filter that your relying on the flow of the oil filter to supply oil to the engine especially at higher rpm. This is the race section, so I'm assuming that is your intent with engine. You may show lots of oil pressure on your gauge, but that doesn't necessarily mean you have lots of oil flow. Where are you taking your oil pressure reading from on the engine?

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.

Last edited by chuckies76ta; 04-01-2024 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-01-2024, 12:13 PM

Don’t make sense to me either,so you guys are not using the Kauffman oil filter housing ? I will reprime today. thought maybe it was a quick answer what I am doing wrong. If I got oil to rockers had to go in filter right?

Old 04-01-2024, 04:19 PM

Which oil pan are you running? And how many quarts do you have in it?

Old 04-01-2024, 05:16 PM

I primed it again today had good oil pressure right away oil filter full now. Oil came out after only a few turns. I have a new stock style oil pan with baffle 6qt of oil and oil gauge is hooked to Kauffman housing. And I said it was empty, but today after looking before I primed It did have about 1/4 on bottom.

Old 04-02-2024, 06:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968junkerjim View Post
I primed it again today had good oil pressure right away oil filter full now. Oil came out after only a few turns. I have a new stock style oil pan with baffle 6qt of oil and oil gauge is hooked to Kauffman housing. And I said it was empty, but today after looking before I primed It did have about 1/4 on bottom.
It could be you didn't prime it long enought and the paper or filiment
wasn't complitily soak and after every thing settled the filter wasn't quit
full yet, so I think your good with no problems. jm2cents.

GT